Gill or Pelini?

Interesting article, though I still want Pelini!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10169565

Lee Barfknecht: Is Gill's tenure at Buffalo temporary?

BY LEE BARFKNECHT

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Two kinds of football buzz are building at the University of Buffalo.

The first involves on-field success at a school that entered this season with a 12-79 record since its move to Division I-A in 1999.

Second-year coach Turner Gill, a former Nebraska star and assistant coach, has the Bulls (4-5 overall, 4-1 conference ) alone in first place in the Mid-American Conference East Division after a 26-10 victory over Akron on Saturday.

"There is some real growing respect for football around here," said Graham Stewart, UB's associate vice president for alumni relations. "People are seeing that change is occurring.

"We've had a couple of great home games where people looked at each other and said, 'Boy, this feels good.'"

The second source of chatter in Buffalo stems from athletic upheaval 1,050 miles away at Nebraska, and whether Gill is among those who might be targeted in a potential NU coaching search.

Among the facts:

• Former Husker coach Tom Osborne is the new athletic director in charge of evaluating a slumping football program.

• Osborne was a groomsman in Gill's wedding.

• In his book "More Than Winning," Osborne wrote that "I was probably closer to Turner than to any other player I have coached."

Said UB's Stewart: "It's more than on our radar screen. There's a heck of a lot of speculation here.

"I don't think there is any merit to it, but I'm not on the inside. It would be hard to turn down an opportunity like that. Whether this is the right time for Turner or for Nebraska is the big question."

Those on the inside - Gill and Buffalo Athletic Director Warde Manuel - aren't contributing to the speculation.

Gill told reporters in Buffalo that he is happy in his current position and focused on the season. Manuel, through the sports information director, politely declined an interview request saying he "didn't see any purpose to commenting at this time."

If this turns into a contest over money, Nebraska blows out Buffalo.

NU coach Bill Callahan's current contract guarantees him a $400,000 base salary and $1.35 million in other income for a total of $1.75 million annually.

Gill, in the second-year of a five-year deal, has a base salary of $180,000 and a minimum guarantee of outside income of $3,000. Yes, $3,000 is accurate.

Callahan's bonus for a bowl bid is $50,000. He also gets the unlimited use of two vehicles. Gill's bonus for a bowl bid is $15,000, and he gets a vehicle allowance of $400 a month.

Gill's contract states that he has the right to renegotiate his deal starting in January 2008. If he resigns to take another college or pro coaching job before Jan. 2, 2008, he must pay Buffalo $100,000.

Stewart said Gill has become a familiar figure on the Buffalo sports scene, and that there are plans to use him in more promotional work for the school.

"Turner has got such a great work ethic and style," Stewart said. "There's definitely some buzz around here. If we can get four or five wins in a season, things will really turn around."

Interesting article, though I still want Pelini!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10169565

Lee Barfknecht: Is Gill's tenure at Buffalo temporary?

BY LEE BARFKNECHT

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Two kinds of football buzz are building at the University of Buffalo.

The first involves on-field success at a school that entered this season with a 12-79 record since its move to Division I-A in 1999.

Second-year coach Turner Gill, a former Nebraska star and assistant coach, has the Bulls (4-5 overall, 4-1 conference ) alone in first place in the Mid-American Conference East Division after a 26-10 victory over Akron on Saturday.

"There is some real growing respect for football around here," said Graham Stewart, UB's associate vice president for alumni relations. "People are seeing that change is occurring.

"We've had a couple of great home games where people looked at each other and said, 'Boy, this feels good.'"

The second source of chatter in Buffalo stems from athletic upheaval 1,050 miles away at Nebraska, and whether Gill is among those who might be targeted in a potential NU coaching search.

Among the facts:

• Former Husker coach Tom Osborne is the new athletic director in charge of evaluating a slumping football program.

• Osborne was a groomsman in Gill's wedding.

• In his book "More Than Winning," Osborne wrote that "I was probably closer to Turner than to any other player I have coached."

