The Big 12 done us wrong

T_O_Bull

I wouldn't hate the big 12 half as much if they hadn't screwed with our tradition. Sorry CU people, no offense meant but your Buffs ARE NOT and NEVER WILL BE Nebraska's traditional rival. That honor goes to Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. Just check Hhistory. It's self explanatory.

Honestly, I don't think most Buffs fans give two poopies whether Nebraska views us as their "traditional rival". For the past 20 years, the NU/CU game has had significant implications more often than it hasn't, and both fanbases dislike eachother a great deal, so I think it's pretty safe to say that it's a rivalry game. Whether you view it as your "true" rivalry game, or however else you want to phrase it, is a fairly moot point. There's a rivalry between the two schools, it's a rivalry game.

Rivalry games are also fun. You might want to try enjoying it instead of throwing a fit over it.

Husker fans don't hate the Buffs because they're a great challenge, but because of the reputation of their fans, i.e., having to empty the student section during games, etc.

Hey Dr. Fairandbalanced, so should CU hate Nebraska because of the reputation of their fans, i.e. calling in murder threats on their defensive coordinator, etc.?

Ok, let's explain, your student section got cleaned out because they were throwing things at the opponent.

Our DC got a death threat from someone, maybe have been a Husker fan may not have been, we will have to wait and find. So, unless it was a CU person making the call, I don't see how you should hate us for attacking our own DC, NOT THE OPPONENTS DC, and if it was a CU person making the call well then that just gives us more of an excuse.

Yes your point is valid ;)

Yea, not playing Oklahoma every year sucks. What gets me worse is that the CU NU "rivalry" was largely made up IMO. How can you say "OK, you and you are going to be rivals now.". WTF is that about?

The way I remember how it came about was that Nebraska tried to get it where you could establish one team as a rival and play them every year. Nebraska tried to get Oklahoma every year but the Oklahoma AD vetoed that since they would already have to play Texas every year, and then having to add Nebraska the top team of the North at the time, would make winning the conference harder. I could see their point but would still like to see both teams playing at the end of the year. I was surprised that they actually let Nebraska keep the day after thanksgiving spot.

By the way when did Kansas and Missouri ever become Nebraska rivals?

I wouldn't hate the big 12 half as much if they hadn't screwed with our tradition. Sorry CU people, no offense meant but your Buffs ARE NOT and NEVER WILL BE Nebraska's traditional rival. That honor goes to Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. Just check Hhistory. It's self explanatory.

Honestly, I don't think most Buffs fans give two poopies whether Nebraska views us as their "traditional rival". For the past 20 years, the NU/CU game has had significant implications more often than it hasn't, and both fanbases dislike eachother a great deal, so I think it's pretty safe to say that it's a rivalry game. Whether you view it as your "true" rivalry game, or however else you want to phrase it, is a fairly moot point. There's a rivalry between the two schools, it's a rivalry game.

Rivalry games are also fun. You might want to try enjoying it instead of throwing a fit over it.

A rivalry. Minor and simply because it's a conference game. No bigger a 'rivalry' to me than Iowa State or Baylor. Frankly the CU 'rivalry' is so new in the grand scheme of things that I barely care about it at all.

Look, a rivalry is created on the field over time. Not in some coaches office or a TV networks marketing meeting. Like it or not that's the way it is. NU and CU haven't traded wins and ended each other's season for that long.. frankly until around 1990 CU wouldn't ever have been on the NC or conference title radar. They'd have a couple of good seasons then a couple a bad seasons. In other words, a typical CF team.

NU and OU spared over national title runs for a long time. That rivalry bred a lot of respect for each other as well.. not the contempt of NU-CU. And NU-OU has held significance to a lot of us for a hell of a lot longer than 20 years.

