Callahan

I don't read the OWH, but my wife swears up and down that Clownahan was quoted as saying, "I think I'm doing a good job". On what planet is he doing a good job? He's broke all kinds of streaks while being here: bowl streak, first team ever to have 40 pts. put up on them 3 times in one season, worst beatdown at home in like 6 decades, worst ranked D ever for NU, etc. How exactly or what makes him think he's doing a good job?

I don't read the OWH, but my wife swears up and down that Clownahan was quoted as saying, "I think I'm doing a good job". On what planet is he doing a good job? He's broke all kinds of streaks while being here: bowl streak, first team ever to have 40 pts. put up on them 3 times in one season, worst beatdown at home in like 6 decades, worst ranked D ever for NU, etc. How exactly or what makes him think he's doing a good job?

ya, I just don't think he knows what he got into.

no, just honesty. he knows his job is on the line. When i know my job is on the line i just go out there and work harder despite it, use it as a reason to do better and harder(but i've always liked having my back up against he wall).

Do you watch him in practice and are able to tell how hard he is working? I get the feeling you think he isn't working harder since he knows his job is on the line. I believe he PROBABLY is working harder although i have no proof to say otherwise, and neither do you.

oh i know he's working harder on it, hell his son has said as much but the fact of the matter is, you got yourself in that place by taking this job, quit complaining and go and work. he could have just said next question and it'd be just fine.

If he'd of said next question you would call him a gutless coward for dodging questions and not giving any information and talking coach speak. Really a no win situation for him. I'm not a supporter but I think he's getting very raw treatment in all this.

No i'd call it intelligent. The fact of the matter is, i was raised that if said anything like that to my father when something was going on i'd be as striped as a zebra. Men dont let things like this affect them, and i'm calling this as a way to say "oh there was to much of a distraction for us to prepare for the game after the aggies thrash us, you know something like 40 - 10

He was HC for the Raiders, a team Gruden built and got to the AFC finals the year before. How could he possibly not know what he got into? It's not like we brought up a high school coach to take over the program. You could put him on every other program out there that has any history at all, and he'd still be getting fired for how piss poor he's done here. I mean he brings in great talent only to break some of the worst records we have?

it is a distraction but you don't out and out say it, you say something to the effect that we aren't paying attention to it and are just working on our game plan for ATM.

That's my point exactly. As T.O. said during his news conference yesterday, the players need to concentrate on what happens on the field.

no, just honesty. he knows his job is on the line. When i know my job is on the line i just go out there and work harder despite it, use it as a reason to do better and harder(but i've always liked having my back up against he wall).

Do you watch him in practice and are able to tell how hard he is working? I get the feeling you think he isn't working harder since he knows his job is on the line. I believe he PROBABLY is working harder although i have no proof to say otherwise, and neither do you.

oh i know he's working harder on it, hell his son has said as much but the fact of the matter is, you got yourself in that place by taking this job, quit complaining and go and work. he could have just said next question and it'd be just fine.

If he'd of said next question you would call him a gutless coward for dodging questions and not giving any information and talking coach speak. Really a no win situation for him. I'm not a supporter but I think he's getting very raw treatment in all this.

No i'd call it intelligent. The fact of the matter is, i was raised that if said anything like that to my father when something was going on i'd be as striped as a zebra. Men dont let things like this affect them, and i'm calling this as a way to say "oh there was to much of a distraction for us to prepare for the game after the aggies thrash us, you know something like 40 - 10

I would love to see how you react in this situation, the man of integrity and grit that you say you are, and you can not possibly know how it feels to have you back against the wall when 1.7 million people are the ones holding it there. Here's a thought, Maybe he was rebelling against the firing of Steve Pederson by saying it's a distraction just like that's the reason he wore a brown shirt in a press conference. GIVE ME A BREAK!

College and Pro are two very different games. The Raiders may have a rabid group of fans, but that is nothing compared to what Husker Nation consists of. I would be fairly confident that in Oakland he could go out in public and not be recognized, he cant anywhere in Nebraska.

His body language says volumes more about what he thinks than the words coming out of his mouth. Slumped shoulders, the hand tosses. He looks like a man beaten. He obviously does not have the answers to what ails the team, and it is clear that his blood is in the water and the Great Red Shark that is the fan base is circling. He knows he has lost the team, and he knows he cant save his job.

I would hope he could in Oakland as the city has more people than our entire state! However, he made some pretty big headlines for himself when he called his team the "dumbest" in America. The guy was a complete tool before he ever came here. Unless he's lived in a shoe his whole life, he should have known exactly what Nebraska is all about and what we expect. I believe he still holds an NFL record: first team to ever make a Superbowl and then finish last in the division the following year. I laugh at the next clowns to hire him!

it is a distraction but you don't out and out say it, you say something to the effect that we aren't paying attention to it and are just working on our game plan for ATM.

That's my point exactly. As T.O. said during his news conference yesterday, the players need to concentrate on what happens on the field.

When you're asked, "Is it a distraction," he's expected to say no? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he "admitted" that it was a distraction, but..... Read the rest of the article.

When you're asked, "Is it a distraction," he's expected to say no? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he "admitted" that it was a distraction, but..... Read the rest of the article.

TO, also said that "It can be a distration if you make it one."

Is there really anything that he could say in that press conference other than "sorry, what I am trying to do isn't working and I resign." that would be OK with most of the fan base?

This type of thing is what separates "great coaches" from "poor coaches" A great coach will take the bull by the horns and coach his team through this adversity. Callahan doesn't have what it takes to do this.TO had plenty of adversity and distractions to work through and look how his teams came through it. We need sombody like Pellini that knows how to light a fire under his players no matter what comes along.

I don't think it was an excuse. It has to be somewhat of a distraction. However, I too think he feels he's in a no win situation, and in all reality he is. Listen to TO's words......do you really think TO hasn't all ready made up his mind what he thinks needs to be done.

My only issue with BC, is he recognizes the team is struggling but can't put a finger on why, yet he is "staying the course", no changes.

I disagree with that, as it most likely will on achieve the same results.

I would have preferred an answer like:

We are changing our practice regime: going 4 days a week with 1 day a full out scrimmage, hoping to find a little fire and desire.

or

We are going to make a few personnel changes as well as a few scheme changes. We're going to mix in a few younger players and take a more aggressive game plan. We may give up a few big plays with some mistakes, but we are going to be aggressive and play full speed.

or

Offensively, we are going to take our shots down the field, etc

I think I would just like to hear, I recognize what we are doing isn't working, so we are going to try some new things and keep trying until we find a combination that works. I know it's frustrating and difficult for you fans, but know that we recognize we need to do something different and we are committed to making this work. If you could bring yourselves to positively support us, we will find a winning combination.

Anything but I can't put my finger on it, but we aren't far away, players are in the right spot we just aren't executing....yada, yada yada.

Embrace this opportunity.......recognizing it's not working is the first step........doing something about is a whole nother thing.......his stubborness and inability to change or try something different, IMHO, is what has caused him problems and will do him in.