I heard something sad yesterday...

SWHusker

I was picking my son up from school yesterday and there was a couple young boys talking about their favorite teams. The one third, maybe fourth grade boy says, "well it's not Nebraska! They can't beat anybody." A generation of young Huskers are being raised to think THIS is Nebraska football.

A friend of mine said it well, at this point we are really just "Iowa State West." Wow.

We really are one of the worst teams in the Big XII. I never thought I would ever say that.

Having said that, there is talent on this squad. HC/DC Pelini and OC Rathman should be able to turn it around fairly quickly.

I'm not sure I was talking about a kid's mindset so much as I was culture. It really is quite remarkable how the culture has changed even among the utes (ref. My cousin Vinny).

So that brings up a good question...will Husker culture change with one good season? I honestly don't think so. I think it'll be a good start but around "these here parts" Husker fans look for sustainable, consistent, winning football.

And again it wasn't that long ago Husker culture was relevant. Now just...what? 7-8 years later. We are irrelevant and everyone knows it.

I'm not sure I was talking about a kid's mindset so much as I was culture. It really is quite remarkable how the culture has changed even among the utes (ref. My cousin Vinny).

So that brings up a good question...will Husker culture change with one good season? I honestly don't think so. I think it'll be a good start but around "these here parts" Husker fans look for sustainable, consistent, winning football.

And again it wasn't that long ago Husker culture was relevant. Now just...what? 7-8 years later. We are irrelevant and everyone knows it.

Well, culture and mindset go hand in hand. With kids, things like tradition are almost a foreign concept. It's too mature of an idea for most of them to fully grasp, so it easily gets overridden by stuff like winning a lot. Appreciation of tradition comes through experience, so if they're exposed to an appreciation for Husker football beyond just winning (through their parents), even if they don't get it immediately, they will most likely get it when they're older.

I was picking my son up from school yesterday and there was a couple young boys talking about their favorite teams. The one third, maybe fourth grade boy says, "well it's not Nebraska! They can't beat anybody." A generation of young Huskers are being raised to think THIS is Nebraska football.

A friend of mine said it well, at this point we are really just "Iowa State West." Wow.

We really are one of the worst teams in the Big XII. I never thought I would ever say that.

Having said that, there is talent on this squad. HC/DC Pelini and OC Rathman should be able to turn it around fairly quickly.

Well, when I was their age I was a Sooner fan. My mom has kept my OU sweatshirts and reminds me all the time I was a big Sooner fan. I think as younger boys we tend to follow players more than actual teams. I was a huge 49er fan because of Joe Montana. When he went to KC, I changed to a KC fan. My family has always been KU basketball fans, but that has waned since they hired Bill Self. IMO, he's comparable to Bill Callahan. He gets great talent, but has no idea what to do with them. Look how far his Illinois team went AFTER he left.

From the standings right now, it does appear that NU will finish towards the bottom of the Big 12. I looks like the only ones below us might be Iowa State and Baylor. Who would have thought after making the title game a year ago that we would fall to near the bottom this year?