Unnecessary Roughness

Just another reason why Nebraska fans aren't "the greatest fans in college football". They are pretty average IMO.

Just a question for you Dave H. Who are the "greatest" fans in college football?

Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Missouri, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, etc?

Who is it? The overwhelming consensus nationwide is that NEBRASKA fans are. That is based on much more than just our history this year. I don't know of any state or fan base that is as knowledgable as ours. I don't know of any other team that stands and claps for the opponent, Win or lose.

There is NO place like Nebraska... when it comes to the GREATEST fans in the country!

Yeah that's what I'd like to know from the people who want to trash ALL the fans for the acts of a few.

If Nebraska fans aren't the "greatest" fans in college football then who are and why?

The last time I went to a game in Memorial (2005) there was a couple Iowa State fans cheering and mouthing off over a poor call. A nebraska fan challenged them and started poor mouthing them. Instantly about a dozen fans told him to cool off and reminded him "that we're better than that." Name me one other crowd, College OR pro that you're going to see that sort of pride in sportsmanship. I saw similar stuff at the orange bowl when we played Tennessee.

:yeah

Any time you Fan Bashers want to answer these questions, I too am all ears.

Nebraska fans are very good at treating visitors right. In that respect we deserve the best fans in college football. But as we've seen this year, when it comes to purely internal things, we leave a lot to be desired. In that respect we're no different than most other teams.

What have we done wrong? And by "we" I mean the 85,000 people who pack the stadium every week, and the other half million or so spread across the country who go to ridiculous lengths to see the kids play whenever they travel near, or who travel two towns away because some crummy bar is playing the game. What have those fans done wrong?

If you're calling me and all those other people out because some jackasses have made stupid comments to the players, coaches and the coaches' families, then I'm not taking that blame. I didn't do it and I don't condone it. The thousands of Husker Fans I grew up around wouldn't do it or condone it, either.

So who exactly are you talking about, Ebyl? And I'd like that question answered by anyone who thinks I'm a bad fan, or the rest of the people in Memorial Stadium like me are similarly bad.

Nebraska fans are very good at treating visitors right. In that respect we deserve the best fans in college football. But as we've seen this year, when it comes to purely internal things, we leave a lot to be desired. In that respect we're no different than most other teams.

What have we done wrong? And by "we" I mean the 85,000 people who pack the stadium every week, and the other half million or so spread across the country who go to ridiculous lengths to see the kids play whenever they travel near, or who travel two towns away because some crummy bar is playing the game. What have those fans done wrong?

If you're calling me and all those other people out because some jackasses have made stupid comments to the players, coaches and the coaches' families, then I'm not taking that blame. I didn't do it and I don't condone it. The thousands of Husker Fans I grew up around wouldn't do it or condone it, either.

So who exactly are you talking about, Ebyl? And I'd like that question answered by anyone who thinks I'm a bad fan, or the rest of the people in Memorial Stadium like me are similarly bad.

All you have to do is read message boards, talk to people you know, listen to the news, listen to the radio, etc, and you will hear plenty of viciousness and personal attacks. People criticizing anything they can find, no matter how much of a stretch it might be, and fans booing the team and coaches. The list goes on and on. It's not an isolated incident or two, but a general undertone of ugliness.

I'm NOT saying the entire fanbase is like this, but it is a significant enough portion of the fanbase that it's being recognized by everyone, including the national media (just as the good things get recognized, like how we treat visiting fans).

I'm not calling you a bad fan. You're way too combative and I'm not going to bother responding to you anymore if you continue to put words in my mouth.

All you have to do is read message boards, talk to people you know, listen to the news, listen to the radio, etc, and you will hear plenty of viciousness and personal attacks. People criticizing anything they can find, no matter how much of a stretch it might be, and fans booing the team and coaches. The list goes on and on. It's not an isolated incident or two, but a general undertone of ugliness.

I'm NOT saying the entire fanbase is like this, but it is a significant enough portion of the fanbase that it's being recognized by everyone, including the national media (just as the good things get recognized, like how we treat visiting fans).

I'm not calling you a bad fan. You're way too combative and I'm not going to bother responding to you anymore if you continue to put words in my mouth.

