Wow...just....wow...

I just skimmed through it, seemed like a lot of useless drivel to me.

:rollin:rollin:rollin

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Really. It looks like he set up 4 strawman arguments, simplified them further, and then addressed his non-existent opponents. "These four things are the only things that people are saying."

Really. It looks like he set up 4 strawman arguments, simplified them further, and then addressed his non-existent opponents. "These four things are the only things that people are saying."

Kind of like the strawman, "If I only had a brain."

I actually think the option of both Solich and Callahan suck is correct.

Kind of like the strawman, "If I only had a brain."

I actually think the option of both Solich and Callahan suck is correct.

I think that solich *did* suck, but made some very positive changes his final year. I haven't watched Ohio but I did listen to an interview with Solich recently and it sounds like he learned a lot about changing his style to match the players that he has. I think he really could have done something good the hypothetical following year. He had a fire under his ass and for good reason. But what I really liked was that he was a Husker and part of the family. I bitched as loud as anyone, and if they would have fired him the year before he made his changes (or if he had refused to make any), I would have been satisfied.

Wow...I think y'all just completely missed the point here. I don't read that he's advocating either way to fire or keep the current administration. I think he's simply pointing out that the "Husker Culture" has shifted. And I believe we can look at that terrible night in Boulder as the beginning...of...well...the end. That was the nightout beloved huskers had their swagger taken away. I for one can't recall a game since where it's fealt like it has returned.

Also, I don't think anyone can argue that the current team seems to be wound as tight as a TopFlite golf ball. I've read countless threads on here discussing the same. Can anyone honestly tell me it looks like these players are enjoying themselves out there? Now...I think we CAN point at the coaching staff on this one. Take a look, for example, at how Carroll handles his team. You know they are as scrutinized as any team in the country, yet he keeps the atmosphere loose...and fun. I think (oh great yet another opinion) Callahan's pro...all business attitude...is the problem here. These KIDS have enough pressure to deal with, what with school and grades and all ( I know...I know...it's a free education!!!). He (Callahan)...or whoever...needs to make this fun for them. Lossen things up a bit. I know that when I'm playing golf...and things start to turn south (which is usually sometime right after I step up to the 1st tee box), that me "pressing" doesn't tend to make things better. In fact, it ALWAYS makes things worse. I have to step back, take a deep breath, and relax. Look at how Stoops turned OU around. Not by implementing a business like, professional type system. But rather by showing his players and his coaches that he cared about them as people. By creating more of a family type atmosphere. Remember how...back in the hay days...it fealt like that around here?

Anyway...

GBR!!!

Wow...I think y'all just completely missed the point here. I don't read that he's advocating either way to fire or keep the current administration. I think he's simply pointing out that the "Husker Culture" has shifted. And I believe we can look at that terrible night in Boulder as the beginning...of...well...the end. That was the nightout beloved huskers had their swagger taken away. I for one can't recall a game since where it's fealt like it has returned.

Also, I don't think anyone can argue that the current team seems to be wound as tight as a TopFlite golf ball. I've read countless threads on here discussing the same. Can anyone honestly tell me it looks like these players are enjoying themselves out there? Now...I think we CAN point at the coaching staff on this one. Take a look, for example, at how Carroll handles his team. You know they are as scrutinized as any team in the country, yet he keeps the atmosphere loose...and fun. I think (oh great yet another opinion) Callahan's pro...all business attitude...is the problem here. These KIDS have enough pressure to deal with, what with school and grades and all ( I know...I know...it's a free education!!!). He (Callahan)...or whoever...needs to make this fun for them. Lossen things up a bit. I know that when I'm playing golf...and things start to turn south (which is usually sometime right after I step up to the 1st tee box), that me "pressing" doesn't tend to make things better. In fact, it ALWAYS makes things worse. I have to step back, take a deep breath, and relax. Look at how Stoops turned OU around. Not by implementing a business like, professional type system. But rather by showing his players and his coaches that he cared about them as people. By creating more of a family type atmosphere. Remember how...back in the hay days...it fealt like that around here?

Anyway...

GBR!!!

The author was exactly correct in so many ways. The players on this team probably feel abandoned by now, after hearing/reading so many negatives about them. They've been told that they suck, that they have no talent, and no motivation. Heck, I've said so myself.

