Chillin on the LSU Board . . .

uh.. which part were you saying dont believe everything you see on a message board to? the "and this is a bad thing" comment (which was pry sarcasm, i was just covering my answer in case it wasnt) or the actual post.. cuz the actual post came from no where near a message board.....

and Muschamp would be nice to go after.. but since its rumored that A&M is looking at Tuberville.. wouldn't auburn like to give Muschamp a chance?

Love Muschamp and think he's twice the DC Pelini is (OK maybe one and a quarter the DC). Auburn has just flat out shut down their opponents. Those early season losses to USF and Miss St. were mainly a result of their offense turning the ball over. Not sure what kind of head coach he'd make though. Would like to know the answers to Spartness's questions.

Also, I've been enjoying the Perilloux chat over on the LSU board myself. All of the controversy makes for interesting reading. Check it out.

uh.. which part were you saying dont believe everything you see on a message board to? the "and this is a bad thing" comment (which was pry sarcasm, i was just covering my answer in case it wasnt) or the actual post.. cuz the actual post came from no where near a message board.....

and Muschamp would be nice to go after.. but since its rumored that A&M is looking at Tuberville.. wouldn't auburn like to give Muschamp a chance?

Love Muschamp and think he's twice the DC Pelini is (OK maybe one and a quarter the DC). Auburn has just flat out shut down their opponents. Those early season losses to USF and Miss St. were mainly a result of their offense turning the ball over. Not sure what kind of head coach he'd make though. Would like to know the answers to Spartness's questions.

Also, I've been enjoying the Perilloux chat over on the LSU board myself. All of the controversy makes for interesting reading. Check it out.

Twice the DC?

I've seen some posters who, for whatever reason, think that Muschamp is a great DC and that Pelini is only good (but not great). I'm curious as to why some seem to think that?

Muschamp's defenses

2001-2004 - LSU

2001 - 75th in total D, 39th in scoring D, 10-3 record

2002 - 8th in total D, 15th in scoring D, 8-5 record

2003 - 1st in total D, 1st in scorind D, 13-1 record *

2004 - 3rd in total D, 11th in scoring D, 9-3 record

2005 - Miami Dolphins Assistant Head Coach for Defense

2006-present Auburn

2006 - 19th in total D, 7th in scoring D, 11-2 record

2007 - 8th in total D, 5th in scoring D, record 6-3 so far

Total D average: 19th

Scoring D average: 13th

Winning percentage: 77%

Pelini's defenses

2003 - NU

2003 - 11th in total D, 2nd in scoring D, 10-3 record

2004 - Co-DC OU

2004 - 13th in total D, 11th in scoring D, 12-1 record

2005-present - LSU

2005 - 3rd in total D, 3rd in scoring D, 11-2 record

2006 - 3rd in total D, 4th in scoring D, 11-2 record

2007 - 2nd in total D, 9th in scoring D, 7-1 record so far

Total D average: 6th

Scoring D average: 6th

Winning percentage: 85.5%

Even if one were to omit M's first year at LSU his #'s would be:

Total D average: 8th

Scoring D average: 8th

Winning percentage: 77% again

Can someone explain to me why Pelini is only just a good DC while Muschamp is a great one?

Another favorite of mine: “LSU has better athletes than Auburn”

Auburn’s D rankings the past couple of years:

2005 – 19th total, 6th scoring

2004 – 5th total, 1st scoring

2003 – 5th total, 9th scoring

^^^^ It would appear to me that Auburn has plenty of good athletes on defense ^^^^

Twice the DC?

I've seen some posters who, for whatever reason, think that Muschamp is a great DC and that Pelini is only good (but not great). I'm curious as to why some seem to think that?

Muschamp's defenses

2001-2004 - LSU

2001 - 75th in total D, 39th in scoring D, 10-3 record

2002 - 8th in total D, 15th in scoring D, 8-5 record

2003 - 1st in total D, 1st in scorind D, 13-1 record *

2004 - 3rd in total D, 11th in scoring D, 9-3 record

2005 - Miami Dolphins Assistant Head Coach for Defense

2006-present Auburn

2006 - 19th in total D, 7th in scoring D, 11-2 record

2007 - 8th in total D, 5th in scoring D, record 6-3 so far

Total D average: 19th

Scoring D average: 13th

Winning percentage: 77%

Pelini's defenses

2003 - NU

2003 - 11th in total D, 2nd in scoring D, 10-3 record

2004 - Co-DC OU

2004 - 13th in total D, 11th in scoring D, 12-1 record

2005-present - LSU

2005 - 3rd in total D, 3rd in scoring D, 11-2 record

2006 - 3rd in total D, 4th in scoring D, 11-2 record

2007 - 2nd in total D, 9th in scoring D, 7-1 record so far

Total D average: 6th

Scoring D average: 6th

Winning percentage: 85.5%

Even if one were to omit M's first year at LSU his #'s would be:

Total D average: 8th

Scoring D average: 8th

Winning percentage: 77% again

Can someone explain to me why Pelini is only just a good DC while Muschamp is a great one?

