Rock Bottom

I'm not even sure if this is the bottom. We seem to find a new bottom most every week

That is why i terrified to watch us play the last two games. Evey week i keep telling myself, well it cant get any worse, or atleast we arent Notre Dame. Then saturday comes and some how it gets worse, and we are getting close to the Notre Dame level, atleast they havent given up a 76 points in a game this year.

when my dad was coaching at Nebraska in the mid 80's I remember watching the Skers destroy KU and K-State in back to back weekends something like 129-10. I mean, not even close. I was probably about 7 years old.

I asked my dad, "Dad, how come we beat those teams so bad? Do we have to score that many points? How come they keep playing us every year if they have no chance? Will they ever get a chance to beat us?"

And my dad responded, "Son, we beat those teams so bad cuz they have no tradition and have a losing atmosphere that permeates the whole program. See all these pictures up of all these great players? It's a winning tradition with a winners mentality here. The guys on our team know it's a priviledge to play for Nebraska. It perpetuates itself. We score that many points on them because they can't stop us. Even when we put in our back-ups back-ups, we are still better than them. Plus, they give up. They half to play us every year because they are in our conference. Just like Oklahoma and Iowa State. Well, I don't think they'll ever beat us in your lifetime, at least...I mean, we half to play the games so anything could happen, but our cultures are polar opposites and unless they gets coaches and funding from the Administration, which they haven't for 20 years, then no. They probably won't ever beat us. Plus, purple uniforms are about the ugliest thing on Earth."

That seriously, is almost word for word what he said. Little did I know, that about 5 years later we would move to Kansas and all it's 'culture of losing.' We saw it first hand when it came to the football teams. Sure Danny Manning had a little success here and there, but football is what matters and their fans had ZERO hope. My friends parents who were KU and KSU alums hated having me around because I just couldn't believe (out loud, in respectful, yet amazement) that some of them actually cheered for their team.

Fast forward to today and realize where a guy like Peter is coming from. Never in our wildest imagination could KU or Kstate or ISU or OSU do the things they've been doing to us. We were at the '05 game and my dad met with some former teammates of his as we were walking out and they said, "Wow!! We may not have beat OU every year but we NEVER lost to Kansas."

And then it hit me....NEVER in my life had I seen Missouri, Kansas, K-state, or OSU beat Nebraska until the last 5 or 6 years. Yes, teams can improve and get good coaches (Snyder), their administrations can fix things up (KU's stadium and facilities upgrades)--but never in Jason Peter's mind or that of mine, growing up in a Culture of Dominance over those teams as a 7 year old, can fathom the nightmare that has unfolded this season.

I know, as well as most of you surely do, exactly what he means when he says he Just Can't Imagine How Kansas Did This To Us...It's as if a piece of a secret that we had always held over them is finally revealed and they get to see the ONE THING we as Nebraskan's hold dear. Just like 62-36 and 70-10, now add 76-36. The secret is out and our Pride is shaken.

But the Key Maker has a new mold. Sure, we may have actual rivalries on our hands for awhile, but we will suffer no more when we start to do things that we as Cornhusker fans know, deep in our gut--that feeling--that at least we're doing it our way. Go Big Red.

yep, there is no other way around it. it's in our CULTURE to have a great football team. that's why, at the end of the day, Callahan didn't fit in. Culture of Unity and Team and Selflessness.

He may have preached it, but he just doesn't get it when it comes to the Heart of Nebraska. that's why i sleep better with Tom and everyone coming back. my gut is telling me everything will be fine, come Wins or Loses.

Callahan like Weiz for Notre Dame bought in the NFL mentality which will not work unless you have great players that are self motivated. Both of those coaches after losing games against teams that neither team has lost to in decades both stated the loss was tough but it happens. To hear these two coaches game after game say it's only one loss should tell you that.

My greatest fear right now is not that we lose any more games. It's that we don't give the program back to a coach who will remember our winning tradition. Whatever happens, even if it means we lose games for another three years, our tradition must remain intact. I believe that even if we have some rough seas ahead, if we play Nebraska football, if we just do what we've done for forty years, that sooner or later we'll be right back on top. I don't believe the power running game is dead. I don't think you need top 10 recruiting classes to be a dominant program. What you need are people who've dreamed of playing for the Huskers their whole lives, who would smash through brick walls just to get one shot to show Husker nation what they're made of. You need Nebraska blood.

We do have a winning tradition, and this is the very thing which makes me detest Callahan almost as much as any person alive: he's all but killed that spirit at Nebraska. For you older guys, did you ever expect that on a chilly November morning Husker fans would collectively sigh as they flipped on the tube with the knowledge that a friggin' Kansas team was about to demolish us?

I don't care what damage it does, how many recruits we lose, but Bill Callahan, with his every waking moment, weakens us further. It would be better to have him hurled out tomorrow than to pollute this team and our tradition any more than he has.

X

that's kind of what i started a topic about a couple days ago: that a lot more damage has been done to the psyche of the players in and to the program itself. are we seeing a culture shift?

i know it sounds crazy after just 4 years of an 'outsider', but even Jason Peter is damn near speechless that we got OBLITERATED by friggin KANSAS.

but like i said, even some more loses can't dampen the true spirit of the fans. i think we will recognize that we are doing things a certain way and that it is the Action.