The Best College Football Fans in America?

erastol

I remember here in Omaha after whatever game this year, on the Todd & Tyler show, they said that Nebraska Fans are "No longer the best fans in the country". They explained that the Husker fans boo their team just like the rest of the fans of the country.

Granted some of us might fold our arms during a game and we want to see changes, but I don't think most true Husker fans would boo the team out of Memorial Stadium. Win or lose I imagine all of the fans on this board would stay till the final gun. I am a Cornhusker Fan who bleeds Scarlet Red. I remember getting tickets to the Colorado game the year after the 62-36 loss. When was that? I am thinking 2002.

Anyhow, Jamal Lord and co were having an off game and there were some fans booing. Some of us explained to the booing fans, that #1 we're on ABC and will be showing negativity on the air, and #2 if you're a true Husker fan say nothing instead of booing.

At the end of the game, a couple Colorado fans came up to the section of the stadium I was in and explained to us that it's fans like us that make the Big XII proud. They went on to say that there are some Buffalo fans that give Colorado fans a bad name and to please do everything we can to make sure that Nebraska Fans don't let a few bad fans effect the image of the fans as a whole.

You lost me at "Todd & Tyler." I couldn't care less what those anti-Huskers think. I listened to them bash the Huskers and Husker Fans for years before finally getting sick of those two idiots.

Getting information about Husker-dom from Todd & Tyler is like getting information about dieting from Rosanne Barr. They are the very definitions of:

:asshat

Honestly, whether they deserve it or not, there are a group of people that stand above them in the stands when they make their final walk off the field that cheer for them, and have done so for every home game, win or lose. If we are such "horrible" fans, then we should be booing them when they leave.

It seems to me as if these guys are getting in touch with their feminine side rather than growing a pair and going 100% on the football field. I keep saying "give me something to cheer about"!!

After watching the Huskers for nearly 40 years, I'll repeat what I've been saying for 40 years: It's easy to be a great fan when your team is always winning. Try having a string of 13 consecutive losing seasons like Missouri did through the 80's and 90's and then let me see how "great" the Nebraska fans are and how long that consecutive sell-out streak lasts.

This last debacle has merely exposed Husker fans for the fraud that they are.

What is the point of being a fan and attending games? Is it to sit back and be entertained by your team? Yes. But isn't it also to do what you can to inspire your team and make them play better?

NEWS FLASH: They all know they're not playing well. They don't need a bunch of morons who are supposed to be there supporting them telling them they suck. I'm sick of this.

You have every right to criticize players, coaches, whoever throughout the week (though it would be nice if that criticism were constructive). But on Saturdays, just stay home if you're coming to the game to berate our players and make them play even worse. It's sad that our team would rather play on the road at this point than in Memorial Stadium.

And quit trying to pin all of this on the coaching staff. "The coaches put Purify out there in front of the mic to say this." Believe it or not, not everything bad that happens in the universe is the fault of Bill Callahan and Kevin Cosgrove. The fact is, Purify seems to be speaking on behalf of all of his teammates. And they're completely justified in feeling this way. Instead of calling them out for "blaming the fans," put yourself in their shoes for a change.

Again, I'm not saying you have to spread sunshine 7 days a week. Just for a few hours on Saturdays.

After watching the Huskers for nearly 40 years, I'll repeat what I've been saying for 40 years: It's easy to be a great fan when your team is always winning. Try having a string of 13 consecutive losing seasons like Missouri did through the 80's and 90's and then let me see how "great" the Nebraska fans are and how long that consecutive sell-out streak lasts.

Right. And you can judge every single woman in the world by the one who divorced you, right?

Don't be an idiot. Just because a few people said something stupid to some players doesn't mean all Husker Fans need to be thrown under the bus like that.

Right. And you can judge every single woman in the world by the one who divorced you, right?

Don't be an idiot. Just because a few people said something stupid to some players doesn't mean all Husker Fans need to be thrown under the bus like that.

I tailgated by the exit where the players left after the game and walked by as some of the team was coming out. I didn't hear or see anything but then I didn't stop. I thought most of those hanging by the exit were dads with their kids trying to get autographs.

If I would have heard jeering "you suck, take the N off your helmet", believe me I'd grab the mouth of the 'fan' saying it and tell them 'we don't do that here'.

That happened to me when I tried to return some smack talk to a Mizzou player that was a little full of himself after they upset us in Memorial my senior year in college. Yep, I got grabbed in the mouth by someone and learned real quick that only good sportsmanship will be tolerated in Memorial Stadium.

Congratulations to those that are smackin down our own players...quotes from the press conference yesterday are already being emailed to our recruits. Who would want to play for a team that your own fans are :asshat

:lame

What, exactly, do these players expect? Do they expect "the greatest fans in America" to eat this poo pie and continue to smile and clap and cheer? How completely unrealistic is that?

Sure, I'm as angered as most by the idiots who tell the players to take the N off their helmets, or who say "you suck" to a guy who's just gotten beat up in a game for 60 minutes. That kind of "fan" needs to go away, no question. But at the same time, there is a legitimate amount of frustration being displayed by fans, and I don't have any qualms about anyone who boos the lack of effort and heart that we see displayed on a weekly basis lately.

