Is the door going to hit us in the ass?

Hunter94

The evaluation should be over, this flippin' staff has given us our worse loss EVER & the worse defense in over 50 years. I wouldn't want these idiots coaching our high school team!

I was openly supporting the possibility of keeping Watson...not anymore, I want them all gone & everything associated with these clowns. I hate to say it but same with the players & recruits, don't whine about how you support these clowns--you were brought here or asked to come here to play & get an education, this isn't the friggin' NFL & your blind if you think Cally will get you there. If you don't like it leave or decommit. I'm sick of the flippin' whining. I watched a beat up GPAC team today (that is on the real short end of a win loss record) knock the crap out of people! Why? Cus' they got heart and they have no thoughts about being a superstar going to the damn NFL!

there are SO MANY good coaches out there. I think the idea that we need to fire bill now simply beacuse we will lose the opportunity to find a suitable replacement is just silly. also who is going to beat us to all of the good coaches. its not like there are a bunch of other schools that HAVE fired their coach

Exactly. Why would a guy take an offer from another school now, anyway. That would be like a kid commiting to the first and only school who offers him in his junior year. A coach looking for a better gig will wait until he has competing offers and his pick of schools. Anyway, what coach is going to take another job during the regular season? Coaches have reputations too.

i am sure at the time, Os thought waiting until the end of the season was the correct way to handle this thing, but like so many other fans, i am concerned we are losing valuable ground in recruiting and in securing a new coach by waiting to evaluate the season at the end.

my real concern is that Pelini and Johnson along with several other coaches may be getting offers under the table already (we are not the only team that needs new coaches) and we may well be just sh#t out of luck when the time comes to get a proven replacement in here to take over the team.

i just hope Dr. Tom is not trying so hard to live up to such high standards regarding etiquette and sportsman like conduct that we will be shopping at Wal Mart for a new coach when the season is over.

surely Tom would not let us get out foxed on this end of the deal??

Just because TO hasn't talked to a potential new coach doesn't mean that said potential coach hasn't been contacted by someone from NU. I'm of the opinion that TO took this job as AD under some understood circumstances. I believe the big money people wanted him as AD and told him that they were buying Pud and Cally's contracts out. They probably asked his opinion on a successor and then said ok we want this guy. I have a feeling the groundwork for our new coach was laid about a month ago.

Not to change the subject, but IBR said after the Texas game Clownahan would resign. I'm wondering since the Texass game was so close that he didn't want to just wait it out. Now however after getting completely clocked by KU, what are the chances we have a BC resignation coming Monday?

i think everyone would be so relieved if something (someone) was dismissed on Monday, but again, that is not likely to happen.

the pain is in knowing we all have to endure 2 more games, in which we will likely get our asses handed to us again. went the outcome is inevitable, it makes waiting that much more painful. (actually i think this will hurt cally&cozs' future even more......it is now their albatross to wear around their necks)

in fact, there will really be no relief until the staff is officially fired and a new coach is announced......probably later this month. we have no choice but to hang in there for now...3-4 more weeks people.

ok, genuis. he is old school and has been out of football for many years. just hoping he knows how to cope in this dog eat dog environment that we live in now. not a totally unfounded concern, if you think about how it was back in Tom's day, when he was coaching, lots of things have changed, not just 911.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!??? The man was in Congress for crying out loud! If anyone would be able to cope in a 'dog eat dog' environment it would be him! Besides, he's been on the sidelines watching and waiting. He's NEVER really been out of football. He has continued to watch it and be involved with the coaches that are invovled in it today. He's not some bear that has been hybrinating all these year. If I had confidence in ANYONE to make the right decision for this program it would be in him. I suspect, knowing the kind of man he is, that he has an entire network of people gathering information for him which he gathers information himself, in order to make the best decision possible for this program. He built this NU city. He's not about to make any rash decisions that will tear it down.

TLS2

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!??? The man was in Congress for crying out loud! If anyone would be able to cope in a 'dog eat dog' environment it would be him! Besides, he's been on the sidelines watching and waiting. He's NEVER really been out of football. He has continued to watch it and be involved with the coaches that are invovled in it today. He's not some bear that has been hybrinating all these year.

Exactly. I would wager Tom Osborne knows more about what "dog-eat-dog" is than anyone at the University right now. And it's not like he's been out of athletics. He works with athletes at Creighton and is helping Iowa Western Community College get their football program up and running. He understands the business and the psyche of the college athlete.

Besides, he teaches a leadership class at UNL. What kind of example would he be setting if he let this ship sink? I have all the confidence in the world in Dr. Tom.

In TO I trust. That's about the only reason I stay optimistic after these woodshed beatings. We could get rid of the whole coaching staff now, but what would that do? Although I think Lil Red and Herbie would do a much better job than the current staff.

TO will name a quality replacement in due time. It's just not going to happen before the season's over IMO because I can't think of any top quality coach that would just take a new job before the season's over and done with.

:restore

ok, genuis. he is old school and has been out of football for many years. just hoping he knows how to cope in this dog eat dog environment that we live in now. not a totally unfounded concern, if you think about how it was back in Tom's day, when he was coaching, lots of things have changed, not just 911.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!??? The man was in Congress for crying out loud! If anyone would be able to cope in a 'dog eat dog' environment it would be him! Besides, he's been on the sidelines watching and waiting. He's NEVER really been out of football. He has continued to watch it and be involved with the coaches that are involved in it today. He's not some bear that has been hibernating all these year. If I had confidence in ANYONE to make the right decision for this program it would be in him. I suspect, knowing the kind of man he is, that he has an entire network of people gathering information for him which he gathers information himself, in order to make the best decision possible for this program. He built this NU city. He's not about to make any rash decisions that will tear it down.

TLS2

i don't know of any instances, when he was in Congress, that he was intimately involved in any one's football program......do you? and yes, i am sure he watched a few games on TV, just like you and me.

my point is, he is so ethical and reflective that he may find himself wanting a potential candidate, after the season is over, that may not be available. if you don't think there aren't negotiations going on already with some of the top candidates (behind the scenes) they you are completely naive.

he has said himself he has not talked to any new prospective coaches and he will wait until the season is over to evaluate the situation at NU. hiring and negotiations are completely different now, then they were 10 years ago. i just hope he has representatives making contacts and making serious overtures to potential high profile coaches now. the head coaching job at NU is not just for anyone who happens to be available when you come calling....Ped learned that lesson the hard way.