You gott'a be kidding me

Teacher

Ok, before I start this rant, let me say up front that I am not a Husker fan, I am very anti-Husker, but please hear me out. I read on too many Husker forums that lots of guys want to see the coach get canned. Please get rid of this coach just like you did to the last one before he really has a chance to get his own program established. It takes two things to make a strong program; good coaching and patience. Good coaching does not happen by the first game or even after a few years. Patience is the second factor that too many of you do not have.

Sure,get rid of your coach before he gets a chance to establish himself. Go to someone else and complain when he doesn't win a national championship in his second season. Get rid of everyone who doesn't start out like Tommy O finished.

If you will just keep getting rid of coaches every few years you will never have anything and all us Husker-Haters can look forward to many years of watching you get it handed to you like what happened in MO.

Ok, before I start this rant, let me say up front that I am not a Husker fan, I am very anti-Husker, but please hear me out. I read on too many Husker forums that lots of guys want to see the coach get canned. Please get rid of this coach just like you did to the last one before he really has a chance to get his own program established. It takes two things to make a strong program; good coaching and patience. Good coaching does not happen by the first game or even after a few years. Patience is the second factor that too many of you do not have.

Sure,get rid of your coach before he gets a chance to establish himself. Go to someone else and complain when he doesn't win a national championship in his second season. Get rid of everyone who doesn't start out like Tommy O finished.

If you will just keep getting rid of coaches every few years you will never have anything and all us Husker-Haters can look forward to many years of watching you get it handed to you like what happened in MO.

you don't get it do you?

four year is enought to establish your self when you take over a 10-3 team.

How long then should Husker Nation wait???????????

10-15 years???????

With the talent we have a top level coach could coach NU to the Big 12 championship game in his first year.

No, four years is not usually enough. Sure, some coaches do it in less time, but many good coaches take longer. Be patient guys. You got rid of a 10-3 coach because of your impatience to win a national title right away and look where you are now. YOU STINK!! Sure, get rid of this guy and then complain about the next one just like you complained about the last one and the present one.

I don't mind. It's going to be a long, rough road until you learn to settle down and back someone through the long haul.

No, four years is not usually enough. Sure, some coaches do it in less time, but many good coaches take longer. Be patient guys. You got rid of a 10-3 coach because of your impatience to win a national title right away and look where you are now. YOU STINK!! Sure, get rid of this guy and then complain about the next one just like you complained about the last one and the present one.

I don't mind. It's going to be a long, rough road until you learn to settle down and back someone through the long haul.

how many of the coaches have had recruting classes like the huskers have had the last couple of years we bring in top talent every year and they play at mid-tier level. That is the coaches lack of ability to motivate.

Don't blame the fans for something that was never in our control. I would blame some of the boosters and a AD that wanted to put his own stamp on the program.

A coach that comes in and uses the excuse that they need better recruits to put in their system for it to work, and after four years later with better recruits has turned in a defense that is almost the bottom of the nation in all catogories. If I was a fan of another team I would try to talk someone out of firing a coach that my team was beating regulary.

I am a HUGE husker fan and would love nothing more than for them to be a dominant team and I agree with everything he is saying. Sure he took over a 10-3 team-that ran the option! He does have good recruits and good players, and I would be an idiot if I said the defense was good. Yes they do have talent and yes I do agree that Coz should go but give Callahan a freakin break. It took Devaney and Osborne a looooong time to get to where they are at. Everybody just remembers the last 5 years of Osbornes career instead of remembering the first 20! Callahan did take over a 10-3 team, however it had so little depth and so little talent at the skill positions that it would be damn near impossible to win right away. This year has not turned out the way that I thought it would but the bottom line is that the team has a lot of talent and IMO the team can turn this thing around at any point. I still do think that Coz should go and lets see what happens with a new d coordinator who can put a little fire in these guys. It would be hard as an offense to have the pressure put on them to HAVE to score every time and drive 60-80 yards doing it every time.

Time? Yeah, I forgot that Bob Stoops took over the #17 team in the country the previous year. What he didn't? He won the NC his what second year? Wow, this is all news to me. Urban Meyer won his second year also? What?

Some teams keep getting rid of coaches until they find a winner. Nebraska chooses to do the opposite. We get rid of good coaches until we can find a loser. Then after he begins his losing ways, we give him a big fat contract extension! I bet the fans at Oakland are begging Al to get precious Bill back!

I am a HUGE husker fan and would love nothing more than for them to be a dominant team and I agree with everything he is saying. Sure he took over a 10-3 team-that ran the option! He does have good recruits and good players, and I would be an idiot if I said the defense was good. Yes they do have talent and yes I do agree that Coz should go but give Callahan a freakin break. It took Devaney and Osborne a looooong time to get to where they are at. Everybody just remembers the last 5 years of Osbornes career instead of remembering the first 20! Callahan did take over a 10-3 team, however it had so little depth and so little talent at the skill positions that it would be damn near impossible to win right away. This year has not turned out the way that I thought it would but the bottom line is that the team has a lot of talent and IMO the team can turn this thing around at any point. I still do think that Coz should go and lets see what happens with a new d coordinator who can put a little fire in these guys. It would be hard as an offense to have the pressure put on them to HAVE to score every time and drive 60-80 yards doing it every time.

:yeah:clap

If you're so "anit-husker"...what are you doing perusing a "Husker" board? :blink:

Maybe programs with a history of being losers can wait around for 10-15 years for a coach to learn how to coach. This was supposed to be a wonderful coach, one who guided a NFL team to the Super Bowl his first year. Things were going to be rough for a couple of years until he got "his" players, to fit "his" scheme.

It's year four now. He has "his" players, his first recruiting class are juniors and seniors now. Last season, when Solich's last recruiting class were seniors, they played some decent ball. Now, last season is looking like a fluke and the crap we see on the field is the real Callahan Nebraska team, just like the Raiders of Callahan's second season were the real Callahan Raider team.

Teacher, I've been attending and supporting Nebraska football since before you were born. Callahan did not have to build a strong program, it was already there. 42 years without a losing season, 39 years of seasons with at least 9 wins (many when the seasons were only 10 games in the '60's), 32 straight bowl games, 5 National Championships. This was the program that most schools tried to emulate, with visits from Bobby Bowden, Hayden Frye. Barry Switzer, Lloyd Carr and many, many others.

We do not expect national championships every year. What we do want is a good, ciompetitive team that will be in every game they play. That is not what we have now. These players, while fine athletes, are unguided and unmotivated. That, my misguided friend, is a direct result of coaching.

I'm sure that you are the "anti-husker" because your team got drilled on a regular basis by Nebraska. Go back to your purple or black or blue living room and pop in your VCR tape of a rare win over Nebraska. Just think, if you can only manage to beat Nebraska the next 50 times, the series will be even.

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

And the original poster is right. There are way too many impatient Husker fans. I was just looking at some old posts, and some of the same people calling for Callahan's head now were singing his praises just two months ago. You don't make or break a career in the span of a few games...

Did Callahan and Coz team up to write this??? :lol: