Unnecessary Roughness

Just another reason why Nebraska fans aren't "the greatest fans in college football". They are pretty average IMO.

And this is yet another example of your inability to think with any kind of context. No offense, DaveH, but you're like a damn woman. Every time you hear one little bad thing about a fanbase which probably numbers in the hundreds of thousands if not millions, you act as though it is representative of the whole.

Funny. It's wrong to generalize about fans but Ok to generalize about women, or more specifically I guess about "damn woman." "... yet another example of ... inability to think with any kind of context."

Thank you Frisco, I was going to point that out, but then I would be a damn woman or something like that.

Ironic how some people can throw garbage on a field and because I wear a certain colored T-Shirt I am automatically typecast by the same people in this thread that refuse to be typecast for the actions of a minority of their fan base.

Cry me a river. I was on your side in that conversation right up until you refused to hold the students accountable for their actions. At no time did I ever typecast ALL Colorado fans. I directly stated that I believe that upwards of 95% of Colorado fans are fine people, and it's the minority that gives you a bad name. You choose to ignore that, but focus on anything that casts you in a negative light. I have no sympathy for that mindset.

Just another reason why Nebraska fans aren't "the greatest fans in college football". They are pretty average IMO.

And this is yet another example of your inability to think with any kind of context. No offense, DaveH, but you're like a damn woman. Every time you hear one little bad thing about a fanbase which probably numbers in the hundreds of thousands if not millions, you act as though it is representative of the whole. I know it's difficult, but please, for me, attempt this little exercise.

Take a piece of paper, and on the bottom left-hand corner draw a little box––two of your one-inch drawn lines will comprise two sides, and the edges of the paper will be the other two. Now, in that little box, write the following: "Offensive Minority Sect of Nebraska Football." Now, somewhere else on the page in the open white space, write "Majority of Fanbase."

This will serve you in life as a visual tool of the realities of Husker football, and perhaps even outside scenarios. For instance, simply because I hear of a gangland shooting in Chicago, I do not automatically assume that all Chicagoans are gangsters or that the character of Chicago in general is poor, or as you lackadaisically put it, "meh." Of course it could be that this is the case for Chicago, but a few gangland stories are not enough evidence to support my claim. In our case this is also true, seeing as Callahan himself is quoted as saying that most of their encounters are positive and respectful. Not to mention there is a great outrage about this from the majority of Husker fans, myself included, who are, as we all know, the classiest fans in the nation.

Now please, keep your nonsense to yourself.

X

Hey,

Listen up bud.

You wanna know what my point of posting that was? The fact that actions like the ones described in the article are those of a fan base that has a very normal distribution. A lot of really good people and some pricks. People like to say that NU fans are "the best". That means to me that there are actually a very small amount of pricks that RARELY show up. Now, my definition of rarely is.

A) Not badgering players on the bench AT THE DAMN GAME. Where the whole reason you are there is to support the team, not tear them down.

B) Not harassing coaches families. No matter what happens. That's f'ing Busch league and is NOT a trait of "the greatest fans in college football".

Those are just examples of the bullsh#t that NU fan's, if they were the "greatest in college football" wouldn't think about doing. Even the pricks. Because this sh#t shows up regularly when the team goes through rough times, tells me that like many, MANY other schools NU has a very normal distribution of fans.

That's why, to me, NU fan's are more like any other fan. A lot of good people, a fair amount of pricks. Sure they aren't awful like CU, but as a whole I don't think they are all they are cracked up to be.

Now, please, don't tell anyone to keep their nonsense to themselves. If you do, the board will force you to keep your nonsense to yourself.

Yes, because when you throw around words like "average" and "not the best" I can see how easy it is for everyone to realize what you're actually doing is taking issue with the presupposition that there are, indeed, better and worse fans. But what this burns down to is simple. You're right, it is Busch leage to heckle the players during the game and even worse to go after kids who are not in any way attached to the program. However these scarce instances:

1. Inspire the rage of people like myself and the vast majority of Husker fans.

2. Are not representative of the Husker fanbase, and therefore do not detract from the title that others have given us.

I agree with the guy above. According to your scale there are no teams in the nation that can match your criterion for 'best' or even 'good' fans. But when our fans routinely stand in applause for opposing teams who whip our asses, chant "Heisman" for an opposing player, and are generally as courteous and respectful as any group of people in the country, I think the title is well-deserved and something we should be proud of. Now it's okay if you want to cry about a few jackoffs at a high school game or a couple of drunken idiots who managed to afford good seats, but please, at least go about your miserable day with the knowledge that you are ultimately incorrect in trying to demean everyone else because of the actions of a pitiful minority.

And I assume by "the board" you mean you. I'd have to look it up but I'm pretty sure there's a 1984 correlation here somewhere.

X

And this is yet another example of your inability to think with any kind of context. No offense, DaveH, but you're like a damn woman. Every time you hear one little bad thing about a fanbase which probably numbers in the hundreds of thousands if not millions, you act as though it is representative of the whole.

Funny. It's wrong to generalize about fans but Ok to generalize about women, or more specifically I guess about "damn woman." "... yet another example of ... inability to think with any kind of context."

Thank you Frisco, I was going to point that out, but then I would be a damn woman or something like that.

Hey,

I just wanted to apologize in case I really offended you. What I was trying to say was that our wonderful Mod DaveH strikes me as a rather rash and emotional kind of chap who is quick to jump to conclusions not based on any kind of logic. Hence the male-brain/woman-heart stereotype referenced. Ultimately it appears we have a going after a fly with a bazooka kind of thing, and the language itself does come off pretty crass. I apologize if my reference was ill-recieved.