This is the difference between us I guess. That history doesn't seem to matter to you. It does to me. IF that sounds like a fit you.. well, I guess there isn't anything else to say about it.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Where has the season gone? The last regular season game is upon us and a mere 7 days from now the season will be over. What this brings into my mind every year is that the Big 12 has robbed us of our season ending rivalry game with Oklahoma. Now every year we are stuck with playing Colorado and the auora of this game pales in comparrison to the games played by the Huskers and the Sooners. I got home from Viet Nam shortly before "the Game of the Century." (The last century.) I was completely captivated by that magnificent game and have been a Husker fan ever since. I struggled through the years when it seemed we just couldn't find a way to beat them. Went from sky high to basement low the year we finally beat them, then lost and had to face Oklahoma again in the Orange bowl. I even missed them being good when Switzer left and they fell on hard times -- its just more fun to beat them when they are good. Then came the demise of the South-west Conference, the formation of the Big 12 and the news that we wouldn't play Okla. every year and that the game when played would no longer be the last game of the year. I've still got TG left-overs. I've still got Bloody Mary's, scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast. I've still got ice cold beer for the game. I just don't have an opponent I can hate and respect at the same time. (You hate them so bad because they play so good.) What I get every year is Colorado, the team that had to use strippers and hookers to lure players to sign with them. I'm sorry Big 12, but we got short changed in this deal and that STINKS! ...STINKS!

...T_O_B

Sorry, but the problem was that the only school that could give you guys a game in the '90s was Colorado. OU sucked when they formed the Big 12 so when the conference had the chance to get an almost guranteed National TV game the four most competitive schools at the time were NU, CU, UT, and Texas A&M. So there are your games, if it is a huge problem you could always leave the Big 12 and then schedule a non-con game every year with OU :)

The problem is that 4 Texas schools wanted into the conference with all the television revenues they could bring, When they did they demanded the Big 8 the SWC rules on a lot of stuff and 7 other Big 8 schools, sick of losing to NU all the time caved to them over Nebraska's objection.

The new conference totally threw out our annual rivalry game basically to kiss ass to the texas schools. NU-OU used to be as important as Ohio State and Michigan, USC and Notre Dame or Army-Navy. The fact that OU was in a down cycle and CU was up in the 90s is completely irrelevant. McCartney manufactured a rivalry where there was none because CU didn't have a rivalry game of that magnitude and the Big 12 stuck it in on us as a convenience just to shut us up. And I'll never shut up about it.

NU-OU on Thanksgiving Day. It Must be brought back. Send the Texas Schools back to their own conference if they can't accept it. Death to the Big 12!

You comments do not offend me at all, mainly because you are now in a huge minority. The evidence is a certain poll right here on this site conducted a couple of weeks ago about if the Huskers could beat anyone with their remaining schedule who would you want them to beat, I would venture to say at least 85% in favor of kicking our asses and then shoving our noses in it....lol I am not sure what "rivalry" means, but if a game brings out that kind of emotion in folks then I guess I might nominate it for a "rivalry" game. I am sure you grew up with the whole OU/NU thing and it was a hell of a series but it isn't there anymore and next season when you guys do get to play each other you will be facing a coach who doesn't give a rat's arse unless he is playing Texas and who the hell knows who your coach will even be, if it is still Cally, well, the first OU/NU game he probably ever saw was last year's Big 12 title game. Times have changed my friend, times have changed.

If you knew anything at all you would know that poll results are based on the formation of the question asked. This is why the political polls always favor the camp that is paying for the poll.

