What if TO screws up?

knapplc......you didn't answer my question.....if TO names a coach who is not successful, how will Husker Nation react......

I am comparing AD to AD.......

I don't need a reminder on what TO means to the Program....... TO walks on water to me, so I know were I am coming from......just want opinions on how will he be viewed if "his" coach is another Frank....then TO is 0-2.....

I think if TO screws up then he screws up. To be honest any coach is a gamble whether they have been a HC or not. We are all human, so is TO. We could bring in URban Meyer and he could turn out to be a horrible HC at Nebraska. I think whoever he chooses needs to have the attitude of wanting to be here and embrace our tradition's. If he does that then we'll be fine. :)

I'm fine w/whoever he decides to be HC except Billy C. Not to worry though Billy C will be gone. I figure as long as we are always competitive even in our losses then we'll be fine. However if the next coach does the exact same thing billy C does or worse then we'll be right back where we started from. However I don't see that happening. This is Nebraska. We have a man in the AD's office who knows and values our traditions. :)

I think the University and TO are smart enogh to know that to protect his legacy, they should let him fire BC and Cosgrove, if not others, hire Pelini, and then suggest who the next AD should be, and step down and let the University declare who it will be. That would take the pressure off him.

I have worried all along that if they let him stay too long in the AD position, the stress could kill him....he is not theat young, and looks more frail every year that passes by. I don't want to see this mess kill him, he deserves better from the University. I think they may already kind of know who the new AD will be also...and have a plan on when they will announce that too. This is just my speculation, as I don't have anyone that is on the Board of Regents, or anyone else in a position to know anything, in my ear. So take it what it's worth.

knapplc......you didn't answer my question.....if TO names a coach who is not successful, how will Husker Nation react......

I am comparing AD to AD.......

I don't need a reminder on what TO means to the Program....... TO walks on water to me, so I know were I am coming from......just want opinions on how will he be viewed if "his" coach is another Frank....then TO is 0-2.....

I think if TO screws up then he screws up. To be honest any coach is a gamble whether they have been a HC or not. We are all human, so is TO. We could bring in URban Meyer and he could turn out to be a horrible HC at Nebraska. I think whoever he chooses needs to have the attitude of wanting to be here and embrace our tradition's. If he does that then we'll be fine. :)

I'm fine w/whoever he decides to be HC except Billy C. Not to worry though Billy C will be gone. I figure as long as we are always competitive even in our losses then we'll be fine. However if the next coach does the exact same thing billy C does or worse then we'll be right back where we started from. However I don't see that happening. This is Nebraska. We have a man in the AD's office who knows and values our traditions. :)

I think BC's attitude toward the University, TO, and Nebraskan's in general, led to his quick dismissal this year...Nebraskan's would have had more patience if he wouldn't have copped the attitude that we were nothing more than corn fed hicks from the midwest that were too stupid to understand his great phylosophy on football, and maybe fired Cosgrove when the defense was obviously not working and had no idea how to even tackle someone. After some of his statements this year, I am convinced BC talked his way out of this job...the performance was bad...but the attitude that he has shown was totally unacceptable and would get anyone fired from their job. He forgot who he is working for... :asshat

I cant think of a better guy to try to fix this situation. can you? what if he fails? we try again. we gave it our best shot. we went with our big guns. If it fails try again. the only other option is to give up. its a very real possibility that we might fail again. thats life.

In Nebraska, TO was the only person that was respected enough to carry this one off without being second guessed. There are some others that are highly regarded...but I think they would have been second guessed at the first sign of trouble.

I again think we need to be reminded that there will not be a savior that will come in and all of the sudden things will be reversed 360 degrees overnight. This is not a garbage dump Div II team that can be transformed in a heartbeat. We all know that talent and progress is up across the board in all leagues. Just look at the AP polls and how many 2 loss teams are in the top 25. The playing field is leveling for everyone.

I have stated this before and will stand strong on this, but teams who execute and don't make mistakes will win 99 percent of the time. Sounds like a dumb statement a first grader could make but it's true. Heck, look at OSU's (Buckeyes) loss to Illinois. Their quarterback threw 3 interceptions and no TDs. That is a formula right there for a loss....and guess what, they gave the game away just like that. I posted last night about how Charlie Weis is dumbfounded as to why his team is not executing, and retaining things they are being taught. Same coaches and system from the last few years that has been very successful and competative....just different players now.

