Coach Callahan Show

I've been quite a Callahan supporter myself...but there are a few things this year that have turned me....while there were glimpses of these problems in the past....I think they've really reached a critical mass this season...

1. Inability to motivate: We knew all along that BC was a thinking man and no great mativator, and that was fine with me. If you have coordinators and position coaches that can get your players fired up and excited to play, it needn't be the job of the head coach. However, none of the coaching staff is getting this done, and it's BC's responsibility to make sure they do or replace them. He refuses to do this.

2. Failure to teach fundmentals: I think this is a symptom of having coached in the NFL and of getting so many highly regarded recruits. Because these kids dominated at the high school level, it's assumed they have mastered the fundamentals of the game and can go to work learning a complicated offense/defense. However, the jump in skill level from HS to college requires that players relearn the fundamentals, no matter how physically gifted they are. It's obvious that there hasn't been enough emphasis here.

3. Game management: Despite a handful of really strange play calls here and there, I always thought this was BC's strong suit. However, it's become apparent that we've lost several games at half time. Whatever BC does at half time, it seems to suck all the intensity out of the team and completely reverse anything good we had going in the first half.

On the radio after the game, they were discussing this WCO. It was said when Clownahan first came that the WCO was great because it gave us the ability to come back even if we got down a couple of scores. We have won ZERO games when trailing at half with Clownahan. Our worst quarter of football has been the 3rd Quarter. Ball State and USC each scored 21 in the 3rd. Clownahan's game management has always been horrible. Last year, the most successful part of the game was the first 15 scripted plays. The 2nd Half last year wasn't stellar by any means. IMO, there have been more than hints. We found out exactly how stubborn he is in 2004 against Texas Tech.

Did anyone see the video from their practice highlighting the "White Smoke"? They were in FULL PADS and playing 2 hand touch! If your going to practice in full pads actually hit someone!!! If that's how all of their practices are no wonder we can't tackle consistently.

I really think this may be due to all the injuries his first couple years. I am NOT defending him at all but that may contribute to it. That being said..... I feel they should go full speed padded and work with the toughest kids when the fall out settles. They aren't playing touch on Saturdays. Looks that way but it isn't.

On the radio after the game, they were discussing this WCO. It was said when Clownahan first came that the WCO was great because it gave us the ability to come back even if we got down a couple of scores. We have won ZERO games when trailing at half with Clownahan. Our worst quarter of football has been the 3rd Quarter. Ball State and USC each scored 21 in the 3rd. Clownahan's game management has always been horrible. Last year, the most successful part of the game was the first 15 scripted plays. The 2nd Half last year wasn't stellar by any means. IMO, there have been more than hints. We found out exactly how stubborn he is in 2004 against Texas Tech.

The fact that we could have been ahead at half if they would have managed the clock better and kicked a field goal says reams. No one seemed to know what the hell they were doing, where they were on the field and where the clock was.

The fact that we could have been ahead at half if they would have managed the clock better and kicked a field goal says reams. No one seemed to know what the hell they were doing, where they were on the field and where the clock was.

I was thinking the same thing. They have a kicker on scholarship who has a cannon for a leg and does BC use him? Heck no. Then why did he even bother offering this kid a schollie if he won't let him kick from beyond 50 yards? What a waste. Indeed it shows how stubborn BC really is.

I agree these were all problem areas, but the fact remained that these problems didn't prevent our record from improving, so it was hard to see just how debilitating all these problems were until they came to a head this year.

I see the players quitting mid-season. Where do you see the coaches quitting? Just curious - maybe I haven't looked closely enough.

To be honest, it's hard to blame anyone on the team for letting the distractions get to them. What the heck do you expect?

i think the coaches have quit on the team simply because they are either to lazy or arrogant to make adjustments....Even J. Rose on the radio was all but calling Cosgrove a F*cking idiot for not changing from his base defense to a 8 man front to stop that option...who the hell doesnt do that??? some one who doesnt care would be my guess....the same goes for BC...not trying to get back into games and being creative, not using our amazing kicker...all kinds of things....if you have ever coached a team you can tell the coaches that spend time on the game plan and also those who are willing to try anything to win...

i also was a BC supporter until about 3 weeks ago, he is not making the effort to right this ship so sink his ass!!!!

I agree these were all problem areas, but the fact remained that these problems didn't prevent our record from improving, so it was hard to see just how debilitating all these problems were until they came to a head this year.

This entire year has been like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

The 2nd half has NEVER been stellar under him. 0-18 or whatever it is when trailing at the half is too hilarious for words.

Why does anybody even bother watching? Is it worth the aggravataion?

I just want a picture of him to pin to my dartboard.

I just hoped that a special announcement would apear at the beginning saying something like:

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Due to driving the greatest college football program in history into the ground, Bill Callahan has been fired.

But alas, once again, it was just BC spewing the same old useless rhetoric. So I watched Blades of Glory. A much more enlightening way to spend my time.

This entire year has been like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

yep, not safe to go back into the water just yet!

What I couldn't believe is how Rose and Fialla were talking about the Blackshirts were playing a 4-3 defense without mixing things up at all. Virtually no blitzing, stunting, or whatever. They noted that Texas A & M had no problem moving the ball at will because they new what they were facing. These comments were in the third quarter after the team came out after half and made no discernable changes. THAT IS COACHING PLAIN AND SIMPLE, OR THE LACK THEREOF!!! THIS COACHING STAFF OR HEAD COACH AT MINIMUM IS PHONING THE REST OF THE SEASON IN!!!

The guys on the radio couldn't take it anymore and it was if they were saying that they couldn't defend Callahan and his efforts anymore. Those at the game probably didn't hear but sure saw it. It was crystal clear through the airwaves!

Good riddence to Billy C!

SUPERBUNNY