Cosgrove comment

TheKiD

One thing that stood out to me was in his post game radio show with Jim Rose they talked about the defense and BC said something to the affect of "there are some changes that need to be made on defense and I will take a look at that." Maybe that is my eternal optimism but in the past it would always be WE will take a look at that....maybe this is a hint that he has finally figured it out. For the sake of Husker Nation I hope so.

One thing that stood out to me was in his post game radio show with Jim Rose they talked about the defense and BC said something to the affect of "there are some changes that need to be made on defense and I will take a look at that." Maybe that is my eternal optimism but in the past it would always be WE will take a look at that....maybe this is a hint that he has finally figured it out. For the sake of Husker Nation I hope so.

I doubt we will see Cosgrove leave until the end of the season and even then I will be surprised. Callahan better take control of this team and get things going in the right direction. His job depends on it.

If Coz has been doing this for such a long time... then someone please tell me why he cannot get this unit to have better results. If he knows what to expect... then why doesn't this apply at game times with in-game play calling and adjustments.

One thing I've noticed with his defenses since arriving at NU. They usually get better as season goes along. Hopefully this will be the case for remaining games. Its our only hope Obi Wan Kanobe.

(Think... we haven't lost to OSU @ home since like 1960. We lose Sat. and its another issue to deal with next week. Mayun this team must lead the nation in issues. Its been one after another since 2000.)

I do not believe Callahan hired Cosgrove simply BECAUSE they are friends. In coaching you HAVE to win, so I don't think that he would put his own success in jeopardy to help a friend....a friend who had a pretty good job before he was hired here.

I think that Callahan really thought Cosgrove would give him the best chance for success....period.....or he would not have hired him. Now that may be because they know each other well and Bill figured that they would work well together....but of course he was trying to make a decision that would increase his chance for success.

And i really think this is MORE of a problem than if he would have hired him ONLY because they were friends. He made a very poor business decision when he hired Cosgrove. It shows a lack of judgment and the inability to make these types of decision.

That's a great post with refreshing insight here.

Just had to re-post it.

I am repeating what I said in a previous post so forgive me. Callahan and the defensive minds must have come together in the middle of last week to discuss their strategy for the Missouri game I presume. Then I assume Cosgrove takes front stage and discusses what they plan to do for the upcoming game. At any point in time during this process wouldn't you think Callahan would stand up a say "Please, give me something better than this. Is this the best you can do"?

I would have listened for a couple minutes and put an absolute stop to that crappy game plan. How can you basically play a prevent defense for the ENTIRE game? Players out of their natural position, no aggressive calls, etc. Did they honestly think that strategy would work? Never in the history on mankind has that type of game plann won a game. It was like watching Missouri running the 2 minute offense against a team that was up by 20 and just didn't want to give up the BIG play. Well, they certainly had enough of those.

I have been watching football long enough to know that you must, I repeat must put pressure on the offensive team by any means possible. Rushing 3 players (a couple linebackers at times) is not going to cut it. Any QB in College could have picked our defense apart. Hell, I could've and I am 44 years old and have bad knees.

We have hundreds and hundreds of hours of practice during the year and this is the best product we can put forth? I really feel sorry for the DBs. I really feel that they could make some plays if the QBs would be under more pressure.

We played the 3-3-5 which is what we used last year to be Mizzou. He did try to switch to a 4-man front and it did worse than the 3-3-5. There was no scheme that would have stopped them. It came down to poor play, which goes back to practice and the fact that the coaches have not developed these kids well at all, and the overall lack of enthusiasm on defense.

No, scheme was fine. Execution sucked, and that falls on the coaches. One game and you can put it on the players, all season and that's horrible coaching.

Two of Nebraska's key defensive targets took their first official visit over the weekend to LSU. The first update from that visit had no mention of Nebraska and both Simi Kuli and Justin Thompson had a scheduled visit already set up for the upcoming Texas A&M game on Oct. 20. Are the Huskers a dead issue for the No. 1 rated JUCO defensive end and the No. 5 rated defensive tackle? What is the truth?

yup. i would say so, thanks to Coz and company, these guys are no longer interested in even looking at us! good work Coz, recruiting is now taking a hit.

You know what's sadder than recruiting taking a hit? I watched ESPN, and they really didn't even mention us getting blown out or even talk about the game. It has become so common and we have become so irrelevant to college football. We were once feared. Now opponents salivate thinking about playing us. Within a couple of years, we'll be scheduled for all opponents home coming games!