TO is gonna bring in a coach that has been talked about and thoughtfully considered. But folks at some point there has to be execution and retention by the players. A coach and sit and teach and motivate day after day but if players are out there missing assignments and not executing the plays and system, it will fail time and time again.

I again think we need to be reminded that there will not be a savior that will come in and all of the sudden things will be reversed 360 degrees overnight. This is not a garbage dump Div II team that can be transformed in a heartbeat. We all know that talent and progress is up across the board in all leagues. Just look at the AP polls and how many 2 loss teams are in the top 25. The playing field is leveling for everyone.

I have stated this before and will stand strong on this, but teams who execute and don't make mistakes will win 99 percent of the time. Sounds like a dumb statement a first grader could make but it's true. Heck, look at OSU's (Buckeyes) loss to Illinois. Their quarterback threw 3 interceptions and no TDs. That is a formula right there for a loss....and guess what, they gave the game away just like that. I posted last night about how Charlie Weis is dumbfounded as to why his team is not executing, and retaining things they are being taught. Same coaches and system from the last few years that has been very successful and competative....just different players now.

TO is gonna bring in a coach that has been talked about and thoughtfully considered. But folks at some point there has to be execution and retention by the players. A coach and sit and teach and motivate day after day but if players are out there missing assignments and not executing the plays and system, it will fail time and time again.

Amen, Brother!! At some point some of the blame needs to go to the players...look at the difference in the defensive play when they decided to "get up" for a game when we played K-State. I think that BC is has also been so endeared with certain players that he would not sit them when they didn't perform. He made a couple changes but I think more could be made if they won't act like they want to play. I guarentee you that you put a young kid in, he will play his heart out just for the opportunity....that is part of what is missing with this football team. The starters knew BC wouldn't make a move and replace them...maybe now they will look over their shoulder and see that there are kids out there that actually want to give 100 percent. :corndance

This is just something other than "coaching" speculation.....it is getting old.....so here it goes..

First, I love TO, named my son after him, and he is the reason I coach today.....now with that said, I am only putting this out here for debating sakes.....

What if TO brings in a guy (Pelini, Gill, ?) and during the next 2-4 seasons, the guy struggles to get Nu back on tract? Will everyone line up to lynch TO like they did Pud? If TO really believes in the new coach, will Husker Nation have the patience to give the man 4-6 years, even if we aren't going to bowls and losing to Big 12 rivals.....

I trust TO, and a change is needed, but my biggest fear as a life-long Husker is that NU is going to become a revolving door like Alabama...... Only if we could get lucky like OU did with Stoops....a guy who turned the program around and STAYED !!!!!

Just wondering if TO catches a break if he choses an unsuccessful coach?

We, on this board, have already developed a method for handling that contingency:

(1) Fire the athletic director.

(2) Fire the head coach.

(3) Repeat until obscurity engulfs the entire program.

It's funny you bring this up. The first AD fired from NU in my lifetime is none other than Pud. The first HC fired in my lifetime was Solich. It's kind of funny we fired the AD that fired the first coach in my lifetime. We fired the AD that fired the previous coach and hired this clown we have now. He fired a coach that won slightly more than 75% of his games and replaced him with a coach who I believe has won just 50 some percent of his games.

The way you speak, we have done this. However, we do not have a history at all of doing this. In my 32 years of life, we have fired just one AD and just one HC. Consequently, the AD that was fired was the one that fired the first HC in my 32 years. TO won't live enough years to ever be fired as AD of NU.

Ok think about this whoever TO hires he isnt just going to ride off into the sunset saying ok this is the coach I hired for you an this is the right AD for you now I am done I am going fishing.. TO is going to stick around for a bit to help the players and coachs out with whatever they need.. TO cares about Nebraska and wont let it fall on his watch, so I dont think TO will screw up, but if he does then like someone else posted you move on and deal with it till we find someone else.. I feel TO will hire someone that cares about the program as much as he does an BD did when he was alive.. We are in good hands with Dr Tom.. The fans and everyone else Love Tom and he has done alot or us, so if he messes up ohhh well life goes on.. I dont think Solich was a bad coach I think maybe had some issues but wasent given a chance to correct those problems!!!