Here's what Callahan thinks about you

all of the "alleged" comments were told to the writer of the book, by Doak O. after he was fired and said that he wasnt given a reason.

do you think it is possible that Doak made some of this up to get the fans pissed of at BC, because he is holding a grudge against BC for loosing his job?

nope......I believe him and I don't believe sh#t Cally says period.......they closed the doors on any ties to the past at NU...wrecked the walk-on program........and put alot of pedeyshine on anything that resembled the sad state of this program.

Blasphemy (something done or said that shows disrespect for God or sacred things)? Kind of a grossly exaggerated remark that illustrates my point. Lot's of folks on here reacting with religious zeal more than being honest and making sense. Now, by offending certain Husker fans Callahan has offended God. He's an :asshat because all infidels are :asshat . Chop off the head of the :asshat infidel.

Blasphemy (something done or said that shows disrespect for God or sacred things)? Kind of a grossly exaggerated remark that illustrates my point. Lot's of folks on here reacting with religious zeal more than being honest and making sense. Now, by offending certain Husker fans Callahan has offended God. He's an :asshat because all infidels are :asshat . Chop off the head of the :asshat infidel.

You can't deny what a grossly inept HC he is at NU. The record speaks for itself.... (15-15) vs BigXII opponents, greatest loss in the history of NU, first losing season in 40 years, 0-6 vs top ten teams, etc, etc.

You can apologize for him until you're blue in the face but it doesn't change the fact he's in way, way over his head and richly deserves to be fired.

You can't deny what a grossly inept HC he is at NU. The record speaks for itself.... (15-15) vs BigXII opponents, greatest loss in the history of NU, first losing season in 40 years, 0-6 vs top ten teams, etc, etc.

You can apologize for him until you're blue in the face but it doesn't change the fact he's in way, way over his head and richly deserves to be fired.

I in no way apologize for what he says or does ... only for exaggeration, unsubstantiated claims, falsehood and rumor mongering.

Here's the context from the article apparently referred to. It in no way suggests that Callahan was referring to "you." He may have been referring to the writer of the article for all I know. The context does not give any information other than that Callahan was referring to a newspaper story.

The book also details an Ostergard story in which Callahan was upset over a newspaper story.

“F-ing people need to get a life,” Callahan said, according to Ostergard. “Why don’t they go read a book or get lost in the Sandhills? I’m going to get me a real newspaper. I’m going to read the New York Times.”

Please verify who the "you" is in "...thinks about you." Is it from the book itself? If so, please confirm that Ostergard is correct in his attribution of BC's "you" to all Husker fans.

You're right. I'm just making an assumption that the "f-ing people" he would like to have go "get lost in the Sandhills" are disgruntled Nebraska fans quoted in the article that upset him. Sort of like Oklahomans are "f-ing hillbillies." Seems that he thinks a whole lot of people are beneath him.

I'll stand on my assumption that he's talking about Nebraska fans generally before I'll make the stretch of trying to defend him or explain it away because we don't know the precise context.

I think it's one piece in a growing body of evidence that he (and Pederson) had no respect for the tradition of the program or what it means to the people of the state and alumni who support it with money and emotion.

When Cally first came here and you could see he didn't get it, I was among those that felt that he was a smart coach that would figure it out and that after a couple years, we would be used to a new coach and he'd have figured out the culture here. Remember that fiasco with only having the starters on the field at warmups? I thought things would get better with his talent and a couple years of guys in the system. Well, I was wrong.

Its not hard for any fan to see that Callahan is good technician, but he just hasn't adjusted to the college game and he has NOT adjusted to the college football culture that make Husker football unique. Former players aren't just fans and alum, they are still family here. College football is about emotion and playmakers, two things that BC has not (he may have the playmakers, but he never lets them on the field).

BC is sure his way is the correct one. Good for him, but its not the correct one here. I hope he gets an OC job in the NFL, I'm sure he'll be successful, but not even with USC's talent would he be a winner in college year in and out.

I'll stand on my assumption that he's talking about Nebraska fans generally before I'll make the stretch of trying to defend him or explain it away because we don't know the precise context.

Would not want to get confused by the facts.

I in no way defend anything he actually said or did. I just happen to believe when one makes negative claims about someone else they should make every effort to be accurate. Maybe that's just me.

Would not want to get confused by the facts.

I in no way defend anything he actually said or did. I just happen to believe when one makes negative claims about someone else they should make every effort to be accurate. Maybe that's just me.

Given the opportunity to respond, he didn't

Deny it.

Explain that he didn't mean it about fans or Nebraskans broadly.

Or apologize.

Here's a little more context indicating that Ostergard told this story in the context of Callahan's failure over time to grasp the feelings of Nebraskans.

Again, Callahan, given the opportunity, did not deny making any of these comments.

OK, Frisco, the book's not out yet and even then we may not know the precise context of his comments. But sometimes when you walk outside and everything is wet, you can pretty safely assume that it has rained.

-----

Ostergard told Crowl he was originally impressed with Callahan's attempts to learn the culture of Nebraska football when he was first hired, but several incidents forced his opinion to deteriorate.

Some of Crowl's accounts - mostly from Ostergard - indicate that Callahan became disconnected with the state, its traditions and the history of its football program.

In one instance, Ostergard recalled a meeting with Callahan where the coach voiced his frustration over an article printed in a local newspaper.

"F-ing people need to get a life," Ostergard quoted Callahan as saying in the book.

In the book, Ostergard continues to quote Callahan:

"Why don't they go read a book or get lost in the Sandhills? I'm going to get me a real newspaper. I'm going to read The New York Times."

all of the "alleged" comments were told to the writer of the book, by Doak O. after he was fired and said that he wasnt given a reason.

do you think it is possible that Doak made some of this up to get the fans pissed of at BC, because he is holding a grudge against BC for loosing his job?

If they're untrue, BC can sue for slander.

I've always said Nebraska football is like a religion to most of the fans. These last couple weeks have only strengthened that belief. It won't be long before mobs of people start showing up ready to run the infidels off their land.

I think you're stretching things a bit. :)