The Big 12 done us wrong

T_O_Bull

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Where has the season gone? The last regular season game is upon us and a mere 7 days from now the season will be over. What this brings into my mind every year is that the Big 12 has robbed us of our season ending rivalry game with Oklahoma. Now every year we are stuck with playing Colorado and the auora of this game pales in comparrison to the games played by the Huskers and the Sooners. I got home from Viet Nam shortly before "the Game of the Century." (The last century.) I was completely captivated by that magnificent game and have been a Husker fan ever since. I struggled through the years when it seemed we just couldn't find a way to beat them. Went from sky high to basement low the year we finally beat them, then lost and had to face Oklahoma again in the Orange bowl. I even missed them being good when Switzer left and they fell on hard times -- its just more fun to beat them when they are good. Then came the demise of the South-west Conference, the formation of the Big 12 and the news that we wouldn't play Okla. every year and that the game when played would no longer be the last game of the year. I've still got TG left-overs. I've still got Bloody Mary's, scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast. I've still got ice cold beer for the game. I just don't have an opponent I can hate and respect at the same time. (You hate them so bad because they play so good.) What I get every year is Colorado, the team that had to use strippers and hookers to lure players to sign with them. I'm sorry Big 12, but we got short changed in this deal and that STINKS! ...STINKS!

...T_O_B

What I get every year is Colorado, the team that had to use strippers and hookers to lure players to sign with them.

You stay classy, Lincoln! :thumbs

(not to mention factual...)

lol....strippers and hookers...maybe we could increase the fan base if we had them at all the home games...naw, no room for the fans we already have. :lol:

Where has the season gone? The last regular season game is upon us and a mere 7 days from now the season will be over. What this brings into my mind every year is that the Big 12 has robbed us of our season ending rivalry game with Oklahoma. Now every year we are stuck with playing Colorado and the auora of this game pales in comparrison to the games played by the Huskers and the Sooners. I got home from Viet Nam shortly before "the Game of the Century." (The last century.) I was completely captivated by that magnificent game and have been a Husker fan ever since. I struggled through the years when it seemed we just couldn't find a way to beat them. Went from sky high to basement low the year we finally beat them, then lost and had to face Oklahoma again in the Orange bowl. I even missed them being good when Switzer left and they fell on hard times -- its just more fun to beat them when they are good. Then came the demise of the South-west Conference, the formation of the Big 12 and the news that we wouldn't play Okla. every year and that the game when played would no longer be the last game of the year. I've still got TG left-overs. I've still got Bloody Mary's, scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast. I've still got ice cold beer for the game. I just don't have an opponent I can hate and respect at the same time. (You hate them so bad because they play so good.) What I get every year is Colorado, the team that had to use strippers and hookers to lure players to sign with them. I'm sorry Big 12, but we got short changed in this deal and that STINKS! ...STINKS!

...T_O_B

No sh#t. All the Big 8 teams got told what to do by the 4 texas teams and i will never understand that. the texas teams needed the Big 8 more than the Big 8 needed them. All the Big 8 got was 1 good texas team,2 average teams and 1 piss poor team.

...T_O_B

Sorry, but the problem was that the only school that could give you guys a game in the '90s was Colorado. OU sucked when they formed the Big 12 so when the conference had the chance to get an almost guranteed National TV game the four most competitive schools at the time were NU, CU, UT, and Texas A&M. So there are your games, if it is a huge problem you could always leave the Big 12 and then schedule a non-con game every year with OU :)

I did get tired of it always being Nebraska and Oklahoma at the top....Iowa State, Kansas, and K-State never seemed to have teams that were even competitive.

Someone that gets it, even though our game doesn't mean jack squat how interesting is it that KU/Mizzou will play for Big 12 North supremacy and for KU even a chance at a national title game? At this point I am starting to get real interested in seeing KU make it happen, it is just neat to see happen.