But you ARE calling me a bad fan by lumping me and everyone else in with the losers who do loser things. I'm sorry if you find that "too combative," but I was taught that if someone called you out, you answered them. I'm a Husker Fan, always will be. I will always live by those words inscribed on the walls of Memorial Stadium. I take umbrage to anyone who tells me that we aren't classy, that we aren't "the best fans in college football." I think if you say those things you should be able to defend what you say. I don't see how that's combative.

Do you remember back in the 90s when we were winning championships, and all the bad press we got? Remember Christian Peters' issues, Lawrence Phillips' problems? Remember how every single thing, all the way down to a parking ticket, used to make ESPN or Sports Illustrated? Remember how they painted the whole program in a bad light because of the actions of a few players?

That's what everyone calling out the fans is doing today. You're submarining your own people because a few nitwits have done some reprehensible things.

I will NEVER do that. I will ALWAYS be unhappy when someone else calls Husker Fans anything other than classy simply because some twits wearing red did something stupid. I couldn't care less what the national press thinks of us. If you haven't noticed by now, the media tends to overly focus on bad things because everyone will watch a train wreck. That doesn't make what they report the ONLY story, nor does it mean that what they're saying is the WHOLE of the story.

You may decide to stop responding to me. That's fine. You can even Ignore me with the little button. Don't care. But every time you or anyone else calls out the Husker Fans that I know, I'm going to respond, and expect you to explain yourself.

Bad fans are people who cheer for their team to lose (not even fans at all at that point). Bad fans harass the coaches' kids or the players...personal attacks, things like that.

Nowhere did I say Husker fans are bad fans. I simply said we leave a lot to be desired when it comes to handling internal things. What we're seeing is really no different than what you'd see at any other school where football is huge. So that makes us basically the same as other schools, in that respect (which I've already said).

We are great fans when it comes to treating other visitors right, probably the best. The same as everyone else when it comes to handling internal matters...once again, that doesn't mean bad fans...or else I'd be calling ever other school's fans out there bad fans. Which I'm not.

You know, I have to apologize. I totally took what you wrote first wrong.

I haven't even had one beer today (nor anything else, actually), so I don't have that as an excuse.

I see what you're saying, Ebyl. I do not agree with the whole concept of who is "the best college fans" out there, because it's simply a subjective argument. Overall I think we have very knowledgeable fans, very polite fans, and very respectful fans. I think that has to put us up there with the other great fanbases in the country.

I don't think that it's a bad thing to be disgruntled about this program as is, and I don't think it's a bad thing to want him to be fired based on the current state of our program. There are very, very good people associated with this program who have been alienated by this coach and his staff, and that's not acceptable. Callahan and Co. need to go before we sever ties with our past players and coaches. It's that even more than the performance of the team this year that has me wanting him out.

Just another reason why Nebraska fans aren't "the greatest fans in college football". They are pretty average IMO.

I wouldn't say we are the worst fans by any means, but I agree we are definately not the greatest. Yes, we aren't Colorado and throwing crap at opposing fans, but we still take this whole thing way to seriously.

Unfortunately high school kid's are pricks, this is just bound to happen. Pretty sad...

HS kids are pricks. If it wasn't this, they'd be picking on them over something else....Take it as a lesson, parents. Teach your kids early in life...

i doubt the reaction would be any different, no matter where cally or coz was coaching. it is not right for the kids to hear it, but it would be no different anywhere else. i would think all fans of any program would be average in this regard.......Dave.

I wouldn't say we are the worst fans by any means, but I agree we are definately not the greatest. Yes, we aren't Colorado and throwing crap at opposing fans, but we still take this whole thing way to seriously.

Unfortunately high school kid's are pricks, this is just bound to happen. Pretty sad...

HS kids are pricks. If it wasn't this, they'd be picking on them over something else....Take it as a lesson, parents. Teach your kids early in life...

agree, this is about kids harassing other kids, not fans abusing the coaches kids.....as usual Coz is way off base here, has nothing to do with older fans of the game.

Unfortunately I think the kids are hearing these things at home. Parents need to be a good example!