An honest question about the defensive line.

HuskerT

I'm sure you've noticed it, so can anyone tell me the reason (besides Coz being a moron) why our D-line lines up a yard off the ball. I've never seen another team do it, but I notice that we do it almost all the time. Is this something taught by our coaches for some sort of reason or do the players do this on their own. I'm really curious about it.

I'm sure you've noticed it, so can anyone tell me the reason (besides Coz being a moron) why our D-line lines up a yard off the ball. I've never seen another team do it, but I notice that we do it almost all the time. Is this something taught by our coaches for some sort of reason or do the players do this on their own. I'm really curious about it.

it helps the o line get momentum?

I was afraid that was the reason

I was afraid that was the reason

well it did work ;)

I know why the D line is off the ball a yard.

They think that the opposing team's offense will run so many plays that their O line will get tired of that extra yard they have to move forward to block our D line.

Wait........they really don't HAVE to block our D line, do they...........

Let me think about it a while

1. It's the coaching staff instructing them to do it. And they should be FIRED immediately!

2. The palyers did it on their own and the coaching staff did nothing about it. And they should be FIRED immediately.

Concensus... FIRE THIS DC NOW!!! FIRE THIS HC NOW!!!

I don't know that it's true that they line up a yard off, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I know the defensive philosophy is to engage the offensive lineman and then read/react to the play.

Perhaps the theory is that it allows them to get their hands on the OL. A read/react defense would also be why our defense has been very unproductive on sacknig the QB.

I think the previous scheme was to just line up and try to get gap penetration--thereby getting into the backfield and disrupting the play. In that case, it'd be better to get past the lineman before he got his hands on you.

You mean Nebraska has a DEFENSIVE LINE? I'll be dammed...