Venables Rumor?

at this point I highly doubt it. Is he co-defensive coordinator at OU? I think one could argue that going from OU's co-def cord. to NU's head def. cord. would be a step down rather than up.

I wouldn't complain though if he came to Nebraska...OU has had some decent D's in the past. I'm sure we would be better than 77th in the nation against the run or whatever we're currently at.

Yeah, I would think it would be a step down actually. While he's been there, he was co with Mike Stoops who is now head ball coach at Arizona. He was co with Pelini who IMO will be head ball coach at Michigan next year. I think it would be a mistake to come here when he's more than likely very close to a head coaching gig of his own in the very near future.

This is off topic a bit, but my wife and I were talking about it tonight if there has been any more influence over this generation of college coaches than KState's very own Bill Snyder. I didn't realize that the head ball coach at USF was a Bill Snyder decipel at KState. Look at how many coaches under Snyder are now head ball coaches around the country. It's simply amazing considering how good a lot of their programs are as well.

at this point I highly doubt it. Is he co-defensive coordinator at OU? I think one could argue that going from OU's co-def cord. to NU's head def. cord. would be a step down rather than up.

I wouldn't complain though if he came to Nebraska...OU has had some decent D's in the past. I'm sure we would be better than 77th in the nation against the run or whatever we're currently at.

Yeah, I would think it would be a step down actually. While he's been there, he was co with Mike Stoops who is now head ball coach at Arizona. He was co with Pelini who IMO will be head ball coach at Michigan next year. I think it would be a mistake to come here when he's more than likely very close to a head coaching gig of his own in the very near future.

This is off topic a bit, but my wife and I were talking about it tonight if there has been any more influence over this generation of college coaches than KState's very own Bill Snyder. I didn't realize that the head ball coach at USF was a Bill Snyder decipel at KState. Look at how many coaches under Snyder are now head ball coaches around the country. It's simply amazing considering how good a lot of their programs are as well.

off topic, but i see les miles at michigan and bo at tA&M next year.

i can't back that up. just a gut feeling.

It would be nice if it happened, but I'm betting that almost all Big XII coaches have clauses in their contract about going to other Big XII schools. That doesn't mean it can't happen, like Chizik going to ISU, but I'd imagine there's a buyout clause or something like that. Stoops seems like a good coach with good character so he may not stand in the way, but that doesn't mean the administration won't.

I'm afraid I don't see it happening.

Ya I dont really see that happening either. On rivals they had an article talking about the current commits and the "expert" said that he was talking to a number of the recruits and they all said they are as solid as ever for nebraska and the only way they could see themselves wavering is if there was a coaching change. Would you rather have a new defensive coordinator or would you rather lose our good incoming freshmen for this class? We all know how patient nebraska fans are.

I can't disagree at all because Miles has the Michigan ties. However if I were Miles, I think I'd keep the LSU job for myself and recommend my DC Pelini to Michigan. Michigan has the same kinds of handicaps we have here at NU with weather, recruiting, fan expectations, etc. I do agree that A&M probably looks for a different coach unless Franchione can get it done in the Big 12. When they got shell shocked by Miami, the firing squad got tuned up.

I do like your feeling on Bo at A&M. This conference could see some things. You have Leach and Stoops who both coached under Snyder at KState. Then, you'd have Pelini who coached under Stoops at OU at A&M. Then, you might have Venebles (sp) as DC at NU who used to be under Stoops at OU. This could be one interwound conference with nearly coach knowing the other coaches tendencies and thoughts.

If Miles goes to Michigan and Bo to A&M, who stays at LSU? I would think if Bo were given the two schools to choose from he'd rather stay at LSU?

I think one could argue that going from OU's co-def cord. to NU's head def. cord. would be a step down rather than up.

disagree because stoops is the the defensive play caller at oklahoma. if this venables (?) does come to nebraska, he would be given quite a bit of leeway with defense.

brent_venables_105.jpg

he looks like parker lewis, tho.

And Parker Lewis can't lose. :):thumbs

Seriously, if Mike gets the axe at Arizona, I could easily see all of this happening. Very plausible.

Only thing I'm concerned with is his connection to the Kitties in Manhattan...

I can't disagree at all because Miles has the Michigan ties. However if I were Miles, I think I'd keep the LSU job for myself and recommend my DC Pelini to Michigan. Michigan has the same kinds of handicaps we have here at NU with weather, recruiting, fan expectations, etc. I do agree that A&M probably looks for a different coach unless Franchione can get it done in the Big 12. When they got shell shocked by Miami, the firing squad got tuned up.

I do like your feeling on Bo at A&M. This conference could see some things. You have Leach and Stoops who both coached under Snyder at KState. Then, you'd have Pelini who coached under Stoops at OU at A&M. Then, you might have Venebles (sp) as DC at NU who used to be under Stoops at OU. This could be one interwound conference with nearly coach knowing the other coaches tendencies and thoughts.

If Miles goes to Michigan and Bo to A&M, who stays at LSU? I would think if Bo were given the two schools to choose from he'd rather stay at LSU?

If you wanted to have a chance at a National Championship, which route would you take--the easy road, or the hard road? If both roads lead to the same destination, I'd take the easier (Big XII) road.

In all honesty, the SEC is as "tough as rain". Big XII, not so much. :)

This year this is true. However, the Big 12 will be back. OU has a freshman QB and Texass has a sophomore QB. You take away McCoy's 4 INT's, they probably beat KState and are still top 10. In the next couple of years, Texass and OU are loaded and will make title runs. IMO, the SEC and Big 12 are a toss up in terms of which one is more difficult year in and year out. One year doesn't make an "easy" road IMO.