Players refute report Callahan asked to resign

Players refutes report Callahan asked to resign

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Nov 09, 2007 - 11:25:08 am CST

Two Nebraska players on Friday debunked a television report saying that Husker coach Bill Callahan told the Nebraska football team on Thursday that he had been asked to resign.

One player, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said Callahan told the players that “people in the state are expecting me to resign.”

According to the player, Callahan continued: “We have two more games, let’s just see what happens.”

Nebraska plays host to Kansas State on Saturday before its final regular-season game Nov. 16 at Colorado.

Citing two anonymous sources close to the football program, Omaha television station KMTV reported late Thursday night that Callahan told the team before Thursday’s practice that he was asked to resign, but refused.

On Friday morning, after speaking at the Big Red Breakfast in Omaha, Husker running backs Randy Jordan declined comment on the report. A second Nebraska player, reached Friday morning, said of the report: "I can tell you right now, that's not true."

Earlier in the week, Callahan was questioned on if he has been asked to resign. The coach was indirect in answering the question, referring reporters to “the higher-ups.”

Randy York, associate athletic director for communications, responded Monday by saying interim athletic director Tom Osborne has not asked for a resignation. York said Osborne was still evaluating the coaching staff and no decisions would come until after the season.

“Tom Osborne believes in keeping his word,” York said. “He’s a strong believer in integrity. He said what he’s going to do and he’s not going to deviate from that. When he says something, he means it.”

Then on Tuesday, Callahan showed up to his press conference and said this is not a coaching staff of quitters, “resignation is not in our vocabulary.”

The Huskers are 4-6 and coming off one of the more embarrassing losses in school history, a 76-39 defeat to Kansas.

It is an ugly situation.

My guess is that he was asked to resign, but not by Osborne.

I so wish T.O. had not backed himself in a corner and after the first game following T.O.'s return, he should have pulled the plug on the Callahan Era. At least we would have an idea of what's going on and the repairs to the program could be started.

It is an ugly situation.

I so wish T.O. had not backed himself in a corner and after the first game following T.O.'s return, he should have pulled the plug on the Callahan Era. At least we would have an idea of what's going on and the repairs to the program could be started.

Ok, I'll admit it, I asked him to resign, but when I told him all I could give him was a dollar, he respectfully declined.

It is an ugly situation.

if anyone asked Callahan to resign it would have been a booster, and not someone from the athletic depaertment.

I am sure that DR Tom has control of the situation and no one would undermine his athority like that

I don't know about you fine people, but I'm just about tired of all this speculation. It's giving me a headache. Can we just get this over with, please? This'll be the longest two weeks in history at the rate we're going.

X

I'm with you there. It's ridiculous.

It is an ugly situation.

TO is a smart man as I believe $ Byrne to be a smart man. Each said they'd wait until the end of the season to evaluate their football coaching staff. What do we really gain if we fire this staff right now? Some will have you believe that we can start a coaching search immediately. While this might be true, we still won't be able to name a new HC for a while if we're going after coaches who will coach in a bowl game and/or potential NC game. I would hope we're going after someone who will be coaching in a bowl game. If we go after a pro coach, I think we'll have to wait until their season is over. In the end, I think neither A&M or NU have anything to gain by firing their respective coaching staff right now.

One would have to believe that the wheels of motion started to roll once Pud was fired. I would be willing to bet there is a lot of things happening behind the scenes right now. Just because TO hasn't officially contacted anyone doesn't mean he isn't evaluating potential coaches right now. I'm sure he has a list of potential coaches. I'm sure he'll be contacting each one of them when the time is right for NU and when the time is right for where they are currently coaching.

Unlike Pud, TO I'm sure has already discussed some things with a "council". Barry Switzer was interviewed a few games back and stated that TO along with him and several other "veteran" coaches talk every week. I'm sure TO is feeling them all out on who they think are up and coming great coaches. Just like we had faith for decades in TO as HC, I think we all need to relax a bit and have faith in him selecting the new face of the Huskers. He will not make any rash decisions. He will evaluate and select the person he sees best fit for our program.

I know some of you do not like God references, but I'm going to steal a line from Turner Gill's email. TO didn't get elected Gov. because God had a different plans for him. Have faith. We will get this ship turned around. It might not be an easy coarse, but I know I feel a lot better about things this time around than I did four years ago.