After reading this article, though, I was left with the thought . . . what if he's right? What if the Nebraska fan base is largely responsible for the meltdown? He was right about one thing . . . too many fans are far too personally invested in this team's success. In the end, it is about the players and staff, and nobody else. They are playing the games, and nobody else.

Nebraska fans are satisfied with nothing short of championships. Anything short of that means that the players/coaching staff sucks, it seems. A lot of folks are living vicariously through the football team. In the end, though, it is just football, and the problems that are going on in the program are internal. They will have to work it out. It goes beyond individual coaches and players. It is systemic.

Too many are blaming Peterson for this. Let me opine that Peterson has nothing whatever to do with this. He is A/D over many sports; if you blame him for the football woes, then you need to credit him for the volleyball success. In fact, though, he has little to do with it. I think that there are still a lot of Solich fans that hold grudges over his firing.

The problems did begin with Solich teams, and they have gotten worse. I really don't know if a change in coaching is the solution; indeed, perhaps what is needed is continuity, and not continued chaos.

In a nutshell, I don't know if Callahan/Cosgrove et al can solve the problems, but I think that the alternative would only worsen things.

Perhaps we should just let the coaches coach, and the players play. They are all talented; they just need to relax and do what they do well.

Part 2 of this "quoted" post is missing...here it is...

(continued)

First thing I noticed out of the gate this year. Our team is so tight, you couldn’t wedge a thermometer up their butt. They chant “National Championship” out of the huddle.

Restore the order. Quick. This is an ordeal. Don’t enjoy the ride. Just get back to the glory days. NOW! Pronto baby. We must see improvement at all times. Anything less, and we’ll burn you at the stake. We should have a better record every single year till the end of time. We can’t lose to Mizzou—no matter how good they might be. Can’t lose to Kansas. If we don’t beat Wake Forest by at least 17 touchdowns, it’s no good, throw it back. We have to beat a USC or an OU and even if we do, then that probably means they weren’t that good to begin with.

I hate players who quit. I really do. Back in the Solich days, I didn’t understand. I probably owe Solich a major apology for some of the F-bombs I hurled his way.

I’m a passionate fan. And like so many passionate people, my emotions get the best of me. They can be even destructive if I’m not careful.

Then I go to the internet. Holy cow! Some of you people need some therapy. I mean, really, get some help.

The players have been trying. They’ve been trying all along. So have the coaches. Some damn good coaches.

Have you ever been so tight you could hardly focus? Ever been overwhelmed by a situation that you thought you could handle but you just couldn’t settle down? How do you suppose you appeared to others as failure became increasingly obvious? Did they question your heart? Did they lecture you about being a quitter?

If I were fighting Godzilla with a squirt gun, would someone criticize me because I didn’t fire off a few more rounds of water before my demise?

When you’re tight, you get tired easily. You get discouraged easily. Your reactions are slow. You take a fastball down the middle and then swing at a pitch in the dirt. You get disoriented. You go to clobber someone, and they duck out of the way. Nothing seems right. Nothing works.

These guys have been fighting a losing battle. When we fall behind, our offense knows we’re beat so they just panic and try to score 3 TDs on every play. Can’t do it. So failure is inevitable.

Yes, the coaches make mistakes. But again, fighting a losing battle. You blitz, you get burned. You don’t blitz, you get burned. You yell at the players, they go into a shell. You don’t yell at them, they go into a shell.

Our teams are characterized by one basic flaw. No matter what, you can always count on someone shooting themselves in the foot. Especially at crunch time. False starts. Fumbling at the worst times. Missing tackles on third down. Jumping off sides. Dropping passes.

When you fix one thing, another thing pops up. Remember early 2004? Our D was playing pretty well, but Dailey was handing out footballs to opponents left and right. Then Dailey has a great game against Baylor and what happens? All of a sudden our defense falls apart. Out of the blue and to a bad offense. What’s up with that? Callahan simplifies the offense, and we’re bland and predictable. He opens the playbook and the foot shooting begins again.

Solich must have pulled his hair out trying to figure it out. “What do I have to do?” he must have thought to himself. He fired his coaches. We went 10-3. Not bad, almost mediocre. But progress. Yet, couldn’t help but be concerned by that 28 point meltdown late to Mizzou. The K-State meltdown and the Texas fiasco also. The problems were still there. We could feel it. Somehow, Solich, Pellini, and company milked that team through it. Perhaps one of the great unappreciated coaching jobs of all time.

But then the axe fell. We will not accept mediocrity.

5-6 followed. Actually, our poor players went six weeks without knowing what was going on. Not good for the psyche to be sure. Get us back to prominence or else we’ll burn you at the stake. 5-6. Boooo.

Then 7-4. We were 4-0 and coming back on T-Tech when we suffered one of our worst injuries—Stew Bradley went down. The bottom fell out of our team. Sure we were 4-0 but boy did we look weak in doing so. Kind of like 2002 & 2003. Then the losses came and then the loss to Kansas. Man, that team was tight. Wound tighter than any drum. 5-4 and looking terrible. Surely Solich would be avenged and Callahan would be fired. Surely, we wouldn’t win again and could start over. Then Callahan did the smartest thing he ever did as a HC, he gave his team some time off and told them to relax. They struggled against K-State but held together. Then, they played some of the best football in years in thumping CU and beating Michigan.

But the doubts persisted. CU was on the downslide. Michigan really wasn’t that good. We got lucky. We need to see improvement.

Gosh, we’re happy to be 7-4? Since when?

We will not accept mediocrity.

Again we told our team, maybe good, maybe not so good, but either way, still not good enough. You really probably stink. Or maybe you are great and obviously on your way to a National Championship. So get to stepping.

Pay no attention to our lack of DBs. Fear not that after this year we will not have any DL coming back. Fear not that we will lose all our LBs and CBs the next year.

Last year the team was so close. Close to being very good. Close to being kind of bad. Shocking almost lost to Kansas. We escaped. Booo.

Tighten up boys. The stakes are going up.

The loss to Okie State. Callahan should be fired. We beat Mizzou. Give that man a raise. Surely a National Championship is just on the horizon.

Tighten up boys. The stakes are going up. With each failure, with each success, the stakes are rising. The whole state rides your back. My manhood is at stake here. My ability to brag to some guys I barely know is at stake.

This year, we had one chant. Time to play with the big boys, or else. The naysayers sort of conned everyone to believe that anything short of that, and it’s time to start over again. Time to point fingers. Surprise, surprise, the team seemed disinterested in their first two games. Why should they be? Can’t win a NC against Nevada. Can’t win it against Wake Forest. Just survive and bring on USC.

Oops. Almost lost to Wake Forest. Are they that good or are we that bad? Let’s stop and think about it. Hey, what’s that freight train coming right at us? Oh yeah, we almost forgot, that’s USC. I guess we should have been thinking about Wake BEFORE the game, not after. We get embarrassed.

No NC for us. What’s the point now? We failed to do the only thing that us fans would accept as success—beat USC.

While we’re licking our wounds, Ball Friggin State almost (and should have) beats us.

This team lacks focus. Even a decent finish won’t accomplish what they set out to do. It’s not about X’s and O’s, blitzing, motivating, etc. Nebraska teams don’t play this way. So what’s the point. What’s left?

We will not accept mediocrity!

The players know they’ve lost some of the fans. It’s hard to refocus this point in the season with no off weeks. I fear even Tom Osborne would struggle to put this team back together again. Solich lived through it. Now it’s Callahan’s turn.

Folks, we’re not that good. But then again, we’re not this bad either.

Our players need to refocus. They need to relax. Don’t try to bring back the Husker dynasty. Just play hard on every down. I’ll take the losses. I’ll take the lumps.

I honestly don’t feel that we are that far away. But if this team quits, we are in for some rough weather ahead. Those of us who feel we’ve hit rock bottom have no idea how far down rock bottom is yet.

I hope Callahan is up to the challenge. Because if he is not, his replacement will probably fail too.

And Coach, rather you replace your DC or not, heed this advice. Tell your players “GET YOUR HEAD UP!” Have fun. Keep playing even if loss is inevitable. Get the next first down. The next touchdown. Build something. Something real. Not wins and losses. But a string of successes (small successes) that will lead to something down the road.

Ultimately, that is what Cornhusker football really should be about.

But I am still “N”. I was “N” for Solich. I’m “N” for Callahan. I’m “N” for the team and the players—past, present, and future.

Guys keep fighting. I’ll keep cheering you on and hoping for the best.

Blame Pedersen for setting such a bad precedent:

While that was certainly worth the read, the problem is that it ignores the main reason people are reacting so badly. We were basically told that the reason for firing Solich was " we are not going to settle for mediocrity" or something to that effect. Well, what do we have? If this isn't mediocre than what is it? And don't say, it takes time. We all know that. But 4 years, and I have lost track of how much money later I don't even see improvement. It is one thing to lose to Missouri, a very good team, but to play with as little enthusiasm as they did is just painful.