Another favorite of mine: “LSU has better athletes than Auburn”

Auburn’s D rankings the past couple of years:

2005 – 19th total, 6th scoring

2004 – 5th total, 1st scoring

2003 – 5th total, 9th scoring

^^^^ It would appear to me that Auburn has plenty of good athletes on defense ^^^^

Just one example why I don't like looking at those big data points: Right now LSU is 2nd in total D and Auburn is 8th. I would take Auburn's D over LSU's any day of the week (and this coming from someone who watches LSU every week).

In crucial situations LSU's defense has really let me down this year. Against Florida they came out and got completely gutted in the first half and would have lost the game if Florida hadn't fumbled in the final minutes. Against Kentucky they could not come up with a stop in OT. Against Auburn they played most of the game well, then in the final two minutes allowed a pretty pathetic Auburn offense to drive 80+ yards and score a TD, at home. They have trouble closing games, which I attribute to coaching (yet they're still ranked #2 in total defense).

Auburn on the other hand held Florida to a mere 17 points in the swamp, held Arkansas to 7 points. They did give up the TD at the end of the LSU game, but they actually had the play covered. I'm still not sure how that pass got completed.

I realize this is just this year, but I think the example extends to past years. LSU has often had a very good offense, which gets big leads over opponents and makes their opponents one-dimensional on offense (think VaTech this year). Auburn's had much poorer offensive play, and looking at their schedule, they're in a slugging match week in and week out. In most of those games, the burden has fallen squarely on the shoulders of that D, and every year I'm impressed with their ability to win games that way. That's something that can't be said of LSU.

Again, you're looking at some overall strength of schedule rating. Look at the individual matchups.

They play all the same teams in the SEC West. And in the East LSU got SC, Florida, and at Kentucky. Auburn got Vandy, at Florida, and at Georgia. LSU played poor D against Florida, good D against SC, and terrible D against Kentucky. Auburn dismantled Vandy, held Florida to 17 in the swamp, and hasnt played Georgia yet. Plus, the vast majority of Auburn's tough games were on the road, while the vast majority of LSU's are at home. I had multiple Auburn fans complain to me before the season started about how much tougher their SEC schedule was than LSU's, and they were right.

In non-conference games, Auburn's premeir game was USF and LSU's was VaTech. At the beginning of the season, this looked lopsided, but USF turned out to be much better than anyone thought. In any case, Auburn played really great D against USF despite the loss (like I said before, most of USFs points were defensive or off turnovers) and LSU played great D against VaTech. I think those are pretty much a wash since both teams have proven to be offensively inept against lesser opponents.

As far as I'm concerned, Auburn has a slightly tougher schedule because more of their tough games are on the road, including the LSU game.

Auburn vs. LSU

Auburn's D allowed 488 total yards - LSU's averaging 435 per game, = allowed 53 more yards than average

LSU's D allowed 296 total yards - Auburn's averaging 340 per game, = held to 44 less yards than average

This is not something unusual to see Pelini's D do; holding teams to less yards than average.

Numbers are closer than I thought they were.

I was at the LSU game, and watched the entirety of the Auburn game, and was much more impressed with Auburn's defensive performance. Again, I don't think you can look at a single yardage total. At the very end of the Auburn game...with only a few minutes left and the game tied Florida gets the ball around midfield. Auburn forces a 3 and out and makes them actually lose a bunch yardage. Also, Auburn played pretty consistently. LSU's D put themselves in a huge hole early, though they did play well in the 2nd half. This is something Auburn's D simply can not afford to do cause their offense isn't good enough to bail them out.

just a touch on the character part...

a criticism i have heard of pelini and a very plausible reason to why he may NOT get the job (and didnt when he was here originally) is that when at the bowl game he told the players they were men and he would treat them like men as long as they would show up when they were supposed to be there.. reports are there were women in the rooms at all times of the night and they were drinking all the time.. then again, we won the game and played quite well..

i'll hope over there and see how it is.. thanks for the link

And that's a bad thing? <_<

i sincerely hope that is a joke...

yes it is a bad thing when they are preparing for a bowl game.. isn't the last thing you want when while getting ready to play let's say a BCS bowl game is a bunch of exhausted players from non-football activities the night before?

Depends on the Woman.

OK..sorta kidding..But most players play better when they're not uptight.

I still wonder if the Suns would've won an NBA Championship against the Bulls if Barkley wasn't so hungover.