I don't get the love for Pelini and Gill

And how many of those "proven" coaches with "long histories" are going to be willing to come to NU and at what cost? :sarcasm

:box

Well, me thinks if Brian Kelly will go to Cincy, he'll come to NU. Me thinks if Johnson will go to Navy, he'll come to NU.

Sorry, but I think NU is at least CLOSE to the same class as Cincy and Navy, but I'm probably a homer.

The thing that some people forget is that tht dunce that hired and fired the last coaches was recomended and endorsed by the guy that is doing the hiring and firing this time. Coach Osborne hired and endorsed Steve Pederson for recruiting coord and recommended him for AD.

I love him, but I don't know that I put the faith that some have in his ability to get it right this time either.

Hopefully he will, but I still would not be surprised to see BC here next year either.

The thing that some people forget is that tht dunce that hired and fired the last coaches was recomended and endorsed by the guy that is doing the hiring and firing this time. Coach Osborne hired and endorsed Steve Pederson for recruiting coord and recommended him for AD.

I love him, but I don't know that I put the faith that some have in his ability to get it right this time either.

Hopefully he will, but I still would not be surprised to see BC here next year either.

the thing about him supporting peterson..... to readily admits that he doesnt understand everything about being and AD. nor do I think he did a lot of research on peterson before hiring him. he was asked about peterson job under him, and osborne said he did a good job.

but with the coaching situation osborne is dealing with something he knows an incredible amount about(coaching) and he is going to be completely invested in the search process, not just giving a reference.

does that mean he will get the right guy? NO!!! he's human, he can make a mistake, hes human.

but I can promise you this. There is not a person alive that understands what it takes to be a successful coach, especially at Nebraska,more then Tom Osborne. we are putting are best guy on the job.

We all need to beilieve that I understand.

But his track record has not been unblemished either way you look at it.

Some on here hate Pederson, most do, some still hate Solich, most did.

He hired Pederson to be his recruiting coord. Personally I think he did a good job at that. I am not certain we know the whole reason Pederson was fired. I really do not beileve it is just the football record.

I agree he is the man that most would want doing the job. But whether he is the most qualified or not is the question. There is no special secret to being successful at Nebraska. It has nothing to do with our history. It is can we bring in the kids that want to play for Nebraska. You don't have to be from here to understand what is needed. You do not have to be an ex player or coach. You have to want to win and amass a good staff.

I will not limit the possiblities to only a select few.

I know Coach Osborne will do the best job he can. I just hope down the road 5-6 years from now we are not talking about a truly great man like we have Solich, Pederson and Callahan.

We are an unrelistic group overall. He has taken a job that could destroy his legendary status. I hope and pray he does what is best for Nebraska. He is giving far more to this fan base than most even come close to realizing.

We all need to beilieve that I understand.

But his track record has not been unblemished either way you look at it.

Some on here hate Pederson, most do, some still hate Solich, most did.

He hired Pederson to be his recruiting coord. Personally I think he did a good job at that. I am not certain we know the whole reason Pederson was fired. I really do not beileve it is just the football record.

I agree he is the man that most would want doing the job. But whether he is the most qualified or not is the question. There is no special secret to being successful at Nebraska. It has nothing to do with our history. It is can we bring in the kids that want to play for Nebraska. You don't have to be from here to understand what is needed. You do not have to be an ex player or coach. You have to want to win and amass a good staff.

I will not limit the possiblities to only a select few.

I know Coach Osborne will do the best job he can. I just hope down the road 5-6 years from now we are not talking about a truly great man like we have Solich, Pederson and Callahan.

We are an unrelistic group overall. He has taken a job that could destroy his legendary status. I hope and pray he does what is best for Nebraska. He is giving far more to this fan base than most even come close to realizing.

I dont know about it being a "secret" but it is not nearly as simple as you make it out to be. 99.9% of fans have no idea what it takes to be a successful d1 coach, more or less at NU. they have no clue what all goes into it. they think because they watch the games every week and read the sportspage every morning the understand. its not that simple. there is a reason they pay these coaches so much. because its hard job that take a special person. unless you,ve been around it and have seen how it works you dont know. TO does know. he did it for so long. he has seen how other people have done it. he knows what Qualities a coach needs better than someone else would.

Pud had a good resume. It's very understandable why TO recommended or indorsed or however you want to put it. Pud's biggest screw up was the Solich firing debacle and the coaching search then hiring debacle. If Solich was fired for off field activities, Pud should have forced him to resign. If he was in fact fired for his accomplishments on the field, well Pud screwed the pooch once again. Pud had some management problems. Instead of cowboying off on his own, he should have selected a committee to help him find a coach. He should have had a plan. There is/was absolutely nothing wrong with his resume and the accomplishments he had prior to the Solich mess.

I have been involved with coaching for over 20 years. Never with football, but with Olympic/World level athletes. I feel I know what it takes to be successful in the coaching world, whether it be football or others.

Nebraska is no different than anyplace else. Wyoming seemed to be a good bed to start with.

I just simply state it takes no Nebraska ties to be a good coach at Nebraska. We seem to be all tied up in that. I agree Tom does know what it takes, but will he be able to get it. He knew that Pederson was a good hire, but we know how that hss turned out. He felt Solich was a good hire, and we know how that turned out.

Just because Tom is running the show does not mean it will be what all are looking for. Is he the best choice, sometimes being so close to something clouds your judgement. I am not saying that is the situation. I just think we are putting a lot on an old mans shoulders. I would have prefereed some one else to do it. Not because I don't thinke he can, I just would rather not have him have the chance to fail. We all know how quickly things change around here.

