Venables Rumor?

at this point I highly doubt it. Is he co-defensive coordinator at OU? I think one could argue that going from OU's co-def cord. to NU's head def. cord. would be a step down rather than up.

I wouldn't complain though if he came to Nebraska...OU has had some decent D's in the past. I'm sure we would be better than 77th in the nation against the run or whatever we're currently at.

Yeah, I would think it would be a step down actually. While he's been there, he was co with Mike Stoops who is now head ball coach at Arizona. He was co with Pelini who IMO will be head ball coach at Michigan next year. I think it would be a mistake to come here when he's more than likely very close to a head coaching gig of his own in the very near future.

This is off topic a bit, but my wife and I were talking about it tonight if there has been any more influence over this generation of college coaches than KState's very own Bill Snyder. I didn't realize that the head ball coach at USF was a Bill Snyder decipel at KState. Look at how many coaches under Snyder are now head ball coaches around the country. It's simply amazing considering how good a lot of their programs are as well.

off topic, but i see les miles at michigan and bo at tA&M next year.

i can't back that up. just a gut feeling.

I can't disagree at all because Miles has the Michigan ties. However if I were Miles, I think I'd keep the LSU job for myself and recommend my DC Pelini to Michigan. Michigan has the same kinds of handicaps we have here at NU with weather, recruiting, fan expectations, etc. I do agree that A&M probably looks for a different coach unless Franchione can get it done in the Big 12. When they got shell shocked by Miami, the firing squad got tuned up.

I do like your feeling on Bo at A&M. This conference could see some things. You have Leach and Stoops who both coached under Snyder at KState. Then, you'd have Pelini who coached under Stoops at OU at A&M. Then, you might have Venebles (sp) as DC at NU who used to be under Stoops at OU. This could be one interwound conference with nearly coach knowing the other coaches tendencies and thoughts.

If Miles goes to Michigan and Bo to A&M, who stays at LSU? I would think if Bo were given the two schools to choose from he'd rather stay at LSU?

If you wanted to have a chance at a National Championship, which route would you take--the easy road, or the hard road? If both roads lead to the same destination, I'd take the easier (Big XII) road.

In all honesty, the SEC is as "tough as rain". Big XII, not so much. :)

That's true, but wouldn't you rather take the job that is stocked with a bevy of playmakers (LSU) than go to aTm and have to transition from an option offense to something else and go about rehauling everything? With LSU, he already has a bond with the players and knows the administration. I think I'd stay at LSU.

I was also told that Venables was a coach at NU awhile back( or a low ranking asst.) I dont recall him ever being at NU and I've been watchin the sker's for 35 years now. If Venables was to come here, what better person to scheme against his cousin Bob? ( I think their related?)

God bless Tom Osborne! GBR!!!!!!!! :bonez

http://soonersports.com/school-bio/brent_venables.html

the guy looks capable and knows how to run a defense.

I'd be happy with that. Only question is if BC has the stones to can his friend.

If he wants to save his job, he'd better have. I'm thinking Elmassian too.

I was also told that Venables was a coach at NU awhile back( or a low ranking asst.) I dont recall him ever being at NU and I've been watchin the sker's for 35 years now. If Venables was to come here, what better person to scheme against his cousin Bob? ( I think their related?)

God bless Tom Osborne! GBR!!!!!!!! :bonez

http://soonersports.com/school-bio/brent_venables.html

the guy looks capable and knows how to run a defense.

I'd be happy with that. Only question is if BC has the stones to can his friend.

If he wants to save his job, he'd better have. I'm thinking Elmassian too.

I think it has to be someone from outside the program. Someone needs to bring something new.

Thought I would give you a Sooner's perspective. Brent Venables is an amazing recruiter, but there are quite a few Sooner fans who wouldn't be heart broken if he left, especially if we can get Mike Stoops back. If you look back over the years since Mike took the Arizona job, our #1 problem on defense is the passing game, especially the 7-15 yd routes. It is definitely not because of talent. Our DB's and LB's seem to get lost in the zone that we run. The very first game since Mike took that job was the Big XII Title game against Kansas State. 35-7 loss. We have been missing the killer instinct ever since he left. I can recall very few games when we needed a stop by our defense to put the game away and actually got it. One of them would be the Holiday Bowl against Oregon. However, I can think of numerous games when the defense couldn't get the stop. Umm, Oregon last year (even with the bad calls), Boise State, Colorado this year.........

That being said, new blood is always good and he is a great coach and recruiter. Just wish he could reinstall that killer instinct. I hope you guys get back soon. I miss the days of OU vs. NU with both being ranked high.

Well, he cant possibly be any worse than Coz

While desperate times call for desperate measures and all, I think we should be careful with this attitude.

And, with that perspective from a sooner fan, I think it'd be eerily similar to no one having hard feelings in Wisconsin about Cosgrove leaving. I think what would probably be the best bet is getting a defensive coach from the SEC.

YOU ALL ARE ON CRACK?

ALL of my OU friends want to see Mike Stoops come back because that is the last time OU's Defense was any good. When Bo was there (as Co-coord), Venables ran the show and Bo's influence wasn't as strong as it was in Lincoln. Hiring Venables would be a HUGE mistake.

If we hired Brent Venables, you would be more angry with the program, MARK MY WORDS...........

Thought I would give you a Sooner's perspective. Brent Venables is an amazing recruiter, but there are quite a few Sooner fans who wouldn't be heart broken if he left, especially if we can get Mike Stoops back. If you look back over the years since Mike took the Arizona job, our #1 problem on defense is the passing game, especially the 7-15 yd routes. It is definitely not because of talent. Our DB's and LB's seem to get lost in the zone that we run. The very first game since Mike took that job was the Big XII Title game against Kansas State. 35-7 loss. We have been missing the killer instinct ever since he left. I can recall very few games when we needed a stop by our defense to put the game away and actually got it. One of them would be the Holiday Bowl against Oregon. However, I can think of numerous games when the defense couldn't get the stop. Umm, Oregon last year (even with the bad calls), Boise State, Colorado this year.........

That being said, new blood is always good and he is a great coach and recruiter. Just wish he could reinstall that killer instinct. I hope you guys get back soon. I miss the days of OU vs. NU with both being ranked high.

AMEN