List of replacements for Callahan

I think the only thing fans will agree on is that Pederson cannot be the one making the decision.

again, be realistic.

pederson will not be gone unless the chancellor is gone.

How in the hell do you know that?

Don't speculate.

how am i speculating?

it's pathetic to fire the ad of a entire school because one piece of the whole scheme isn't working.

if that was the case, we should have fired byrne when he hired nee and chased off osborne.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Turner Gill is the right guy. Is it because he's a former Husker? Meh.

My top three are:

Brian Kelly - HC - Cincy

Will Muschamp - DC - Auburn

Chris Peterson - HC - Boise State

Chris Peterson should definitely be in the mix and is my number 1 target at this time. He just strikes me as the next Urban Meyer. I think he could turn our talent into results. My only issue is I have no idea who he would want at D-Coordinator and that right now is just as important as head coach. I would look at Muschamp. Not sold on Kelly...lots of one year wonders in the Big East these days. I'd also look at Patterson from TCU. I also say Pelini because Pud would be gone or this discussion is moot. If TO does become AD (which I would love to see because it wil reunite Husker Nation), then I think Gill will get a good look. The next coach must be a great motivator who embraces Husker traditions and draws strength from the history of the program. If they do not fit that team first mold, then they need to be excluded from consideration.

I would think they will turn to a current HC within a BCS Conference, this is Nebraska.

Personally, I would think Jim Grobe from WF would be a terrific candidate.

But prior to any of this happening the AD must be terminated, period.

I would recommend an end of season blood letting by the Chancellor.

Sunday morning AD fired, Sunday night HC fired, negotiate a settlement later.

Keep a couple of Assistants on the road for recruiting.

Work with Headhunter who has placed most of AD's over the last couple of years & have 1-2 AD Candidate in mind and be in discussions with them prior to dismissal of current AD.

Pull trigger within week of dismissals.

New AD should have list of candidates in mind.

New coach named within 2 weeks of season being over, and begins to recruit.

No allowance of remaining with current team that may be in Bowl preparations...if this is desired, not the right candidate to lead in Lincoln, afterall this is a career job.

If Grobe is not available, look to Jim Leavitt of S.FL...former K-St & Iowa Coach, as well as former MU team captain.

AD must go.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Turner Gill is the right guy. Is it because he's a former Husker? Meh.

My top three are:

Brian Kelly - HC - Cincy

Agreed... I think Turner Gill is not the right choice, yes he is doing a good job at Buffalo, but come on that is totally different football. The only reason anyone wants him is because he used to be here. If people are going to use that reasoning, Craig Bohl should be on everyone's list as well.

I have heard this so many times... and yet no one ever says why except "well thats what I think"(and that he's a religious "nut job"). anyone one want to clarify why he would be so bad?

My top three right now are Bo Pelini, Joe Glenn, (spelling?) and Turner Gill.

Pelini (until a slight meltdown last night) has proven time and time again that once established within a program, he is a defensive genius as well as possessing the fire to motivate players to do just about anything for him. I doubt Cosgrove could motivate anyone to exit a burning building. Age is another pro. Unfortunately, we would just about have to get on our knees to get him to come back and his demenaor can turn some people off.

Glenn is Nebraska through and through. I may be mistaken, but I read somewhere (not sure how credible of a source) that his one out at Wyoming is if Nebraska offers. He has never been "great" at Wyoming, but has brought some pride and consistency to a program that has a miniscule recruiting base and little to offer in terms of location and academic as well as atheltic prestige. His knowlege of the Husker tradition from his youth combined with his coaching ability make him my favorite choice.

Obviously, everyone knows the deal with Gill. He currently holds arguably the most difficult head coaching position in Division 1-A college football and is making it work (somewhat). I think Gill would jump at the chance to come back to Lincoln and knows more than anyone else what the Huskers need to do to get back to the winning ways. Age is another pro for Gill. One possible con I feel could upset people just by mentioning and will probably make me look bad is the obvious fact the Gill is African-American. While the vast majority of Husker faithful love Gill and would love to see him back, I'm sure that their are those who just aren't ready for a black head coach at the University of Nebraska.

Of course this could all be moot. Peralman, Pederson, and Callahan, amongst others, must have some sketchy deals goining on between them for the current debacle to continue.

Tom

I think the only thing fans will agree on is that Pederson cannot be the one making the decision.

again, be realistic.

Then the Chancellor needs to be gone if we want to have any semblance of a decent football team. I realize that is not realistic as the chancellor has a lot more responsibilites than football. But the AD IS the one RESPONSIBLE for this mess. If he isn't gone, then we will continue to have a poor football and the worst HAS NOT been here yet.

this is for your list for next hc here, if callahan does indeed get fired.

pelini isn't coming back, so be realistic.

my list =

turner gill (although he may be bitter with pederson)

josh mcdaniels, oc of new england (may be too young-31 years old)

norm chow (would jump on being a hc somewhere, even in college)

jim leavett of usf (although if they make the bcs, they will have enough to pay him)

gregg williams, redskins dc (would be great in college, ala pete carroll)

rick neushisal (would LOVE to get revenge on colorado, wants to be a hc again, and loves college game)

anyone you want to add?

My vote is Turner Gill. Look what he has done at Buffalo. They were horrible until he arrived. They have 2 wins already this year.

My top three are:

Brian Kelly - HC - Cincy

Agreed... I think Turner Gill is not the right choice, yes he is doing a good job at Buffalo, but come on that is totally different football. The only reason anyone wants him is because he used to be here. If people are going to use that reasoning, Craig Bohl should be on everyone's list as well.

I have heard this so many times... and yet no one ever says why except "well thats what I think"(and that he's a religious "nut job"). anyone one want to clarify why he would be so bad?

The reason I am against Gill is because some of the players that everyone on here loves from the NC days told me he'd be a horrible coach because he's extremely lazy. He was the last to show up to practice and the first to leave. I always figured he's be the man in waiting after TO retired because he was the youngest, but even TO didn't have the confidence in him. It would be interesting if TO was hired as AD to see if he'd even give Gill a look. I'm strictly basing my not wanting him as our next HC from what past players told me about him when they were playing.

again, be realistic.

How in the hell do you know that?

Don't speculate.

how am i speculating?

it's pathetic to fire the ad of a entire school because one piece of the whole scheme isn't working.

if that was the case, we should have fired byrne when he hired nee and chased off osborne.

First off Danny Nee was hired in 1986 by Bob Devaney. I don't think he chased off Osborne. Yes you do fire the AD after he gives a coach that hasn't proven anything an extension for no other reason then to save his reputation on his choice and how he handled the whole firing and coaching search.

This whole mess was started by the AD and should end up with his firing.