We were also told it was all about recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Well, I think Callahan has had as much time as Solich, and again what results do we have? There is plenty of talent, but the coaching staff is just not the right one for this program. Look at the stats, look at the attitude. They don't have it.

I think most people are okay with rebuilding from scratch, as long as Pedersen and all those he brought on board are not part of it. Their chance to show us what they can do is now, and they are blowing it.

Good points here and there. I agree with some but not all.

Looking back I thought and posted that 2007 would be the year we would be in a BCS title hunt. H. Beck would be leading this team with all the great recruits Callahan was bringing in. Well we all know how that worked out. Callahan rolled the dice on Beck, told Sanchez no and he ends up at USC. It's been musical q/b's ever since, and it's still going on. WCO is to tough to grasp in 1 or 2 years. Steve Young said it took him 3 years to learn the wco in San. F. and that's all he had to do. Now the Huskers do have a large group of q/b's behind Keller learning the system but they are probably 2 more years away from being able to run it with any real success. Ganz has studied it for a couple of years but no playing time. So he plays next year and Witt sits for another year and he starts after that with no real playing time. We are now looking at 2010 for the BCS run! This is all about the offense, who no's what happens with the D by then.

Back to this season, if our D can just play a little better get 4 or 5 three and outs each game at the right times, I still think this offense will put up enough points to win most of the remaining games. There is a ton of talent on this team and the coaches have to figure out how to get them playing up to it.

Have not and will not give up on this season or team.

GBR!!! :bonez

Nice history of whats been goin on at NU. It feels like a documentary speech.

Hes pointing out the hypocrisy of the week by week mindset! The USC loss does not matter that much, we are not a NC team right now, we need to win that Big 12 north title or give it up to KU or MIZZ. Once you win the North, beat that South team, and win your bowl, then focus on next season! ONE DOWN AT A TIME!

Hes saying never give up, there are still 6 games left and we can, no we WILL win them! KEEP BELIEVING IN BIG RED

Good points here and there. I agree with some but not all.

Looking back I thought and posted that 2007 would be the year we would be in a BCS title hunt. H. Beck would be leading this team with all the great recruits Callahan was bringing in. Well we all know how that worked out. Callahan rolled the dice on Beck, told Sanchez no and he ends up at USC. It's been musical q/b's ever since, and it's still going on. WCO is to tough to grasp in 1 or 2 years. Steve Young said it took him 3 years to learn the wco in San. F. and that's all he had to do. Now the Huskers do have a large group of q/b's behind Keller learning the system but they are probably 2 more years away from being able to run it with any real success. Ganz has studied it for a couple of years but no playing time. So he plays next year and Witt sits for another year and he starts after that with no real playing time. We are now looking at 2010 for the BCS run! This is all about the offense, who no's what happens with the D by then.

Back to this season, if our D can just play a little better get 4 or 5 three and outs each game at the right times, I still think this offense will put up enough points to win most of the remaining games. There is a ton of talent on this team and the coaches have to figure out how to get them playing up to it.

Have not and will not give up on this season or team.

GBR!!! :bonez

agree, BUT i have given up completely on the coahes. neither one has a clue, period.

OK, he does make some good points about something fundamentally being wrong with this team. Maybe it is mental, because right now they're not playing like a team. I think Callahan is a great recruiter, but he's not getting it done on the field. I look at guys like Stoops, Pete Carroll, and even Dan Hawkins and they're pretty animated on the sideline. I look at Callahan, and he's looking at his clipboard. A really good coach is the kind of guy that can motivate a team of players to really *believe* that they can do great things. The Huskers don't have that. There is no energy on the sideline. At this point in time we need to be seeing more measurable results from Callahan, and we're not. Is this how he repays Pederson's loyalty, by coaching a team that never mentally exits the locker room? NU hired Callahan with the intent of putting us back on the national radar screen and he's not getting it done. There is accountability here. This is the big show, it's Division I NCAA football. If the players are in a mental funk, then it's up to the coaching staff to help them get beyond that, and I'm not sure that the current staff has what it takes to do so. Maybe the next guy after Callahan will fail, but it will be one more step toward a winning program. Bill Callahan has had enough time to prove himself and what he can do for this program. More appropriately, he's proven what he can't do for this program.