This is Sad

There were more things that went wrong yesterday than can be attributed to Swift.

Things go wrong for lots of teams who don't end up getting destroyed by teams that only scored 7 against TT. Mental mistakes are also the coaches' responsibility...that whole teaching & identifying weaknesses thing. :)

Not even close, this doesn't even happen that much on a high school level. Most coaches in small town Nebraska do decent job of teaching and identifying weaknesses.

Nate Swift said:

“We work our butts off everyday at practice four or five times at week. On and off the field, watching film and everything to. Everyone of the past three games I thought we were really prepared for, we just did not go out there and execute.”

It really kicks me in the gut to see players blaming themselves like this. I'm sure they've heard BC tell the media that they just didn't execute often enough that they believe it. I think they do execute a poor game plan and poorly-coached techniques well. If you teach people to perform badly and teach it well, they will go out an look like the biggest incompetents in the world. So, IMHO, they are doing exactly what they've been taught. They're great players, but they don't come in from HS knowing how to be perfect players at this level, so they have to learn whatever they're taught. Of *course* it makes sense to them and seem like it ought to work-- it's the only thing they've been taught. So, yeah, I hate to see them pile on themselves like this :(

And did the coaches teacher him to drop a punt return and how to turn it over to A&M.....did the coaches teach him how to throw one hand up at a sure touchdown pass from Sam Keller in the second half?

I hate to defend Callahan but this is a good point. That dropped punt was a major turning point in the game. There was fan sitting next to me at the game that yelled "Callahan you suck" after Swift dropped that catch. I was like WTF? We need to remember that when it comes down to it, the players just need to make plays sometimes. But when the score is 42-6, 45-14, 36-14 the last three games. There is more wrong here than the players executing. It is preparation. (Or the lack there of)

I know you can't compare college to High School but my High School team were State runners up. We practiced balls to the wall full contact Monday through Wednesday and then had a walk through practice full speed with no pads, no contact on Thursday. If we werent practiceing in full pads I know games would have kicked my ass physically.

I guess my point is that Callahan is a terrible coach for many reasons and I like the idea of burying him in the sandhills on that guys ranch but the players are still not making critical plays at times.

Players always make mistakes. It is bound to happen. However, they didn't get 21 points off of a dropped punt. Teams that we play make mistakes, but there isn't a good enough plan to capitalize off of those mistakes. Swift has been awesome this season and has caught just about everything thrown to him. He's been a great clutch player who makes the plays he needs to. A mistake or two shouldn't cost the game and no team ever got more than 8 points off of a single turn over.

Disagree, he's been average at best. Dropped way to many passes and making too many mental errors. I also figured the coaches should have caught those two interceptions that Mckeon and Bowman dropped yesterday. Both of them had two hands on it. One of them stops three points the other could have been taken to the house for 7.

Ok, coaches obviously don't have a hand in the physical plays on gameday, but they sure as hell have a mental hand in it. And mental preparation and repetition leads to instinctive play on gameday. Case in point - do you remember Cory Mcknuckleheads personal foul when he shoved the guy 20 yds out of bounds. Sure this is the players fault, but I watched the coaches reaction after he went to the sidelines. NOT ONE COACH SAID WORD 1 TO HIM. Let alone got in his face, waved their arms around etc. C'mon. Is this the type of lessons these kids have been getting in their "half-asspads" practice as well?? That stinks.

I think part of Glen's point was that coaching breeds success or failure. Look, these are many of the SAME players that were making BIG time plays last year - They clearly have the physical ability. do you truly think they just got LESS talented in the course of 1 yr? These are 18-23 yr old kids who can get in and out of grooves easily, in all walks of life. It is up to the COACHES to foster their abilities thru repetition in practice, more positive than negative reinforcement (falling on the sword themselves every now & then - see Cally's comments after the Big 12 Champ game, and how the team responded against Auburn) or other forms of motivation. This staff just does NOT seem to have the intangibles to get this done.

Nate Swift said:

“We work our butts off everyday at practice four or five times at week. On and off the field, watching film and everything to. Everyone of the past three games I thought we were really prepared for, we just did not go out there and execute.”

It really kicks me in the gut to see players blaming themselves like this. I'm sure they've heard BC tell the media that they just didn't execute often enough that they believe it. I think they do execute a poor game plan and poorly-coached techniques well. If you teach people to perform badly and teach it well, they will go out an look like the biggest incompetents in the world. So, IMHO, they are doing exactly what they've been taught. They're great players, but they don't come in from HS knowing how to be perfect players at this level, so they have to learn whatever they're taught. Of *course* it makes sense to them and seem like it ought to work-- it's the only thing they've been taught. So, yeah, I hate to see them pile on themselves like this :(

And did the coaches teacher him to drop a punt return and how to turn it over to A&M.....did the coaches teach him how to throw one hand up at a sure touchdown pass from Sam Keller in the second half?

