I don't get the love for Pelini and Gill

I know this is going to cause an atomic bomb, but the whole thing about Dr. Tom picking the next coach made me think of a book I read once called "What they don't teach you at Harvard Business School."

One of the principles of the book, if I remember correctly, is "never let a superstar pick his successor." Why? Because the superstar, no matter how hard he tries, will inevitably select someone that won't shine as bright. It's not a conscious thing at all - it's a subconcious thing that comes from deep within the human ego.

Now let me say that there is no coach that I admire more than Tom Osborne. He has integrity through and through.

But if you look at history, violating this principle often comes with a price. The most glaring recent example has been Jack Welch, the ex-CEO at General Electric, who hand-picked his successor, and it hasn't gone well. There are a 100 other examples, Solich included. I have seen this happen time after time throughout my career.

I know this is going to cause an atomic bomb, but the whole thing about Dr. Tom picking the next coach made me think of a book I read once called "What they don't teach you at Harvard Business School."

One of the principles of the book, if I remember correctly, is "never let a superstar pick his successor." Why? Because the superstar, no matter how hard he tries, will inevitably select someone that won't shine as bright. It's not a conscious thing at all - it's a subconcious thing that comes from deep within the human ego.

Now let me say that there is no coach that I admire more than Tom Osborne. He has integrity through and through.

But if you look at history, violating this principle often comes with a price. The most glaring recent example has been Jack Welch, the ex-CEO at General Electric, who hand-picked his successor, and it hasn't gone well. There are a 100 other examples, Solich included. I have seen this happen time after time throughout my career.

theres also a rule in sports.... dont run your team like a business. I dont think that rule applies in sports. see bob devaney.

1. Bill Callahan's head coaching record was highly questionable.

2. Turner Gill understands "what Nebraska football means". What the hell does that mean?

3. There are tons of great HCs that were once assistants. So? There are a lot of other crappy HCs that were once great assistants - why would I take the gamble when I don't have to?

If it's a proven college HC with an impressive resume, I'm not putting either Pelini or Gill in his class just because we are so arrogant to think we have some "special ways" in Nebraska that these guys might understand. That's just a bunch of sentimental b.s.

If you can hire a proven winner, do so. Let the KSUs of the world take chances. If it works out for 'em, great.

So are the "proven coaches" of the world they guys who can get hot and win a few games at Cincinnati or UConn in the Big Least or Wake Forest in the anemic football conference that is the ACC? The only guy who impresses me that is being thrown out as a "proven coach" is Paul Johnson, as anyone that can take the mediocre talent at Navy and get that many wins is a decent coach. So unless we woo a coach who's already at a big time school (unlikely, given the decline of Husker football and the difficulty recruiting kids to Nebraska), I would say that Gill, or even Pelini who I'm not a fan of, are both better choices than guys who caught lightning in a bottle at basketball schools. (Again, Paul Johnson excluded, as I'm very impressed with his work.)

I have to agree of the proven coaches mentioned Paul Johnson has the best resume. You are right that other's at big name school's like Meyer,Saban,Carroll, B Stoops,Mac Brown, Richt,Tubberville, etc, will not come to Nebraska. So trying to land a big name coach is out of the question. Besides If you don't understand Nebraska History and Tradition which we fans rest our laurels on, then we'll end up getting another Billy C. :( We can ill afford that.

However all this being said, I'm a big fan of both Pelini or Gill. Muschamp not far behind. I'd be willing to take a chance on anyone of those 3 as opposed to anyone else. :)

The other aspect that I think Husker fans are missing is this: Nebraska Football is the biggest business in this state. There are no pro teams to separate loyalties. Which means all our blood, sweet, tears, and money goes into Husker football. Whether that's Fb tickets, books, Shirts, memorbilia, travelling to see the Husker's play, purchasing PPV, etc. Husker FBall is big business. With all this in mind the HC of Nebraska has to know it,love it,live it, and die by it. If not, such as in Billy C's case you end up failing. Nebraska is very unique in this way. That's why they say "There is no place like Nebraska.: :)

Turner Gill has won 6 games in two years at Buffalo. 6. Out of 21.

I can't believe we are even discussing him. This is retarded. Why not just keep Billy C?

Uuummm yeah....Buffalo won a whopping 10 games the previous 10 years b4 Gill got there. The fact he's won 6 in 2 year's...pretty damn amazing if you ask me. I'd say you just debunked your own argument. :)