The Big 12 done us wrong

T_O_Bull

The OU/NU rivalry was great...almost like playing in the Olympics of football. When you have to have CU as your rival it's more like playing in the Special Olympics of football....

Yeesh, if that's really the case I'd hate to know how the Hawkeyes faithful feel every September...

???????

I wouldn't hate the big 12 half as much if they hadn't screwed with our tradition. Sorry CU people, no offense meant but your Buffs ARE NOT and NEVER WILL BE Nebraska's traditional rival. That honor goes to Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. Just check Hhistory. It's self explanatory.

Honestly, I don't think most Buffs fans give two poopies whether Nebraska views us as their "traditional rival". For the past 20 years, the NU/CU game has had significant implications more often than it hasn't, and both fanbases dislike eachother a great deal, so I think it's pretty safe to say that it's a rivalry game. Whether you view it as your "true" rivalry game, or however else you want to phrase it, is a fairly moot point. There's a rivalry between the two schools, it's a rivalry game.

Rivalry games are also fun. You might want to try enjoying it instead of throwing a fit over it.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Its always fun kickin' your butts. We always enjoy it, some years more than others. Threw a fit once about 55 years ago and Mom paddled my rear end and cured me of that type of behavior. Now if you go to the game this year leave your spray paint and keys at home and don"t mess with any cars with Neb licence plates.

...T_O_B

I'd me more afraid if it was the other way around this season. I am not sure I would feel real safe in Lincoln when people are sending in death threats to your coaches. It's one thing to have some students kicked out for littering, but to want to kill a coach over a football game seems rather insane.

Husker fans don't hate the Buffs because they're a great challenge, but because of the reputation of their fans, i.e., having to empty the student section during games, etc.

Hey Dr. Fairandbalanced, so should CU hate Nebraska because of the reputation of their fans, i.e. calling in murder threats on their defensive coordinator, etc.?

My story:

It was 1986, was a sophomore in hs. Boulder was close (I was in Scottsbluff) so I went with some friends to the game. I thought it would be fun, I went there in '82 to watch CU get destroyed.

It was a disaster. The game was not only bad for NU, but CU fans were horrible to us; we had friends' car headlights shot out with a BB gun, a CU fan threw a lead pipe at a friend's van, and a Boulder policeman obviously looked the other way, and did nothing. After the game, I feared for my life from drunken CU fans.

In the 62-36 debacle, my dad was there, and when he stood up before the game to get a picture, a CU fan sitting behind him grabbed his coat and pulled him down. Dad, who is pretty calm, got very upset, and told the guy in no uncertain terms that he needed to stop that...and several CU fans cursed him out, I believe, and threatened him. Dad feared for his safety. And they weren't even close to the student section.

To be sure, it's the jacka$$ fans who make it look bad for the rest of the fans, but I believe CU has more of them than anywhere else. Overall, I believe them to be bad people (although I'm sure there are a few nice ones...I just haven't ever met or seen any).

I bet you tell that subject really touches a wrong nerve with me. :angry::madash

The two things that continue to rile me up every year is how the Big 12 screwed with the NU/OU tradition and how the BCS and all this talk about "needing" a football playoff has ruined New Years Day for us.

...T_O_B

Husker fans don't hate the Buffs because they're a great challenge, but because of the reputation of their fans, i.e., having to empty the student section during games, etc.

Hey Dr. Fairandbalanced, so should CU hate Nebraska because of the reputation of their fans, i.e. calling in murder threats on their defensive coordinator, etc.?

You are the perfect example of the south end of a buffalo heading north.

...T_O_B

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Now back to the real topic at hand.

You do realise what your schedule would look like this season if you had to play OU? You would still have had to play Texas, Texas A&M, KU, Mizzou, and even lowly us, and then to top it all off you get OU at the end? Now this might have sounded somewhat attractive back in the day but do you really want that schedule? Let's face it, the only real reason KU is undefeated at this point is that they have not had to play anyone yet, throw in UT and OU into their schedule and there is no way that team sweeps them both. I am not saying UT is by any means great this year but still having to go to either Austin or Norman and winning both seems rather unlikely for them. Now if you could add OU consistently in exchange for one less South game then that might work but you would only get to drop one team and that would rotate out, so in some years you would get to drop Baylor for OU. That hardly seems like a fair exchange. At some point you have to ask yourself, do you want tradition or do you want championships?

I rather watch NU vs. OU instead of Colorado. I mean honestly the old rivalry is way better and had alot more class then anything I've seen come out of Boulder. Frankly I would never make a trip to Boulder just based on what I saw two years ago with the students being cleared out. As much as I hate missing a Husker game on tv I'm almost starting to be glad I won't get to since I have to work. But I will DVR it just in case NU drops a nuke on the Buffs to get that 6th win of the season.