Have a good one.

Nebraska fans aren't the best in College Football (not the worst either). Just because you clap for the other team does not make you great. Don't give me the crap about it being a small group of people ripping into these families either. That small group sure was loud when they were booing Lord, Frost, Pud, this years team, McBride/TO, Solich, and the countless other people they have done it to. Or when the fools behind tell me to sit down right after kickoff and then started cheering when Grixby got hurt. Or the retard on Blondo St. in Omaha that has freaking Tombstones that say "R.I.P. Steve Pederson and R.I.P. Billy C." "Greatest Fans in College Football" is a self given tag which you if ask me is pretty lame.

It's sad to say but i have to agree 100%. It used to be that our fans wouldn't pull this crap, now we are like everyone else...I think that's the GREATEST downfall of this program...

From what I read it seems it is mostly students who are doing this, that does not make it right though. The parents of those kids need to get on them and let them know that kind of behavior is not tolerated. Of course it certainly doesn't help that we have some idiot fans talking trash to the Husker players and that example gets put on the news.

There is no doubt it is sad what is going on this year with the football team, but what saddens me even more is how some fans have dealt with it. As much as everyone talks about how Callahan's era has tarnished Husker tradition, those fans have tarnished Husker tradition far worse with their behavior then Callahan ever could. They have made it so Husker fans will be known as the best fans in the country (as long as they are winning).

And I assume by "the board" you mean you. I'd have to look it up but I'm pretty sure there's a 1984 correlation here somewhere.

X

No, I didn't mean me. There are other stakeholders besides me. That's all I meant. The board software itself is pretty limp without someone to run it. :lol:

I understand what you are saying and overall, I do agree. I just think that this rage Husker fans feel when they hear about this stuff isn't uncommon among most fan bases. So that, for me, yields the question "What does make Husker fans unique?" Sure, there is the applauding the other team but what else?

Husker fans are great fans. I never said they weren't.

I think it's important to remember that the term "greatest fans in college football" is something Lee Corso put on us years ago. It's not self-given. We were the same good fans through the 70s, 80s and 90s (from my personal observation) before Corso felt it was necessary to call us that.

There's no way to determine who's the best. And really, who cares? It's enough for most of us to know that we're well-regarded in the eyes of the greater college football world. We really couldn't care less if we're the "best" fans. All we need to be is good fans, polite fans, knowledgeable fans, and leave it at that.

The bottom line is this - Corso could have called us anything he wants. He could have called us "the worst fans in college football." Instead, he saw our unity, our knowledge of the game, how well we treat our opponents in our home stadium and how well we comport ourselves when we travel. Whether that makes us the "best" or the seventh-best fans, at the very least it means that we're doing something right.

Let's keep our focus on doing whatever it is that made the rest of college football regard us well, and do our best to drown out the people who give us a bad name.

In the end, that's the only thing we have control over.

I don't want to get someone here all mad, but there might be a slightly different way to look at this situation. If the head coach was really taking care of business as he is supposed to do, he would have fired Cosgrove a long time ago. That would have prevented a lot of this abuse. In a way, this coaching staff has dug in too deep and even though we agree that the abuse is wrong, they sorta brought it on themselves by not doing what needed to be done quite some time ago. <_<

X

No, I didn't mean me. There are other stakeholders besides me. That's all I meant. The board software itself is pretty limp without someone to run it. :lol:

I understand what you are saying and overall, I do agree. I just think that this rage Husker fans feel when they hear about this stuff isn't uncommon among most fan bases. So that, for me, yields the question "What does make Husker fans unique?" Sure, there is the applauding the other team but what else?

Here is an email I received from a LSU fan (now there is a ugly group!)

We had an argument that the about what we were expressing vs. what how the clapping was being received.

What do you think - are we making the other fans feel like we think we are better than them? And is this similar to are thinking we are "Footballs greatest fans?"

- For years, Nebraska fans have been lauded for the way they politely clap for the vanquished opposing team after home games. The shoe was on the other foot this week as Kansas fans clapped for the Nebraska as it walked off the field. Several Nebraska fans have commented on how condescending the nice gesture really feels to the other side.

I don't want to get someone here all mad, but there might be a slightly different way to look at this situation. If the head coach was really taking care of business as he is supposed to do, he would have fired Cosgrove a long time ago. That would have prevented a lot of this abuse. In a way, this coaching staff has dug in too deep and even though we agree that the abuse is wrong, they sorta brought it on themselves by not doing what needed to be done quite some time ago. <_<

True about Callahan, but I don't think your logic holds water when you think about the fact that TO'd kids had similar problems.

(I do remember the days of everyone hating TO for not being able to win the BIG one!)

X

IMO, there really isn't anything that separates NU fans from any other fans. We have bad apples just like every other team's fans do. The one thing that I can think of that separates us from other fans is the fact that in the state of Nebraska there really is nothing else for us. We are a state of small population but of huge fanbase because nearly every citizen of the state is a huge Husker fan. The best way to rally the entire state's population all centers around Husker football. This is what makes us unique is the fact that the fans make up the entire state. CU fans have the Broncos, Avalanche, Rockies etc. to bide their time. Texas fans have even more teams to bide their time. For the Nebraska citizens, everything comes to a halt in terms of something to cheer for once football season is over. IMO, this is what makes us unique. I don't think we're any better fans than anyone else.

The only similar comparison I can draw is maybe KU basketball or maybe even Kentucky basketball. However, I don't think they even draw the entire state's attention like the Husker football team draws our attention. Notre Dame football might come close. While they don't draw the entire state of Indiana's attention, they do draw a huge national fanbase's attention.

Agreed 100%