I hate to defend Callahan but this is a good point. That dropped punt was a major turning point in the game. There was fan sitting next to me at the game that yelled "Callahan you suck" after Swift dropped that catch. I was like WTF? We need to remember that when it comes down to it, the players just need to make plays sometimes. But when the score is 42-6, 45-14, 36-14 the last three games. There is more wrong here than the players executing. It is preparation. (Or the lack there of)

I know you can't compare college to High School but my High School team were State runners up. We practiced balls to the wall full contact Monday through Wednesday and then had a walk through practice full speed with no pads, no contact on Thursday. If we werent practiceing in full pads I know games would have kicked my ass physically.

I guess my point is that Callahan is a terrible coach for many reasons and I like the idea of burying him in the sandhills on that guys ranch but the players are still not making critical plays at times.

Players always make mistakes. It is bound to happen. However, they didn't get 21 points off of a dropped punt. Teams that we play make mistakes, but there isn't a good enough plan to capitalize off of those mistakes. Swift has been awesome this season and has caught just about everything thrown to him. He's been a great clutch player who makes the plays he needs to. A mistake or two shouldn't cost the game and no team ever got more than 8 points off of a single turn over.

Disagree, he's been average at best. Dropped way to many passes and making too many mental errors. I also figured the coaches should have caught those two interceptions that Mckeon and Bowman dropped yesterday. Both of them had two hands on it. One of them stops three points the other could have been taken to the house for 7.

Ok, coaches obviously don't have a hand in the physical plays on gameday, but they sure as hell have a mental hand in it. And mental preparation and repetition leads to instinctive play on gameday. Case in point - do you remember Cory Mcknuckleheads personal foul when he shoved the guy 20 yds out of bounds. Sure this is the players fault, but I watched the coaches reaction after he went to the sidelines. NOT ONE COACH SAID WORD 1 TO HIM. Let alone got in his face, waved their arms around etc. C'mon. Is this the type of lessons these kids have been getting in their "half-asspads" practice as well?? That stinks.

I think part of Glen's point was that coaching breeds success or failure. Look, these are many of the SAME players that were making BIG time plays last year - They clearly have the physical ability. do you truly think they just got LESS talented in the course of 1 yr? These are 18-23 yr old kids who can get in and out of grooves easily, in all walks of life. It is up to the COACHES to foster their abilities thru repetition in practice, more positive than negative reinforcement (falling on the sword themselves every now & then - see Cally's comments after the Big 12 Champ game, and how the team responded against Auburn) or other forms of motivation. This staff just does NOT seem to have the intangibles to get this done.

But some players react differently to different coaching. Yelling doesn't necessarily breed success. Getting in ones face doesn't motivate all players. In fact most players are turned off by it. The more you do it, the more immune you become to it. The less effect the it has on the player

And did the coaches teach him to drop a punt return and how to turn it over to A&M.....did the coaches teach him how to throw one hand up at a sure touchdown pass from Sam Keller in the second qtr?

THANK YOU! Nate Swift wasn't taught to not give all his effort for the pass that sure should have been caught... possibly for a touchdown. And he sure wasn't taught to drop punts.

It is effort like this that should have kids sitting on the bench watching some of the younger players. The coaches deserve much of the blame but these players can't use them for excuses. For someone playing major D1 football you obviously have been playing for some time. If you don't want to put forth the effort sit your a** on the bench and let the younger guys that have the heart and balls to give it their all.

That is what chaps me more than anything... players not giving it their all everytime they are in.

Where is Niles Paul? He is better than every receiver but perhaps Mo Purify. Why is he not getting his chance to show these 3rd, 4th and in some cases 5th year guys how its done?

Sure Swift could have single handedly won the game if he made the plays...and also played defense.

We all saw that Swift gave less than 100% effort on a couple plays yesterday. If it is that obvious that one player is not giving it his all on all the plays, how many other players are just going through the motions out there on the field. Are the lineman giving it their all on blocks? Are the defenders giving it everything they have on tackle's? To me it seems that effort is a huge problem with the team.

And did the coaches teach him to drop a punt return and how to turn it over to A&M.....did the coaches teach him how to throw one hand up at a sure touchdown pass from Sam Keller in the second qtr?

THANK YOU! Nate Swift wasn't taught to not give all his effort for the pass that sure should have been caught... possibly for a touchdown. And he sure wasn't taught to drop punts.

It is effort like this that should have kids sitting on the bench watching some of the younger players. The coaches deserve much of the blame but these players can't use them for excuses. For someone playing major D1 football you obviously have been playing for some time. If you don't want to put forth the effort sit your a** on the bench and let the younger guys that have the heart and balls to give it their all.

That is what chaps me more than anything... players not giving it their all everytime they are in.

Where is Niles Paul? He is better than every receiver but perhaps Mo Purify. Why is he not getting his chance to show these 3rd, 4th and in some cases 5th year guys how its done?

But it does reflect coaching when you're vets haven't developed and aren't going balls-out. Back in '04 I could give the coaches an excuse but not now. We shouldn't have to throw rookies in, the vets should be out there playing up to their ability. Plus special-teams under Busch have always been mediocre. Ya players should be out there hustling and every mistake can't be blamed on coaching. Sometimes guy are just lame. But the fact that we have way too many jaded, underachievers screams bad coaching.