A Nice Day on Campus

Recently, I've been biking to work (or riding my scoot) and have gotten out of the habit of carrying my camera (something I used to do every day, but this year I've been slacking). This morning, though, the weather looked nice, I had plenty of time, so I decided to walk to my office in Teacher College on the UNL campus. When I decided to leave this afternoon, I looked at my camera. The strap can get pretty hot, so I thought about tucking the whole thing in my backpack and not worrying about it. I argued with myself for a few seconds while shoving some books in my bag and decided to carry it. I got a few interesting, albeit worthless, shots on the way across campus... that big red sculpture, some trees, crap like that. I loitered near CBA waiting to get a decent shot of the people working on the roof of the Sheldon (the light at that angle was terrible, but I took it anyway). When I got the shot, I walked off, back toward home. Then I noticed a tall, slightly hunched, older man on the side walk parallel to the one that i was on. "No way!" I thought. I had a stupid grin on my face as I walked just on the other side of some trees and shrubs keeping pace with him. When we met on the sidewalk along R street, I caught his attention:

"Coach Osborne! Hi, how are you?"

"I'm really good, how have you been."

"Great, I didn't expect to see you on campus today... umm... do you mind if I take your picture?"

"No, go ahead."

"Thanks."

"Hope I don't break your camera. Have a good day."

DrTom_SM.jpg

that's about how he looked after his 3rd NC in 4 years.

I'm kind of embarrassed about how giddy I was when I saw him. I'm a fairly shy person and not good at just approaching people to ask for a picture. The biggest thing on my mind was whether to call him "Dr." or "Coach" or "Representative," I suppose, but the latter didn't really enter into my mind at the time. I chimped at the back of my camera for a couple of beats, but saw that we were walking in the same direction. I thought about striking up a conversation with him about the person I work for (she has a lot of great stories about him) or things like that... I thought "Hmmm... okay, I don't want to ask him about the team because I'm not a reporter and I don't want to put him on the defensive... I just think it would be fun to have a little chat..." but he got in his car that was about half a block away (in front of the Lied).

At least I thought to shake his hand. I don't imagine I'll get too many more chances to bump into TO on my way home from work :)

Guy's still looking good! What was he doing on campus?

Doesn't he teach a psyc class? I remember reading something about him teaching again after he lost the Gov race.

Dur. That's right. He does teach a class on leadership in CBA. Okay, maybe it wasn't SUCH a coincidence. I'll take a better lens next time... some lights... see if I can get him to pose on one of the benches after the leaves turn.