You do realise what your schedule would look like this season if you had to play OU? You would still have had to play Texas, Texas A&M, KU, Mizzou, and even lowly us, and then to top it all off you get OU at the end?

Not necessarily. Who says you HAVE to stick to the same 3 south teams every year?

I rather watch NU vs. OU instead of Colorado. I mean honestly the old rivalry is way better and had alot more class then anything I've seen come out of Boulder. Frankly I would never make a trip to Boulder just based on what I saw two years ago with the students being cleared out. As much as I hate missing a Husker game on tv I'm almost starting to be glad I won't get to since I have to work. But I will DVR it just in case NU drops a nuke on the Buffs to get that 6th win of the season.

Sorry guy, but your class pedestal has gone out the door this season, you might have gotten away with it before but this season has proved the Huskers are no better or no worse then any other fan base including Colorado's.

As for your point, you will still have to play us regardless of whether it is Thanksgiving weekend or October and you will have to play teams lke Texas and Texas A&M.

You do realise what your schedule would look like this season if you had to play OU? You would still have had to play Texas, Texas A&M, KU, Mizzou, and even lowly us, and then to top it all off you get OU at the end?

Not necessarily. Who says you HAVE to stick to the same 3 south teams every year?

You don't stick to the same, you rotate out, for the next two seasons you guys get OU, Tech, and Baylor. My point was this, if you get OU every year you would drop one South game that gets rotated, so in one season you might end up with OU, Texas, and Texas A&M and you still play your North schedule. Now let me make it very clear, I could really care less about when we play each other or if any of you consider CU a rivalry game or not, I have seen your fans react when it comes to this game regardless of what is in this thread. So with that said, I want to pretend for a second that I am a Nebraska fan, I would want to know, what benefit would there be to add a National Title contender year in and year out, just for the sake of tradition from almost 20 years ago? How would it benefit the Cornhusker nation? As a fan I would want my team to be in the best possible situation to play for titles, I would not want there to be a tie in the last weekend and I have to play OU while Mizzou gets someone like ISU to decide the north.

I wouldn't hate the big 12 half as much if they hadn't screwed with our tradition. Sorry CU people, no offense meant but your Buffs ARE NOT and NEVER WILL BE Nebraska's traditional rival. That honor goes to Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. Just check Hhistory. It's self explanatory.

Honestly, I don't think most Buffs fans give two poopies whether Nebraska views us as their "traditional rival". For the past 20 years, the NU/CU game has had significant implications more often than it hasn't, and both fanbases dislike eachother a great deal, so I think it's pretty safe to say that it's a rivalry game. Whether you view it as your "true" rivalry game, or however else you want to phrase it, is a fairly moot point. There's a rivalry between the two schools, it's a rivalry game.

Rivalry games are also fun. You might want to try enjoying it instead of throwing a fit over it.

Its always fun kickin' your butts. We always enjoy it, some years more than others. Threw a fit once about 55 years ago and Mom paddled my rear end and cured me of that type of behavior. Now if you go to the game this year leave your spray paint and keys at home and don"t mess with any cars with Neb licence plates.

...T_O_B

I'd me more afraid if it was the other way around this season. I am not sure I would feel real safe in Lincoln when people are sending in death threats to your coaches. It's one thing to have some students kicked out for littering, but to want to kill a coach over a football game seems rather insane.

No one here condones the actions of those few who have been abusive to our coaqches and their families. I would like nothing better than to have the perp. who made this call prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

What the CU fans need to realize is that for years and years Nebraska Fans have helped your struggling program by buying tickets to and attending games in your stadium. At times it almost looked like a Neb. home game due to all the Red in the stands. Revenue for your Athletic Dept. and revenue for your city and state. Think about that the next time you think about vandalizing a Neb. car or cursing at a Husker fan.

...T_O_B

...T_O_B

No one here condones the actions of those few who have been abusive to our coaqches and their families. I would like nothing better than to have the perp. who made this call prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

What the CU fans need to realize is that for years and years Nebraska Fans have helped your struggling program by buying tickets to and attending games in your stadium. At times it almost looked like a Neb. home game due to all the Red in the stands. Revenue for your Athletic Dept. and revenue for your city and state. Think about that the next time you think about vandalizing a Neb. car or cursing at a Husker fan.

...T_O_B

If you assume that I vandalize cars or curse at someone wearing red because I am a CU guy then I must assume that you were the one that sent in the death threat. Tit for tat..........

...T_O_B

...T_O_B

If you assume that I vandalize cars or curse at someone wearing red because I am a CU guy then I must assume that you were the one that sent in the death threat. Tit for tat..........

Granted and my apologies.

...T_O_B