Callahan: will he resign or get fired?

First of all, I think we can all agree at this point that things aren't going to work out with Callahan. I am sure Steve Pederson knows the same, even if he isn't saying so publicly, which he shouldn't.

So, do you cut your losses now and find a way to pay Callahan's contract out? NU might say "we can't afford it," but at this point, can we (NU) afford not to? At stake is untold $$ millions in lost revenue to the school, lost TV exposure, etc., etc. The type of millions that would make a buy-out look like pennies.

So after the season, do you say "You're fired, and here's a check for your remaining term"? or do you say "Look, we both know this isn't working. Why don't we allow you to resign and we will come to terms with you on a pay-out"?

If I'm Callahan, I would rather resign and get $4 million, than be fired and get $6 million.

How would this work?

That's a tough one. Right now, the program is still bringing in a lot of money. I don't think it will ever be a money-loser, but right now they might have the money to buy him out and pay someone else a hefty sum to take over. If they wait, who knows? maybe they won't have that money, the NFL won't be knocking on BC's door (which is what he wants, I think), and they'll keep him just because by then, we'll be the ones going nuts over wins at Kansas and Baylor (no insult to KU... I just mean teams like KU of years past). We'll be here saying "Well, he did beat Iowa State and Oklahoma state last year and the team's record was above .500. 4th in the North isn't as easy as it was in the 90s..." And he'll get his contract renewed. Real teams will scramble to get us on their schedule early in the season for practice and we'll be proud of how hard they played. "Positive rushing yards today!"

People have compared this to early TO... yeah, people wanted him fired right away but that's just because he had a hard time with the OU powerhouse (and I can't imagine that the cries for heads were this universal). He was in a position to win the NC inside of 10 years, and was challenging OU fairly early on as well. Now, NU gets it handed to them by #17, gets kicked around by Ball State... come on. Seriously.

We refuse to surrender the big 12 to Texas and oklahoma... and Kansas, Missouri... Colorado. Probably don't want to surrender it to Wake Forrest or Ball State... Iowa. It's just a few more seasons trending this way before we're mentioned in the same breath as Baylor as a team that oughtn't be in this conference.

Anyway, when that day comes, we'll be used to it and there won't be enough connection to TO, CM, BD, and the "old" names to really justify firing a coach for almost winning 3/4 of his games... more than half! Hey! He's statistically better than a coin flip! Whoo! I wonder if they make a foam hand with 50 fingers on it.

No, he will thankfully not be fired and he will not resign. We should not follow the path of Alabama and we do not have the money to hire a Nick Saban. Callahan, who can recruit out of state players due to the WCO, is the best coach we can have currently.

Bullsh#t.

Anyone who thinks that Frank Solich or Turner Gill would be better than Callahan is insane. We'd be 2-4 now, or worse, with either of them as HC.

More bullsh#t.

I don't know if it's bullsh#t, but I will say that the argument is futile. To quote Kip, "Like anyone could ever know that, Napoleon."

No, he will thankfully not be fired and he will not resign. We should not follow the path of Alabama and we do not have the money to hire a Nick Saban. Callahan, who can recruit out of state players due to the WCO, is the best coach we can have currently.

Bullsh#t.

Anyone who thinks that Frank Solich or Turner Gill would be better than Callahan is insane. We'd be 2-4 now, or worse, with either of them as HC.

More bullsh#t.

This must just be making you grin from ear to ear. 'IF' you are a fan of any kind, you are a fan of a dream, not a team. Think about it.

Bullsh#t.

More bullsh#t.

This must just be making you grin from ear to ear. 'IF' you are a fan of any kind, you are a fan of a dream, not a team. Think about it.

f#*k off, dick face. Think about that.

:rolleyes:

Here we go again...

Callahan...going nowhere

Petersen...going nowhere

Cosgrove...tragically, going nowhere. This guy is hopeless, clueless, and has no idea how to run a defense. I'm not going to make excuses for the offense, because it was off-kilter really badly.

But this defense is beyond horrible, and no one should expect anything differently from OSU.

I'd like to think that NU can rebound and play competitively at home on Saturday...but who knows anymore. :hmmph

Bullsh#t.

More bullsh#t.

Thanks for the name-calling. I used to do that in 3rd grade, but I grew up. How's the website going? Got a new-hire coming in? A 'Master Plan' set up to turn everything around on a dime? Just curious if it was anything but hating.

Bullsh#t.

More bullsh#t.

Thanks for the name-calling. I used to do that in 3rd grade, but I grew up. How's the website going? Got a new-hire coming in? A 'Master Plan' set up to turn everything around on a dime? Just curious if it was anything but hating.

Not that this behavior is apropriate or that I think you are a dickface Foppa, but this made me laugh.

Bullsh#t.

More bullsh#t.

Bugeater's account has been suspended for seven (7) days for the above Board rules violation.

While everyone is upset and wanting to vent, that does not constitute an excuse for violations of the rules.

Callahan will not resign or be fired until his contract is up. He is here for a few more years.

I totally disagree. If he's back next year, there will be a rebellion of untold proportions at Nebraska, and the administration knows it full well. A buy-out of some sort is on the way you can bet on it.

I don't think we will see him leave if for no other reason than money. Cally will be forced to have a staff shakeup though if the season continues to go as badly. Translation....Coz and Elmo may see the street.

My hope is that one of his NFL buddies offers him a job and he leaves because I think that's the only way we rid ourselves of him. I just can't imagine Pederson setting aside his ego and firing Callahan.

Not that I disagree, but who in their right mind would hire him? I mean look at what he did at Oakland and now what he's done to our program. I just don't see any coach in the NFL other than Norv Turner or Wade Phillips that would hire this clown.

Memo to Pud: Don't even think about hiring either or these two idiots in the above mentioned paragraph next!

Billy C's buddy John Gruden will hopefully get the Philadelphia Eagles job. That way, he'll hire Billy C as Offensive Coordinator. Billy C will have his wish, and that is to get back to the NFL.

This sounds exactly what had to happen to get rid of the basketball coach.

Just wondering what would that say about Nebraska as a coaching choice when you head coach leaves to coach for some other team and it's not even as the HC?