HuskerBoard Salute to Huskers in Iraq

Blackshirt

I received this info in the latest Alum newsletter. Let me know if anyone wants their contact info to send something, and I can request it. Or if enough members leave a short note here in this thread in respect to the sacrifice they are making for us, I'll request their email addresses and send them our notes.

Four of the 14 Husker alumni now serving in Tikrit, Iraq, show off a Nebraska Alumni Association banner signed by attendees at one of this fall’s Husker Huddles. From left to right are Capt. Dawn Lenz (Class of ‘98-Business Administration), Maj. Deb Stewart (friend of the Alumni Association from South Sioux City), Maj. Scott Znamenacek (Class of ‘92, History), and Maj. Kip Korth (Class of ‘93-Construction Management). The photo was taken outside the headquarters of the 1st Infantry Division in Tikrit, about 100 miles northwest of Baghdad on the Tigris River. Let us know if you would like to send a care package or holiday card to any of our alumni soldiers in Iraq and we will gladly provide you with the addresses.

I'll start by expressing my sincere gratitude for sacrificing your time to serve our country. Whether or not we agree with everything is irrelevant - the point is that unfortunately someone has to do it, and I recognize your discipline and the sacrifices you are making. It's easy to just go about our lives back home and put the war out of our minds, but we need to keep all of you guys in our thoughts more often. I know its not easy being away from your family and friends, and Huskers for that matter - especially over the Holidays. So thank you very much, and help cheer the Big Red on to a bowl game!!

Chad

To place one's self in danger on the behalf of others is the ultimate in selflessness, and this country cannot adequately express its appreciation, nor its gratitude. Please don’t let disagreements about the necessity of the war make you think that you are not supported – you are there, and we support you. You have our heartfelt thanks.

May the holidays bring you all the joy possible, may your loved ones remain safe and protected, and may you come to no harm. God bless and godspeed.

All the respect in the world to our folks in the big sandbox.

I've worn the "green jammies", and it sucks being in a crapass place, far from friends and family.

I'd also like to give respect to my late grandfather, 1st Inf Division, Oct 43-Aug 44. Without him, I wouldn't be posting on this board.

Back to topic at hand.

What these men and women do so we can enjoy the freedoms we have is unbelievable. I can't say thank you enough. I am so glad that there are people who will put their life on the line for all of us.

Benard maybe they put this here so people that only check the openfield will see it and show their gratitiude to the troops. Leave it alone and move on.

Guest Huskerboard

Thanks to everyone who has responded to the original topic. To those wondering where the slapfight has gone, look on another board. However, a response to the issue raised in this thread can be found in the "huskerboard feedback" forum.