I don't get the love for Pelini and Gill

1. Bill Callahan's head coaching record was highly questionable.

2. Turner Gill understands "what Nebraska football means". What the hell does that mean? How many "W"s is that going to be good for? You think Charlie Weiss understands "what ND football means"? How's that working out for ol' Charlie?

3. There are tons of great HCs that were once assistants. So? There are a lot of other crappy HCs that were once great assistants - why would I take the gamble when I don't have to?

If it's a proven college HC with an impressive resume, I'm not putting either Pelini or Gill in his class just because we are so arrogant to think we have some "special ways" in Nebraska that these guys might understand. That's just a bunch of sentimental b.s.

If you can hire a proven winner, do so. Let the KSUs of the world take chances. If it works out for 'em, great.

WE DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THESE STUPID CHANCES. WE'RE NEBRASKA.

If we do land a HC that has a lot of success at being a HC, first we have to ask a few questions: 1) why did you come here? If they are successful at their current job and have done great things, then why would they leave the team that they built. 2) If they have success at building teams, how long will they stay at Nebraska? Job hoppers seldom seem to ever stay in one place even though they do great things. The best example of this would be Nick Saban. He had everything in the palm of his hand at LSU, but he left anyway. I'm willing to bet that he eventually leaves Alabama.

If Turner Gill is hired, there's really only 2 things that will happen. 1) he'll retire when he sees fit after coaching NU 2) he'll be fired. Gill won't go anywhere if he's named HC unless he's made to by the administration.

If Pelini is hired, I have no idea whether or not he'll stay. One could argue that he'd go to the NFL, but I don't believe he's an NFL type. I could see him eventually going back to Ohio State before jetting to the NFL.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to this: no matter who we hire, it will be a gamble. If we go after a proven HC, the gamble is whether or not he'll stay. Go ask A&M about hiring the proven HC. It doesn't always work. If we hire a coordinator, it will be a gamble. We might get lucky and get the next Bob Stoops, or we might not get lucky and get the next Mike Stoops. No matter which direction we go, it will be a gamble. Even if TO decides to keep Clownahan, it will be a big gamble.

Turner Gill has won 6 games in two years at Buffalo. 6. Out of 21.

I can't believe we are even discussing him. This is retarded. Why not just keep Billy C?

In the 4 seasons before he got there, Buffalo won 5 games. Gill has two games left (one pretty easy, one a toss-up), and if he wins those both, he'll match the total number of wins in 2 seasons as Buffalo had 5 seasons before him combined.

In the 4 seasons before he got there, Buffalo won 5 games. Gill has two games left (one pretty easy, one a toss-up), and if he wins those both, he'll match the total number of wins in 2 seasons as Buffalo had 5 seasons before him combined.

OK so they don't suck as bad as they used to. But they still suck.

Isn't the point here to get our fortunes turned around so that we might have a shot at a NC every now and then? Hell if we're going to suck let's just keep who we have got. At least he's proven at SUCKING.

OK so they don't suck as bad as they used to. But they still suck.

Things don't change completely in two years, it takes time.

There are PLENTY of proven HCs out there with a LONG HISTORY of producing winners, Brian Kelly and Paul Johnson being two of them.

Those guys are two GOOD reasons not to hire Pelini. Great coordinator, zero head coaching resume. Think I'll pass.

So coaching here after Solich was fired does not count?

And how many of those "proven" coaches with "long histories" are going to be willing to come to NU and at what cost? :sarcasm

:box

Turner Gill has won 6 games in two years at Buffalo. 6. Out of 21.

I can't believe we are even discussing him. This is retarded. Why not just keep Billy C?

And how many games had the team won in the two years prior to Turner arriving? If I am not mistaken, his current wins are a great improvement for Buffalo.

:box:nutz:nutz

People are just voicing their opinion as to who "looks" best from their vantage point. The great thing about the hire is that a guy who has been in the new coaches shoes will make the decision. He is going to assess their ability not only from their W-L record but by asking their philosophy on the things TO sees as critical to their success at NU. If he picks BO it will not be because of a Bogasm or if Gill not because he won a few at Buffalo or coached here. He may not only not pick one of the two, he may not even seriously consider either one. He will pick the guy most suited for the job as he sees it.

What was the ? again?

[And how many games had the team won in the two years prior to Turner arriving? If I am not mistaken, his current wins are a great improvement for Buffalo.

:box:nutz:nutz

So we're going to hire a guy to guide this program that's won 6 games over 2 years? Is that the very best we can do? We fired a .750 coach, but we're willing to HIRE a guy that's below .300?