Take it for what its worth

A friend of mine works at UPS with Dan Erickson's father. According to him Osborne contacted Barry Alvarez and offered him the job if he wanted it. Barry said he wasnt interested. The next guy contacted was Tommy Tuberville and he wasnt interested either.

Apparently Osborne wants a coach with head coaching experience, he prefers someone who has played for or won a national championship. Pelini isnt even in Osbornes thinking if you can believe it.

I hope this rumor isnt true, because I want Pelini.

I never thought Barry would return to be HC. More money, but he'd be giving up his empire at Wisconsin. Tuberville has stated he's not leaving Auburn and the rumblings I've heard, he's only using the A&M, NU, et al., job openings as leverage for another extension and raise (read: Rich Rodriguez last year).

BUT, I don't see how a players dad would know what Osborne is doing. I can't imagine Osborne talking to the players and saying "Hey, I'm canning your coach after this season and this is who I'm trying to hire". The Athletic Dept is going to be discreet about this IMO.

I never thought Barry would return to be HC. More money, but he'd be giving up his empire at Wisconsin. Tuberville has stated he's not leaving Auburn and the rumblings I've heard, he's only using the A&M, NU, et al., job openings as leverage for another extension and raise (read: Rich Rodriguez last year).

BUT, I don't see how a players dad would know what Osborne is doing. I can't imagine Osborne talking to the players and saying "Hey, I'm canning your coach after this season and this is who I'm trying to hire". The Athletic Dept is going to be discreet about this IMO.

Like so many other rumors -- I agree, no way the players know anything about the situation with regards to a new coach. No way it would be kept from being leaked. No way we even look at Pelini as the next head coach -- this was some guys pipe dream that he posted and it has become all the rage on the boards.

Of course, I reserve to be wrong on any of all of the above statements.

:yeah dead on

I could see TO talking to Barry Alvarez about current coaches and his thoughts on who would be a good replacement. No way no how would he be in serious talks about hiring Alvarez? The only conclusion would be that Barry misses game day and is dipping his toe in the water. I think we need to either name tom ad for x number of years or tom needs to get his guy in to give prospective new coaches and idea of who is going to be their "boss" along with 1.7 million of us. Word was nobody wanted to work for PUD

I could see TO talking to Barry Alvarez about current coaches and his thoughts on who would be a good replacement. No way no how would he be in serious talks about hiring Alvarez? The only conclusion would be that Barry misses game day and is dipping his toe in the water. I think we need to either name tom ad for x number of years or tom needs to get his guy in to give prospective new coaches and idea of who is going to be their "boss" along with 1.7 million of us. Word was nobody wanted to work for PUD

So many things to agree with here...

Yes, I believe TO would have talked to Alvarez to get his opinion, but certainly not to offer him the gig.

TO would be a great AD, and if he would consent to take the job he could have it for the rest of his life, IMO.

I also believe that Pederson was not making himself a very attractive boss, and that was one of the main reasons he had such trouble hiring Solich's replacement.

Apparently the Erickson family is very close with the Osbornes. I dont think the players know anything about the situation. My friend just said that Mr Erickson was talking to Osborne and he revealed some of these things.

I really dont believe that this is 100% true, as I didnt hear it from the source. However, I think Mr Erickson did know something and that this rumor is based on at least a resemblance of truth. I can see Osborne wanting a proven winner, since money doesnt sound like its a problem.

Apparently the Erickson family is very close with the Osbornes. I dont think the players know anything about the situation. My friend just said that Mr Erickson was talking to Osborne and he revealed some of these things.

I really dont believe that this is 100% true, as I didnt hear it from the source. However, I think Mr Erickson did know something and that this rumor is based on at least a resemblance of truth. I can see Osborne wanting a proven winner, since money doesnt sound like its a problem.

The only people I see Osborne talking to are a couple of his employee's that he trusts completely and Nancy. That's it. I don't see him telling anyone else anything. Especially a players family, even if they are good friends. I believe he probably talked to Alvarez also, for someone elses insight as to who, without dropping any names in the meantime.

There is no way T.O. is directly talking to anyone, someone posted an article about the secret ways this is done nowadays.... There has to be a buffer for us and the people we are talking to... T.O. would NOT tell anyone outside of a very small group of people anything about this... It just gets old hearing about it... I know everyone wants to hear something but take a step back and calm down.. I know if you throw enough darts sometime you will get a Bulls eye, but this is just another version of the Bo flew into Lincoln story....

With regard to Tuberville, think back to 03 or 04 I believe when Auburn went undefeated and IMO got shafted by not playing for the MNC.

From Alvarez' bio on UWBadgers.com

He was promoted (linebackers to defensive coordinator to assistant head coach) by Holtz each of his three seasons as the Fighting Irish went 32-5 and won the 1988 national title.

I think Alvarez would be a great HC at Nebraska but I don't think he wishes to return to coaching. Wisconsin losing Alvarez to another school would be akin to Nebraska losing Osborne to another school. Both are considered icon's at their respective schools.

There is no way T.O. is directly talking to anyone, someone posted an article about the secret ways this is done nowadays.... There has to be a buffer for us and the people we are talking to... T.O. would NOT tell anyone outside of a very small group of people anything about this... It just gets old hearing about it... I know everyone wants to hear something but take a step back and calm down.. I know if you throw enough darts sometime you will get a Bulls eye, but this is just another version of the Bo flew into Lincoln story....

Chill out dude. This is the 'Rumorville' section of the board. If you don't want to hear about it, don't come to this section.