Back From the Game

Husker_x

I listen to the webcast today and what a sorry game. I loved it when Callahan said, that he was able to give more attention to the defense today. Sure glad he got to do that because we would have really been in sorry shape if he hadn't.

I'm with ya'll -- show him the door immediately!

At the last minute my neighbor called and offered 4 tickets to the game. We took the girls to their second Nebraska game.

Here's my take. It's a summary I may add to as I think of more things.

The D came out solid in the first half and it looked like a winnable game. The O and special teams hung them out.

The D gave up 190 yards in the first half but A&M only had one drive of substance. The fumbled punt was a killer before half. It was a very even game.

Watson called the first quarter and was pulled from playcalling duties soon after. With him we ran reverses, misdirection and Castille at the goal line. Duh. You could tell when he was calling the plays because the would tell Ganz who would signal it in to Keller. Keller runs to the side when Callahan calls the plays. Callahan and Cosgrove spent most of their time working the defense together while Watson was calling the plays.

The second half, the first drive by A&M was easy. One 3rd and nine to stop them and McGee ran for 19. He ran 95 percent of the time, yet the linebackers took Lane on every play and would not force McGee to pitch. The 4-3-4 was ridiculous in the 3rd quarter. 5-3-3 with Octavian run blitzing the QB and safety support for run/TE would have made more sense after the first A&M scoring drive stuffed down our throats. I don't think McGee threw a pass on either 80 yard drive so 4 backs 5-15 yards from the line in coverage was beyond dumb. A&M had 3-4 plays all day. McGee keep 75-80%, Lane 5%, receiver in the flat 5%, incomplete pass 10-15%.

The Nebraska offensive play calling after Watson stopped was offensive to say the least. Anything remotely misdirection or creative disappeared. There are athletes on the team since we got almost the exact same yardage as A&M with the crap plays they called, but we blew chances to get into scoring position. Castille should have run the ball 30 times in the game. Starting when we were down by 9 in the second half. He made holes when they weren't there and punished people. He should have been the lead blocker for Helu on the pitch plays. Keller is under too much pressure and checks down to0 quickly. 3rd and 8 and they throw 3 yard patterns to the side line or to Lucky. Send someone down the middle on a post pattern on first down once and a while. Our deepest throws are always to the TE in coverage. A&M played close to the line of scrimmage and we should have put in 4 wides and beat them down field when we had the wind. Play action to Castille roll Keller right and a hitch and go pattern to Mr slant Purify with Nunn running a 10-15 yard crossing pattern from the left as the check down.

Overall, I'd give the Defense a C and the Offense a C. We made A&M punt several times when we needed to and the Offense moved the ball but choked when they need a basic play. The D still gave up 455 and 36 points, but the Offense didn't help them in the second half even with almost 475 yards total themselves. A couple of long drives and scores would have kept the game in reach until the D could step up again. If the O would have worked the D would have given up 24-30 and 350 yards. Winnable.

I thought Callahan's offense moved the ball and scored in the red zone much better in the past. This year it keeps getting worse. 5 - 4 downs from the 10 or less when going in to score in the last 2 weeks and only one score.

The talent is there on offense so next coaches will be able to move the ball. The Defense will take some time on the D-line (they need some bulk), but I think the backers and secondary can turn around quickly.

McKewon had a couple of good plays and a couple of hits. But he needs to sit. His arm talking, whiffing plays, and pushing instead of hitting was noticeable from the upper balcony.

My wife made me calm down. The kids loved it; but the 6 year old did ask why Nebraska stunk. Once the 6 and 9 year olds start questioning the playcalling you're done as a coach. My 9 year old asked why they didn't just tackle the QB for the other team since he always had the ball. My 6 year old wondered why they kept running that guy into the back of the other guys (Lucky up the middle).

I'll be interested in seeing who gets hired next.

My wife made me calm down. The kids loved it; but the 6 year old did ask why Nebraska stunk. Once the 6 and 9 year olds start questioning the playcalling you're done as a coach. My 9 year old asked why they didn't just tackle the QB for the other team since he always had the ball. My 6 year old wondered why they kept running that guy into the back of the other guys (Lucky up the middle).

I'm sorry... no.... I'm not, that is just freaking hilarious!!!!

Lucky up the middle... that cracks me up, seriously

I'm glad to hear they were pumped before the game. I feel horrible for these players. This is there only shot, but it's clear they stopped believing in this coaching staff, probably sometime during the second half of that beat down against a very average USC team on national TV.

What ticked me off was that aTm only ran about 4 different plays for most of the game

that's what ticks all the aggie fans off as well. A&M is so easy to figure out! for example...when Michael Corey (receiver) goes in the game, you KNOW the aggies are going to run it. I don't know how more teams don't pick up on these things, because Fran does it EVERY GAME!!!! and I love McGee to death. He's the second coming of Bucky Richardson. But Fran needs to learn when to take him out of the game. The poor kid can't pass (I personally think Fran ruined him as a passer...but that's for another thread). Our QB should not be getting 35 carries in a game.

Fran needs to go. It's actually kind of funny coming over hear and reading y'alls comments. they are the EXACT same comments the Aggies are making about Fran. Actually...not funny. It's sad. How have two once proud programs been reduced to this? who would've thought a decade ago that the aggie/husker game wouldn't even be worth televising? just disgusting. i hope you guys get rid of callahan and find the one to take you back to your glory days.

Good luck huskers.

Ok me and my mother are the biggest husker fans in our family. And we try to make to a game every year depending on the funds. The day was going great the drive down to lincoln was good as allways. Seeing Memorial stadium as it comes into view. Then going to breakfast at the holiday Inn. After letting some of the food digest in our stomachs, we went to husker headquarters to buy a new husker shirt that despreatly needed. then it was time to DRINK! bud light, coors light, bud, jagger bombs, vodka and Oj.

So after all of those drinks it was time to make the trip over to memorial stadium and be together with 85,000 of our dearest friends. Seeing and hearing the orignal tunnle walk was great, But there was one problem did seem that the players had no emotion comming from the locker room.

Well anyways the First half went ok the kids were fighting more than they have had the past 3 games, and they kept the game close with the score of 14-16. Now with high hopes going into the second half me and my mother were confident in the team that they would come back out in the second half with more fire and ready to WIN!

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttttttttt?

We have to remember that we still have 2 of the 3 stooges still left here

and well something came out in the second but i belive it was the uniforms and pads cause the aggies took control and ran us right out of our uniforms.

So over the course of the second half where i was sitting the fans were cussing and yelling about the coaches the players. Then they started yelling at eachother saying stuff like why arent you cheering have you given up on the players or what? So one lady decides to yell at my mother cause she jumping up and down during the first half of the game when it was still interesting. So my mother yells at her saying well at least ive been cheering other sitting on my fat A$$ and saying a dam thing!

So has it really gotten that bad here in nebraska where husker fans fight amongst eachother at football games. If this is what Pederson wanted then we should just declare him the victor!!!

What a day it started good and ended in hell!!!!!!

so sorry for the ramble you guys

More thoughts:

No one could tackle Lane when he had the ball. McGee read us perfectly, every time he kept it Potter blew up Lane. There were so many times the crowd cheered thinking we had gotten Lane for a loss, but then realized McGee was 10 yards down the field. I have no idea what the linebackers were doing.

Maybe they really weren't there...maybe it was all our imagination...maybe this team don't really exist...maybe this isn't Nebraska anymore...

Didn't you get the memo...we're the new maimi ohio!!! or it just seems like it!!