The Big 12 done us wrong

T_O_Bull

I live in OKC - moved here from Nebraska 4 years ago. I wear the gear every day and have had dozens of conversations with Oklahomans who pine for the Thanksgiving NU/OU rivalry. They HATE texas teams, they MISS the NU rivalry. Even though I sometimes get bad service because of my hat, I get a lot more great conversations a almost often hear how wonderful NU fans are and how much they respect our program. I hope we don't blow that with our recent bad behavior.

B

What I get every year is Colorado, the team that had to use strippers and hookers to lure players to sign with them.

You stay classy, Lincoln! :thumbs

(not to mention factual...)

lol....strippers and hookers...maybe we could increase the fan base if we had them at all the home games...naw, no room for the fans we already have. :lol:

Who needs strippers and hookers when we have FREE MOTORBOATS FOR EVERYONE!!!!

What I get every year is Colorado, the team that had to use strippers and hookers to lure players to sign with them.

You stay classy, Lincoln! :thumbs

(not to mention factual...)

lol....strippers and hookers...maybe we could increase the fan base if we had them at all the home games...naw, no room for the fans we already have. :lol:

Who needs strippers and hookers when we have FREE MOTORBOATS FOR EVERYONE!!!!

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

What goods a motorboat without a lake?

Now back to the real topic at hand.

You do realise what your schedule would look like this season if you had to play OU? You would still have had to play Texas, Texas A&M, KU, Mizzou, and even lowly us, and then to top it all off you get OU at the end?

Not necessarily. Who says you HAVE to stick to the same 3 south teams every year?

You don't stick to the same, you rotate out, for the next two seasons you guys get OU, Tech, and Baylor. My point was this, if you get OU every year you would drop one South game that gets rotated, so in one season you might end up with OU, Texas, and Texas A&M and you still play your North schedule. Now let me make it very clear, I could really care less about when we play each other or if any of you consider CU a rivalry game or not, I have seen your fans react when it comes to this game regardless of what is in this thread. So with that said, I want to pretend for a second that I am a Nebraska fan, I would want to know, what benefit would there be to add a National Title contender year in and year out, just for the sake of tradition from almost 20 years ago? How would it benefit the Cornhusker nation? As a fan I would want my team to be in the best possible situation to play for titles, I would not want there to be a tie in the last weekend and I have to play OU while Mizzou gets someone like ISU to decide the north.

To be the Best you have to beat the best.

...T_O_B

You do realise what your schedule would look like this season if you had to play OU? You would still have had to play Texas, Texas A&M, KU, Mizzou, and even lowly us, and then to top it all off you get OU at the end?

Not necessarily. Who says you HAVE to stick to the same 3 south teams every year?

You don't stick to the same, you rotate out, for the next two seasons you guys get OU, Tech, and Baylor. My point was this, if you get OU every year you would drop one South game that gets rotated, so in one season you might end up with OU, Texas, and Texas A&M and you still play your North schedule. Now let me make it very clear, I could really care less about when we play each other or if any of you consider CU a rivalry game or not, I have seen your fans react when it comes to this game regardless of what is in this thread. So with that said, I want to pretend for a second that I am a Nebraska fan, I would want to know, what benefit would there be to add a National Title contender year in and year out, just for the sake of tradition from almost 20 years ago? How would it benefit the Cornhusker nation? As a fan I would want my team to be in the best possible situation to play for titles, I would not want there to be a tie in the last weekend and I have to play OU while Mizzou gets someone like ISU to decide the north.

...T_O_B

I see no reason to suject your team to unnecessary games. Take next season for us, we play FSU, West Virginia, and Texas in 3 straight games, even if we are much improved which I believe we will be, we basically take ourselves out of contention for anything nationally before we even get out of the month of September. Tough schedules are one thing, bloodbaths are something else.

...T_O_B

I see no reason to suject your team to unnecessary games. Take next season for us, we play FSU, West Virginia, and Texas in 3 straight games, even if we are much improved which I believe we will be, we basically take ourselves out of contention for anything nationally before we even get out of the month of September. Tough schedules are one thing, bloodbaths are something else.

it reminds me of ISU a couple of years ago. they had a good team, but an insane schedule

Frankly I would never make a trip to Boulder just based on what I saw two years ago with the students being cleared out. As much as I hate missing a Husker game on tv I'm almost starting to be glad I won't get to since I have to work. But I will DVR it just in case NU drops a nuke on the Buffs to get that 6th win of the season.

You know, I felt the same way about going to Lincoln after I saw Husker fans throwing bottles at Brandon Drumm in 2002, but I made the trip in 2004 anyway. Wouldn't you know it, the fans weren't nearly as unruly in real life as they appeared on television... man, who woulda thunk it?

Where has the season gone? The last regular season game is upon us and a mere 7 days from now the season will be over. What this brings into my mind every year is that the Big 12 has robbed us of our season ending rivalry game with Oklahoma. Now every year we are stuck with playing Colorado and the auora of this game pales in comparrison to the games played by the Huskers and the Sooners. I got home from Viet Nam shortly before "the Game of the Century." (The last century.) I was completely captivated by that magnificent game and have been a Husker fan ever since. I struggled through the years when it seemed we just couldn't find a way to beat them. Went from sky high to basement low the year we finally beat them, then lost and had to face Oklahoma again in the Orange bowl. I even missed them being good when Switzer left and they fell on hard times -- its just more fun to beat them when they are good. Then came the demise of the South-west Conference, the formation of the Big 12 and the news that we wouldn't play Okla. every year and that the game when played would no longer be the last game of the year. I've still got TG left-overs. I've still got Bloody Mary's, scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast. I've still got ice cold beer for the game. I just don't have an opponent I can hate and respect at the same time. (You hate them so bad because they play so good.) What I get every year is Colorado, the team that had to use strippers and hookers to lure players to sign with them. I'm sorry Big 12, but we got short changed in this deal and that STINKS! ...STINKS!

...T_O_B

:yeah:restore:yeah

Thats true but I don't see where that would be bad enough reason not to play Oklahoma the day after Thanksgiving. It's to bad Oklahoma did'nt agree to keep playing it each year.

...T_O_B

Never say "We just got whupped" till the game is over. Good Luck next year.

Kick their collective butts.

...T_O_B

Thats true but I don't see where that would be bad enough reason not to play Oklahoma the day after Thanksgiving. It's to bad Oklahoma did'nt agree to keep playing it each year.

I guess I am just a sissy, if you guys took off to the South I wouldn't really jump up and down to make the Big 12 force us into a game every year and replace someone like Baylor and then play Texas and Texas A&M, but that's just me. Of course I am rooting for a toned down non-con schedule for my school as well, I just do not see the need for an overly hyped schedule when if Kansas who played no one ends up running the table will play for the BCS title.

I very much miss the yearly OU rivalry as well. The thing is, I'm not sure we were OU's biggest rival. I think a lot of their fans would tell you that the one game they wanted to win every year was the Texas game. I learned that when I went to school in Dallas in the early 90s. That kind of took some of the luster of the OU/NU rivalry for me.