Why the demand for former Huskers?

I'm curious about the demand, almost certainty, that the next head coach be someone who once played or coached here? Doesn't it make more sense to look for the best possible person for the job rather than limit your choices so?

I'd be looking at places like Boise St, maybe Appalachian State, may the N.E Patriot offensive coordinator, etc, etc, etc. Stoops had no ties to OU, Pinkel no ties to Mizzou, Leavitt had no ties to South Florida. Why is everyone obsessed with either Gill or Pellini?

A Tiger fan wants to know...

(And I root for the Huskers when they're not playing Mizzou- and the volleyball team every match - even tonight.)

I have the same questions....

Both Gill and Pelini are fine coaches with 1 1/2 years experience as a head coach!!!!! If Callahan is indeed on his way out (I personally hope not right now anyway) this could be the most important hire ever for the University and you want to hire somone with either 1.5 years experience at a perennial doormate or a guy with NO head coaching experience?

So, we should only go after people who have HC experience now? I think this is what happened the last time. Instead of looking at some very good coordinators, Pud puts down Nutt(less), "Stache", Clownahan, etc. All failures at their current jobs. Yeah, let's try that again. Bob Stoops never had one single ounce of HC experience before he went to OU. TO never had one single ounce of HC experience before he became NU's HC. There are some strong parallels that can be drawn between Stoops and Pelini. They both have been very successful D coordinators with at least 2 different top programs at the time. Pelini has actually been D coordinator or co with 3 top programs. The players always play hard for them. Stoops was hired by Spurrier to "fix" or "build" whichever you prefer his D. He did it in one year and they won a NC. Pelini was hired by NU to come in and "fix" our D and turned it into #11 in the country. Both did it with the previous staff's players, and they both accomplished it because they got them to play a lot better than the coaches they replaced.

If we go after a highly successful HC that is somewhere else, we're gonna have to pay him bigtime money. If money is what draws him here, he'll be gone within 5 years. We may get some instant gratification, but we'll be left high and dry eventually. Alabama got Saban, but I'm willing to bet they won't be able to keep him for very long. I don't want a HC that jumps from HC gig to HC gig because he's chasing money. I want someone to come in here that will be here for several years if not decades.

I think an in house guy is the way to go. Nebraska is a very unique situation. We want to win, but we want to win a certain way. The only people who seem to understand the way are guys from the family. Callahan took almost every single one of our traditions lit them on fire them pissed on the ashes. Now he is paying the price for not listening to what TO told him was important to the program and how to be successful at NU when he first got here.

We gave an out of house guy a chance, we listened to all of the nay sayers and scratched a way of doing things that worked for 42 years. Look where it got us. We basically jumped off a bridge because everyone told us too. Now it is time to go back and start all over and do things the way we want them done and the only people that understand that are guys from the family.

To sum it up, we have been burned and we are a little weary to turn the keys over to the ferrari to someone we dont trust. The only people we can trust is our own.

WHY IS IT THAT THE PEOPLE WHO HOLD THIS OPINION CAN ONLY REMEMBER BACK TO 2004... WE STAYED IN HOUSE WITH FRANKIE SOLICH... UNDER OSBORNE'S WISHES... INSTEAD OF PURSUING A TALENTED COACH AT YOUNGSTOWN STATE BY THE NAME OF JIM TRESELL...

UNDER HIS "IN HOUSE" REGIME HE CHANGED THE FREAKING UNIFORMS, FAILED TO RECRUIT OUTSIDE OF THE STATE... AND LED US TO THE EDGE OF COLLAPSE... ALL THE WHILE, HIS PLAYERS COMPLAINED OF A LACK OF DISCPIPLINE, AND HE AND HIS ASSNTS WERE RUMORED TO HAVE SOME SHADY PERSONAL LIVES...

BOB DEVANEY WAS ORGINALLY FROM WYOMING... OUT OF HOUSE... WE GAVE HIM A CHANCE...

ITS NOT WHERE HE IS FROM.. ITS ABOUT THE MAN... AND THE WAY HE CHOOSES TO RUN HIS TEAM...

I think an in house guy is the way to go. Nebraska is a very unique situation. We want to win, but we want to win a certain way. The only people who seem to understand the way are guys from the family. Callahan took almost every single one of our traditions lit them on fire them pissed on the ashes. Now he is paying the price for not listening to what TO told him was important to the program and how to be successful at NU when he first got here.