I have been involved with coaching for over 20 years. Never with football, but with Olympic/World level athletes. I feel I know what it takes to be successful in the coaching world, whether it be football or others.

Nebraska is no different than anyplace else. Wyoming seemed to be a good bed to start with.

I just simply state it takes no Nebraska ties to be a good coach at Nebraska. We seem to be all tied up in that. I agree Tom does know what it takes, but will he be able to get it. He knew that Pederson was a good hire, but we know how that hss turned out. He felt Solich was a good hire, and we know how that turned out.

Just because Tom is running the show does not mean it will be what all are looking for. Is he the best choice, sometimes being so close to something clouds your judgement. I am not saying that is the situation. I just think we are putting a lot on an old mans shoulders. I would have prefereed some one else to do it. Not because I don't thinke he can, I just would rather not have him have the chance to fail. We all know how quickly things change around here.

I never said that you had to have nebraska ties.... but to say that Nebraska is just like any other coaching job is wrong. location, population base, weather.... there are so many things that make NU different

Do you think Pete Carrol could do the job?

What about Rodriquez. Maybe Meyer?

Stoops.

Miles.

If they can coach and recruit, they can coach at Nebraska. Nebraska is no specail place that it takes only a certain mixture. The question is can you get a good coach that wants to coach at Nebraska, due to the things you mentioned. Not to mention, the unrealistic desires and the death threats.

Who ever takes this job, will be a chance. We will not get a top end successful coach to come here. It will be someone that none are really looking for at this time.

An unproven, shot in the dark. No matter who is doing the selecting, is my guess.

He'll probably just keep Callahan. He's already tapped Sally Field as one of the new defensive coaches according to that other thread. It's going to be a pretty exciting year. The Bandit will drop her off in his black Trans Am before every game and then speed off with Sheriff Buford T. Justice in hot pursuit.

Stoops.

Miles.

If they can coach and recruit, they can coach at Nebraska. Nebraska is no specail place that it takes only a certain mixture. The question is can you get a good coach that wants to coach at Nebraska, due to the things you mentioned. Not to mention, the unrealistic desires and the death threats.

Who ever takes this job, will be a chance. We will not get a top end successful coach to come here. It will be someone that none are really looking for at this time.

An unproven, shot in the dark. No matter who is doing the selecting, is my guess.

Pete Carrol: I don't know. He has a lot of talent now, but they seem to fall off. It appears to me that he has to have a "great" QB in order to run the table. I've never been a Booty fan. He might get it done here.

Rodriguez: You bet. He rarely has a top 25 recruiting class, but all he does is win.

Meyer: The jury is still out on him. However, I will say that no matter what coaching job he takes he makes them winners. I think he could get the job done here.

My best guess is that it would take a Bob Stoops to make things work here. He takes the talent that he has and makes a team from it. Look at last year. They make a BCS bowl despite losing their #1 QB. They take a WR and make him QB. Stoops plays to the strengths of his personell. I think it will take a coach like Bill Snyder to make things work here. Snyder wasn't really liked by most, but he worked his a$$ off. While Spurrier and the kind were putting in 8 hour days, he was busting his butt putting in 15-18 hour days. He mentored Stoops. He played to the strengths of his team. When he had a slower not so mobile QB like Mays (sp), he threw the rock. When he had mobile QB's like Bishop, he ran kind of a spread. We need a coach to come in here that will play to the strengths of the team. Fortunately for us, we have a drop back passer QB and 2 mobile spread type QBs. People from Nebraska have always been known for their work ethic. We will need a coach who has excellent work ethic to lead us back to the promised land. TO gave his hear and soul to this program. I hope he finds someone who will do the same. We don't need some huge name to come in here. We need a blue collar coach to right the ship!

I pretty much agree with that. I think Snyder did more with less than any coach I have followed. He may not have been a Nebraska fan favorite but he did his job. Mangino reminds me of the same type of person.

But I still feel who ever it is it will be a shot in the dark. I really do not think any of the above mentioned are going to be the one. Stoops inherited his talent from Blake, and yes he has done some things, but he really has not come close to what he did with someone else's talent.

I like BC, but I see his flaws. I hope BC sees his strengths and they can work together to overcome his short falls. I just hate to see us change coaches again. Not that I really care if it is BC or not. Just don't want the revolving door policy furthered. But I think the writing is on the wall. I can handle anyone but Pelini. I have a tremedous dislike for the man, and it has not gone away since he left.

Gill could be the guy, but I think it would keep Tom here longer than he wants to be. We need an established head coach, someone that has the ability and time in the field,just not the talent to turn the corner. Patt Hill at Fresno State is someone who I have always liked, but I don't think he would ever leave. I can just imagine what he could do with National talent.

Stoops.

Miles.

sure those guys would win here. would they win as easy or as much? thats a big no for a lot of them. and keep in mind you just named the top coaches in the country. they are not your run of the mill coach. that is what we need to get back to were we were. someone special.

In the 4 seasons before he got there, Buffalo won 5 games. Gill has two games left (one pretty easy, one a toss-up), and if he wins those both, he'll match the total number of wins in 2 seasons as Buffalo had 5 seasons before him combined.

OK so they don't suck as bad as they used to. But they still suck.

Isn't the point here to get our fortunes turned around so that we might have a shot at a NC every now and then? Hell if we're going to suck let's just keep who we have got. At least he's proven at SUCKING.

A program can't go from 2 wins one year to 7 wins the next without an NCAA investigation.