...T_O_B

Sorry, but the problem was that the only school that could give you guys a game in the '90s was Colorado. OU sucked when they formed the Big 12 so when the conference had the chance to get an almost guranteed National TV game the four most competitive schools at the time were NU, CU, UT, and Texas A&M. So there are your games, if it is a huge problem you could always leave the Big 12 and then schedule a non-con game every year with OU :)

Yea now we suck, and the winner of the two may get a bowl bid. Oh how things have changed.

...T_O_B

The problem is that 4 Texas schools wanted into the conference with all the television revenues they could bring, When they did they demanded the Big 8 the SWC rules on a lot of stuff and 7 other Big 8 schools, sick of losing to NU all the time caved to them over Nebraska's objection.

I wouldn't hate the big 12 half as much if they hadn't screwed with our tradition. Sorry CU people, no offense meant but your Buffs ARE NOT and NEVER WILL BE Nebraska's traditional rival. That honor goes to Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. Just check Hhistory. It's self explanatory.

The new conference totally threw out our annual rivalry game basically to kiss ass to the texas schools. NU-OU used to be as important as Ohio State and Michigan, USC and Notre Dame or Army-Navy. The fact that OU was in a down cycle and CU was up in the 90s is completely irrelevant. McCartney manufactured a rivalry where there was none because CU didn't have a rivalry game of that magnitude and the Big 12 stuck it in on us as a convenience just to shut us up. And I'll never shut up about it.

NU-OU on Thanksgiving Day. It Must be brought back. Send the Texas Schools back to their own conference if they can't accept it. Death to the Big 12!

...T_O_B

The problem is that 4 Texas schools wanted into the conference with all the television revenues they could bring, When they did they demanded the Big 8 the SWC rules on a lot of stuff and 7 other Big 8 schools, sick of losing to NU all the time caved to them over Nebraska's objection.

I wouldn't hate the big 12 half as much if they hadn't screwed with our tradition. Sorry CU people, no offense meant but your Buffs ARE NOT and NEVER WILL BE Nebraska's traditional rival. That honor goes to Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. Just check Hhistory. It's self explanatory.

The new conference totally threw out our annual rivalry game basically to kiss ass to the texas schools. NU-OU used to be as important as Ohio State and Michigan, USC and Notre Dame or Army-Navy. The fact that OU was in a down cycle and CU was up in the 90s is completely irrelevant. McCartney manufactured a rivalry where there was none because CU didn't have a rivalry game of that magnitude and the Big 12 stuck it in on us as a convenience just to shut us up. And I'll never shut up about it.

NU-OU on Thanksgiving Day. It Must be brought back. Send the Texas Schools back to their own conference if they can't accept it. Death to the Big 12!

You comments do not offend me at all, mainly because you are now in a huge minority. The evidence is a certain poll right here on this site conducted a couple of weeks ago about if the Huskers could beat anyone with their remaining schedule who would you want them to beat, I would venture to say at least 85% in favor of kicking our asses and then shoving our noses in it....lol I am not sure what "rivalry" means, but if a game brings out that kind of emotion in folks then I guess I might nominate it for a "rivalry" game. I am sure you grew up with the whole OU/NU thing and it was a hell of a series but it isn't there anymore and next season when you guys do get to play each other you will be facing a coach who doesn't give a rat's arse unless he is playing Texas and who the hell knows who your coach will even be, if it is still Cally, well, the first OU/NU game he probably ever saw was last year's Big 12 title game. Times have changed my friend, times have changed.

Yea, not playing Oklahoma every year sucks. What gets me worse is that the CU NU "rivalry" was largely made up IMO. How can you say "OK, you and you are going to be rivals now.". WTF is that about?

That's just my point. manufactured...artificial..... FAKE!

Hey BeachBuffs... the poll you quoted... The question was about who we most wanted to beat on our remaining schedule. Is OU on our remaining schedule? Ask people if they'd rather play OU or CU at thanksgiving time every year and you might get a different response. Especially by people who've followed the program for a long time.. instead of some johnny-come-lately on thestaff or in the media that hasn't got a clue about what has been before. Or some Kid on the street that wouldn't know anyway.

That game was the most important event in the year outside of Christamas day back then. It's still there. It never goes away. I'm sorry if you don't understand. You have no idea what you're missing out on today.