We gave an out of house guy a chance, we listened to all of the nay sayers and scratched a way of doing things that worked for 42 years. Look where it got us. We basically jumped off a bridge because everyone told us too. Now it is time to go back and start all over and do things the way we want them done and the only people that understand that are guys from the family.

To sum it up, we have been burned and we are a little weary to turn the keys over to the ferrari to someone we dont trust. The only people we can trust is our own.

Genuine question, since I've only live in NE for 1 year: What traditions did Callahan light on fire and then piss on the ashes? (not including winning football games.. that's a given).

My personal opinion is that the next HC doesn't have to have Nebraska ties. However, it wasn't that long ago that Nebraska was really good and the entire football program went about their business with a lot of pride and passion. Having a connection to those days probably wouldn't be a bad thing. IMO that's one of the biggest problems with our defense this year. There's no one who saying "this is how we go about things at Nebraska".

I'm not talking about someone who will bring back the same schemes and plays and drills, I'm talking about someone who remembers how much pride and hard work it took just to get on the field. I'm talking about someone who can show today's players and staff what it really takes to be a top notch program. The HC doesn't necessarily need to be one of those people, but I would like it if someone from that era was part of the program.

Pelini never coached at a K-State, he always coached at a program where everything was in place. Stoops is in Texas, with loads of talent. Oklahoma is basically texas, 45 of their 85 are Texans! NU is a special situation and NU fans have not seen teams dominate like NU did with their brand of football, especially on offense!

We have had 85 ships throughout the 90s. Why was NU getting better when the other schools were talking about parity and scholarship limitations? We were playing FOOTBALL, while everyone else was trying to get on Mel Kiper's draft list! Running the option and powering the ball on folks might not look good to outsiders, but it always got atleast 9 wins and a top notch offense and not embarrasing loses at home to unranked teams!

We have had 85 ships throughout the 90s. Why was NU getting better when the other schools were talking about parity and scholarship limitations? We were playing FOOTBALL, while everyone else was trying to get on Mel Kiper's draft list! Running the option and powering the ball on folks might not look good to outsiders, but it always got atleast 9 wins and a top notch offense and not embarrasing loses at home to unranked teams!

DONT FORGET ABOUT THE BIG 12 COMMITTEE ENDING PROP 48/PARTIAL QUALIFIER PLAYERS.. MANY OF OUR PLAYERS NEVER WOULD HAVE MADE IT TO UNL WITHOUT THAT...

here is the thing. we want to win, but we also want to do it our way. we were able to be a dominant team for 40+ straight years. that didnt happen by accident. if you listened to coach ozborne press conference you could tell he understood that. we like to think that the way our team use to play reflected the way we are as nebraskans. hard work, determination, and flat out wanting more than the other guys. we are very proud of that. I have had some people tell me I am arrogant and cocky for feeling this way, but I really dont care, thats the way it is.

so this brings us the the in house coaching issue. its not so much that we bring in "our guy" as that we bring in someone who understands "our way" we dont want someone coming in and leaving as soon as we get good, and we want someone that gets our kids to play the right way. that is a problem many have with cally. his style of football might work, but its not the style that we like. and i'm not talking about WCO vs option. I'm talking about stuff like only having on practice a week in full pads. I'm talking about have lines that are soft(on both sides of the ball) I think if cally was just our OC and we had a coach that did things the way TO used we would love the WCO. cally has shown when he can he will pound it with the ground game. but our lines have been to WEAK to do it consistently. I'm not even going to get into our defense.....

I'm curious about the demand, almost certainty, that the next head coach be someone who once played or coached here? Doesn't it make more sense to look for the best possible person for the job rather than limit your choices so?

I'd be looking at places like Boise St, maybe Appalachian State, may the N.E Patriot offensive coordinator, etc, etc, etc. Stoops had no ties to OU, Pinkel no ties to Mizzou, Leavitt had no ties to South Florida. Why is everyone obsessed with either Gill or Pellini?

A Tiger fan wants to know...

(And I root for the Huskers when they're not playing Mizzou- and the volleyball team every match - even tonight.)

Maybe because the last time a non-nebraska coach was hired he did in 4 years what it would have taken solich to do in 10?

Neb needs someone young that will stay around for awhile, Bo is the guy I believe it in my heart of hearts that he can get our guys fired up to play and will be a great coach. You put Bo in as HC and with TO helping him out he will be surprise everyone. Like I have said before some school out there is going to give Bo a chance, I just hope its us, but until we find out whats going to happen I am going to show my husker support and give TO time to do his thing!