We are knowledgeable fans, and we know excellence. We have a reasonable right to expect that any kid who puts that helmet on will play to the fullest extent of their ability. When we see loafing, lolly-gagging, and outright indifference out there, I think it's only natural to react negatively.

I am completely against the notion that being one of the "best fans in college football" means I never, ever get to criticize this team.

So you're defending this fans?

I'm sorry. You can justify that to yourself however you want. But what do the players expect?! Clearly, you're not in their shoes. What do you think they should say? "Oh well, that's to be expected. It doesn't sting at all that we're getting booed by our own fans because we've been losing"?! You think this SHOULDN'T be hard on the team? <_<

:lame

What, exactly, do these players expect? Do they expect "the greatest fans in America" to eat this poo pie and continue to smile and clap and cheer? How completely unrealistic is that?

Sure, I'm as angered as most by the idiots who tell the players to take the N off their helmets, or who say "you suck" to a guy who's just gotten beat up in a game for 60 minutes. That kind of "fan" needs to go away, no question. But at the same time, there is a legitimate amount of frustration being displayed by fans, and I don't have any qualms about anyone who boos the lack of effort and heart that we see displayed on a weekly basis lately.

We are knowledgeable fans, and we know excellence. We have a reasonable right to expect that any kid who puts that helmet on will play to the fullest extent of their ability. When we see loafing, lolly-gagging, and outright indifference out there, I think it's only natural to react negatively.

I am completely against the notion that being one of the "best fans in college football" means I never, ever get to criticize this team.

So you're defending this fans?

I'm sorry. You can justify that to yourself however you want. But what do the players expect?! Clearly, you're not in their shoes. What do you think they should say? "Oh well, that's to be expected. It doesn't sting at all that we're getting booed by our own fans because we've been losing"?! You think this SHOULDN'T be hard on the team? <_<

I pretty much answered your question in my original post, but I'll reiterate. Yeah WHAT DO THE PLAYERS EXPECT? Do they expect congratulations and pats on the back for back-to-back blowouts at home to mediocre teams? Do they expect cheers and whoops of joy for lack of effort? Do they expect a flight of balloons every time they stop a team short of a 20-yard gain? What?

NO, it is NOT all right to tell them to take the "N" off their helmet, it is NOT all right to threaten them, it is NOT all right to tell them to quit the team. I never, ever defended that. What I'm defending is the fans' right to be unhappy with this team. These kids and this coaching staff (mostly the coaching staff) are earning that, and to molly-coddle them and say "It's OK" is counterproductive.

Should it be hard on them? ABSOLUTELY!!!! It SHOULD be. They should not be happy, they should not be comfortable, they should not be OK with the effort they're giving out there, and neither should the fans. Do you even watch the games? They're standing around! They're not covering their assignments! They're not running to the ball! They're not gang-tackling! The O-Line isn't opening holes! The I-Backs are rarely breaking tackles! The receivers are dropping passes! This is NOT Nebraska football. No way.

And you're saying it's not OK to boo? Sorry. I don't buy that one bit.

Read the post you quoted again, and really try to understand what I'm saying, not what you want me to be saying so you can post your reply.

Here's why we're still the greatest fans in America, though - after both the OK State and A&M games, after those to mid-level teams stole our lunch money and knocked our books in the mud, our fans stood up and applauded those teams as they left the field. THAT is what makes us great fans. We understand sportsmanship. Are we hard to please? Yes - we expect excellence from a team founded on this principle. So there was a smattering of boos here and there. Big deal. I don't like it, I didn't do it, and I won't do it, but I respect the right of those people who did it to do it, and do it again.

99.99% of Husker fans, the ones who really truly are Huskers at the core of their being, will tell you that every loss we've suffered this season would be OK if, during those games, our players were giving the best effort they possibly could on every play. I'd be OK with a season full of 70-10 defeats if the kids did that every game.

But there isn't a player on that team that could look Husker Fan in the eye and say they’ve given a solid effort on every play, every game. If they did they’d be lying to us.

We are the best fans in the Universe. Just a little frustrated and that's okay. But to prove it, let's show some Husker love the rest of the season!

Support the BIG RED!!! Support the N!!!

:power

I totally agree! Maybe I'm too old and stubborn, but I'll never give up on 'em! I am always proud to say I'm from Nebraska.

GO BIG RED!!

so then were we the only good team the whole time??? your logic is seriously LACKING! we stood out among not only the average teams fans, but the very good teams as well. just because we have a couple of stupid fans that are either drunk or a 12 years old does not change who we are.

When Missouri fans figure out how to win without egging cars and fighting people, come back here and talk sh#t.

NU and its fans have won with class since the '60s. There's something to be said for that. It's too bad the idiot Nebraska fans are always the loudest at games and get the most air time on radio shows, but they don't represent the majority of us. Even when Nebraska loses, both teams get cheered off the field in Memorial Stadium. Some people are acting like rednecks, but I think it's totally overboard to call us a fraud.

Is your name AJ?