MoPo's status

From Journal Star

Red Report: Signs point to Purify playing Saturday

By The Lincoln Journal Star

Thursday, Oct 04, 2007 - 02:09:40 am CDT

MO’S STATUS: Signs point to Husker senior receiver Maurice Purify playing Saturday against Missouri.

He practiced with the team again Wednesday.

Football has not been the most important matter on Purify’s mind this week after his girlfriend, Reia Shapiro, died in a weekend car accident in the Los Angeles area.

Purify said Monday he didn’t know if he’d return to California.

Asked after Wednesday’s practice if he thought Purify would play, Husker coach Bill Callahan said: “I do, but we’re handling the situation delicately. We have great respect for Maurice and his wishes. We’ve communicated daily on that. I think when he’s ready to make a statement or say something, I’ll leave it to him to do that.”

It is still not known if nose tackle Ty Steinkuhler will play against the Tigers. Steinkuhler missed practice again Wednesday because of an unspecified injury. He left last week’s game against Iowa State in the first quarter.

I hope Mo does whatever he needs to do with this situation. That said, I'm selfishly hoping he plays and in doing so turns in an inspired performance in her memory against the Tigers. He deserves some good things to happen.

As a Mizzou fan, I would selfishly like to see Purify play. I want this to be a great game, and that means having all of they key players from both teams on the field. That being said, the personal tragedy he has dealt with certainly transcends football and I hope he can come to terms with whatever decision he makes.

If I am not mistaken this is more like a friend and ex than a current love. Maybe I am wrong. I think Purify on the field can handle the pressure, this is a tragedy but I don't see a negative effect.

Off the field, a totally different issue. He is a perfect candidate for major self doubt and depression.

didnt know that.

If I am not mistaken this is more like a friend and ex than a current love. Maybe I am wrong. I think Purify on the field can handle the pressure, this is a tragedy but I don't see a negative effect.

Off the field, a totally different issue. He is a perfect candidate for major self doubt and depression.

didnt know that.

Either way, it could still have a negative effect on him. It's really hard to get past something like, especially compounding all the crap he's been through. I hope he plays and does fine, but I wouldn't say it's going to be 100% positive for him if he does.