...T_O_B

Where has the season gone? The last regular season game is upon us and a mere 7 days from now the season will be over. What this brings into my mind every year is that the Big 12 has robbed us of our season ending rivalry game with Oklahoma. Now every year we are stuck with playing Colorado and the auora of this game pales in comparrison to the games played by the Huskers and the Sooners. I got home from Viet Nam shortly before "the Game of the Century." (The last century.) I was completely captivated by that magnificent game and have been a Husker fan ever since. I struggled through the years when it seemed we just couldn't find a way to beat them. Went from sky high to basement low the year we finally beat them, then lost and had to face Oklahoma again in the Orange bowl. I even missed them being good when Switzer left and they fell on hard times -- its just more fun to beat them when they are good. Then came the demise of the South-west Conference, the formation of the Big 12 and the news that we wouldn't play Okla. every year and that the game when played would no longer be the last game of the year. I've still got TG left-overs. I've still got Bloody Mary's, scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast. I've still got ice cold beer for the game. I just don't have an opponent I can hate and respect at the same time. (You hate them so bad because they play so good.) What I get every year is Colorado, the team that had to use strippers and hookers to lure players to sign with them. I'm sorry Big 12, but we got short changed in this deal and that STINKS! ...STINKS!

...T_O_B

Sorry, but the problem was that the only school that could give you guys a game in the '90s was Colorado. OU sucked when they formed the Big 12 so when the conference had the chance to get an almost guranteed National TV game the four most competitive schools at the time were NU, CU, UT, and Texas A&M. So there are your games, if it is a huge problem you could always leave the Big 12 and then schedule a non-con game every year with OU :)

You flatter yourself too much.

The UNL vr OU game was always a big time ratings score for the networks. Same for OSU vr MU, UA vr AU and UND vr USC. these games don't need to be sold fans want to see them. Nebraska vgr Colorado lacks one main component, who really gives a s..t about Colorado?

...T_O_B

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

The OU/NU rivalry was great...almost like playing in the Olympics of football. When you have to have CU as your rival it's more like playing in the Special Olympics of football....

Yeesh, if that's really the case I'd hate to know how the Hawkeyes faithful feel every September...

The same way you guys felt in November....defeated.

I think "cheated" would be a bit more appropriate for both fan bases.

Husker fans don't hate the Buffs because they're a great challenge, but because of the reputation of their fans, i.e., having to empty the student section during games, etc.

Hey Dr. Fairandbalanced, so should CU hate Nebraska because of the reputation of their fans, i.e. calling in murder threats on their defensive coordinator, etc.?

Ok, let's explain, your student section got cleaned out because they were throwing things at the opponent.

Our DC got a death threat from someone, maybe have been a Husker fan may not have been, we will have to wait and find. So, unless it was a CU person making the call, I don't see how you should hate us for attacking our own DC, NOT THE OPPONENTS DC, and if it was a CU person making the call well then that just gives us more of an excuse.

"Sal is dead, go big red." EDITED BY MODS. Cut it out or be banned.

"Sal is dead, go big red." EDITED BY MODS. Cut it out or be banned.

I thought we were all adults here. Is swearing not accepted in classy Lincoln? I guess making fun of dead athletes is... PEACE.

Yea, not playing Oklahoma every year sucks. What gets me worse is that the CU NU "rivalry" was largely made up IMO. How can you say "OK, you and you are going to be rivals now.". WTF is that about?

McCartney decided that because Colo and Neb were neighboring states that the games between the 2 schools should take on a whole new meaning and that winning the Nebraska game was the most important thing in any season for the CU team.

When TO was asked about this he said , "Its just another game to us. If he wants it to be a rivalry that's his business."

Thus was born the "we hate the Huskers and their fans" attitude of the CU fans. I dislike the actions of some mis-guided Buff fans but I don't hate them because they are and always have been irrelevant to me. More often than not we play them, give them their yearly whuppin', and move on to the next game.

The Love/Hate relationship we share with the Sooners and their fans has grown out of years and years of classic games. Both sides Love the Game, the Competition, the Battle between two traditional rivals that Hate to lose to each other.

I have corresponded via e-mail with a couple Sooner fans for a long time now and we all agree that we "Hate the other guy so bad because he plays so good."

...T_O_B

Its always fun kickin' your butts. We always enjoy it, some years more than others. Threw a fit once about 55 years ago and Mom paddled my rear end and cured me of that type of behavior. Now if you go to the game this year leave your spray paint and keys at home and don"t mess with any cars with Neb licence plates.

...T_O_B