5* recruits or recruiting by media

Mangino kicked our butts today with no 5 * recruits, how and why;

How because he actually recruited talent instead of reading press clippings. We used to do that. Find the heart and coach em up to team level.

Why could Mangino do this? Out recruit us? He was able to because he is a Coach, not a media made personality like Cally and his staff. Our DB coach is the worst, our whole Defense is worst statisticly as well as how they prepare for each opposing offense.

Mangino knew he had less but gave more and out worked the fat cats that get hired on hype.

Resumes hiring is always dangerous, 1 there are agencies that rotate their own guys, callahan was one of these high profile guys that could get hired on reputation alone, and then sink the ship and start all over again. KU learned from the years of mishires, that agents are making a market for thier own talent and interests.

NU needs to reboot and get back to basics. Bring in a Marvin Sanders, like Okie State brought in Gundy....or A Will Shields or a host of other NU alum who knows the difference between hype and performance, between a winning tradition and a ego centric attitude that never delivers when push comes to shove.

All these boards have been rife with the Recruiting rankings for the last 4 years.....stop right now; and disconnect from these ratings services, wasnt it lemming who sent Callahan that db from chicago that was horrible, pachenko or something like that. Callahan commented in the media he liked to use his connections....BS. He uses the services as plausible deniability for not being a good judge of talent or performance....and so it goes for his entire staff.

The whole rcruiting thing is being orchestrated by writers, not coaches with eyes for talent. Talent needs heart and if you dont believe me, call up Mangino....he works for his standing.....never expected to be awarded it by the hubris of the crowd.

Don't matter what they are rated if they don't become better and learn from the coaching staff. Also, don't matter if they are a bunch of me type guys that don't care about the program just want to make the pros. I just don't like the juco route.

:yeah

It's kind of like taking a knife to a gunfight. We have talent. We have speed. However, we don't have a coaching staff to do anything with it. It would be like taking the best athletes in high school and playing an average to below average college football team. The high schoolers would get kicked around pretty hard.

The problem with the recruiting gurus is that they see a kid who has developed faster than his peers dominate in a high school game and give them a high rating based on one thing. How good they look in a high school game. The high school coach isn't going to tell them "He hasn't even seen our weight room." The guru gives him 5 stars and the big schools offer him and he goes to Florida or somewhere. Kansas, for instance, has no shot at those types, so they dig deeper, turn over more rocks. They are looking at unranked guys so there is less margin for error. They find out about work ethic and things like that and know exactly what they are getting. I think NU used to be more like that.

We all just have to find a way to get back the love for the game, a kid that is #1 in florida and some top ranked kids out of texas cannot win games for any team as long as they are playing for themselves and not the team. For many years the big eight took farm boys and walked all over these #1 picks, when you take your local talent out it is like cutting out your own heart. This is just my opinion and what the hell do I know, hell I coach pee-wee football and get stabbed in the back every year because I believe all my kids need to play and learn the fundamentals. Don't play someone because of what they have done in the past, play them for what they are willing to do now. SORRY I put this post on another post but it fits better here.

General fans don't understand this, they think that a 4* or 5* recruit is someone who can come in and be an immediate impact player at the College level. This is the furthest thing from the truth. These are kkids that have been impact players at the High School level only. They do not know all the technique involved at the next level. Developing talent is the key to winning at the college level.

Redshirting is extremely important in developing these kids. So many people scream to play these big time recruits. Truth is they realy are not ready and it only hurts the team long term not having them there 5 years.

for an example. Say each teams starting lineup is 10 seniors, 9 jrs, 2 soph and 1 fresh.

Team Red doesn't redshirt. Team blue redshirts everyone.

Team reds previous years experiance is SR - 30 years, JR - 18 years, Soph - 2 years, Fresh - 0

Total team previous years experiance = 50 Years

Team Blue previous years experiance is SR - 40, JR - 27, Soph 4, Fresh - 1

Total team previous years experiance = 72 Years

Team Blue has 22 more years of experiance coming in to the season than Team Red. The differance in experiance adds up even more than this when you start adding up the experiance from their depth charts.

The speed differnce between HS and college is what can set one player apart from another....and how they adapt to it. Same reason some good college players don't make it in the pro's.

A lot of it is confidence, which most of these 5* players have....but it is coming to speed and getting technique that will make them successful in college ball.

How many walk ons has Nebraska had over the years that went all the way to the pros? A good coach can spot someone that can make that transition, it isn't just how fast you are or what you have done to that point. You have to have the desire and ability to learn how to use them, or to know how to compensate for what you don't have.

I love that you mentioned Will Shields. I wish we could get that guy here as an O-line coach. I mean a kid looking to be an amazing O-linemen would have to be a total moron not to want to play for Will Shields. He was presented yesterday at the KC vs Packers game that I went to, the man's presence just gives a husker fan the chills. 13 pro-bowls, was a back up for only half of one game and started every single game for the rest of his NFL career. PURE DOMINANCE! : )