Said UB's Stewart: "It's more than on our radar screen. There's a heck of a lot of speculation here.

"I don't think there is any merit to it, but I'm not on the inside. It would be hard to turn down an opportunity like that. Whether this is the right time for Turner or for Nebraska is the big question."

Those on the inside - Gill and Buffalo Athletic Director Warde Manuel - aren't contributing to the speculation.

Gill told reporters in Buffalo that he is happy in his current position and focused on the season. Manuel, through the sports information director, politely declined an interview request saying he "didn't see any purpose to commenting at this time."

If this turns into a contest over money, Nebraska blows out Buffalo.

NU coach Bill Callahan's current contract guarantees him a $400,000 base salary and $1.35 million in other income for a total of $1.75 million annually.

Gill, in the second-year of a five-year deal, has a base salary of $180,000 and a minimum guarantee of outside income of $3,000. Yes, $3,000 is accurate.

Callahan's bonus for a bowl bid is $50,000. He also gets the unlimited use of two vehicles. Gill's bonus for a bowl bid is $15,000, and he gets a vehicle allowance of $400 a month.

Gill's contract states that he has the right to renegotiate his deal starting in January 2008. If he resigns to take another college or pro coaching job before Jan. 2, 2008, he must pay Buffalo $100,000.

Stewart said Gill has become a familiar figure on the Buffalo sports scene, and that there are plans to use him in more promotional work for the school.

"Turner has got such a great work ethic and style," Stewart said. "There's definitely some buzz around here. If we can get four or five wins in a season, things will really turn around."

sad thing is Buffalo will have a better record than Nebraska because of dumb and dumber.

Well we almost lost to Ball St.

But that's not the point, we've got 100X the talent, facilities, budget, you name it, than Buffalo does. Turner Gill has taken an awful team that just joined division I-A into a conference leader. Whereas Bill Callahan has taken a national leader into a conference joke. To tell you the truth I'm not totally convinced we could even beat Buffalo, which is quite sad.

Does the fact that Buffalo has the same record that we do mean something?

I'm not defending our team, i know we're pitiful this year, but im not so sure if losses to USC, Mizzou, and Texas can be compared with losses to Syracuse, Baylor, and Ball St.

General you realize just how bad Buffalo was when Gill took-over? They were the worst program in college football. Now they are regularly beating the same conference-teams that used to consistently beat them two years ago. They'd have a winning record now if their AD hadn't filled their noncon with BCS-teams, even a Baylor or Syracuse has Buffalo significantly outgunned talent-wise. Buffalo and Neb may have the same record but Buffalo is getting a lot more out of their players.

I think we'll go for Bo or a guy with more HC-experience but I think Gill would be worth keeping our eye on anyway.

I am torn right now on whom i would rather have lead the huskers next season. I feel that either choice would be phenomenal and based on what gill is doing at buffalo he has shown that he can turn around a program quickly, but on the other hand pelini is the best defensive cordinator in america. Dang, I dunno i can see both men wearing the red polos and storming out of the tunnel but who will be the next coach at nebraska?

Top choices

Pelini

Gill

Levitt

Please dont even think about it nebraska, choices

Gary patterson

Craig bohl (we fired his butt in 2002 because the Defense was attrociuous but somehow people forgot about that)

Jim Grobe

What do u guys think Gill or Pelini? I just cant decide who is better

I'll admit, I've been on the Pelini bandwagon for awhile now. I've liked the guy ever since we had him as DC back in the day. He has a history with the Packers, which makes me like him even more. I think that the team needs a fiery guy, and if BC is released, I'd be pulling for Pelini.

I think Bo Pelini will be the next head coach, with Turner Gill being brought in as Offensive Coordinator.

I think this is exactly what TO has in mind; and with the Pelini hire, naming Gill OC and Assistant Head Coach.

After todays game, and the gutsy showing of the players, it does make one scratch his head saying, "what the hell is going on?". All I can say is trust TO. He has coached, and known many coaches, and I feel he knows what will bring the program back to the level he left it. TRUST TO!