The worst failure

Syzygyone

IMO, keeping Clownahan would be making sure we have a couple of rocky years. We pretty much had every piece of the same puzzle we did a year ago return except for the D line. I realize we don't have Taylor, but everyone thought Keller was much better than Taylor. If Clownahan stays, we lose several pieces of the puzzle from this year. We lose most of our DB's, we lose most of our LB's, we lose our biggest WR threats, etc. It appears to me that if Clownahan stays, we have a huge recipe for disaster next year other than our schedule is easier.

Knowing we're in for a rough ride by keeping him, I vote to get rid of him and maybe keep from having a rough ride for the next couple of years.

That may very well be the case. Then again, if Cally were to hire a new DC, would things dramatically improve? It's hard to say.

I also tell myself if Osborne is unable to get a new HC that he wants and trusts, he's not going to hire some joe-shmoe off the street like Pudnocker did. He'll keep Callahan around until the opportunity is right or if things improve, keep Callahan longer.

:dunno

I can agree with that. I don't think TO will hire anyone unless he feels that person is the best fit for NU. However, it does still bring up the lame duck status of our coaching staff. I think TO is between a rock and a hard place. He doesn't want a lame duck coaching staff anymore than he wants to just hire the first guy who says yes.

I can agree with that. I don't think TO will hire anyone unless he feels that person is the best fit for NU. However, it does still bring up the lame duck status of our coaching staff. I think TO is between a rock and a hard place. He doesn't want a lame duck coaching staff anymore than he wants to just hire the first guy who says yes.

And I can agree with that as well.

Ummmmm....cuz I refuse to get tunnel vision on this whole thing or single minded? Or cuz that's my opinion and if people don't like it, that's their opinion. Or cuz I refuse to jump on the fire Callahan bandwagon or join in on the Pelini circle jerk or the Gill orgy cuz it seems to be all the latest rage. Or it's because I refuse to tow the company line and hold up the "fire cally" picket sign cuz everyone else says so.

Ummmmm....cuz I refuse to get tunnel vision on this whole thing or single minded? Or cuz that's my opinion and if people don't like it, that's their opinion. Or cuz I refuse to jump on the fire Callahan bandwagon or join in on the Pelini circle jerk or the Gill orgy cuz it seems to be all the latest rage. Or it's because I refuse to tow the company line and hold up the "fire cally" picket sign cuz everyone else says so.

So you're being contrary just to be contrary? It's like saying "Everyone else is on this 2+2=4 bandwagon, so I'm saying it equals five!" Is that it?

It's like you don't know about the traditions of this program, how things were in the 70s, 80s and 90s, or how it was in the 60s when Devaney was building the program. What we are today so little resembles the Huskers of old that when I watch film of old games it literally brings tears to my eyes. Having an innate knowledge of those times, I don't grasp how someone can look at the state of the program as it is today and not see there is dire need for change.

IMO, keeping Clownahan would be making sure we have a couple of rocky years. We pretty much had every piece of the same puzzle we did a year ago return except for the D line. I realize we don't have Taylor, but everyone thought Keller was much better than Taylor. If Clownahan stays, we lose several pieces of the puzzle from this year. We lose most of our DB's, we lose most of our LB's, we lose our biggest WR threats, etc. It appears to me that if Clownahan stays, we have a huge recipe for disaster next year other than our schedule is easier.

Knowing we're in for a rough ride by keeping him, I vote to get rid of him and maybe keep from having a rough ride for the next couple of years.

That may very well be the case. Then again, if Cally were to hire a new DC, would things dramatically improve? It's hard to say.

I also tell myself if Osborne is unable to get a new HC that he wants and trusts, he's not going to hire some joe-shmoe off the street like Pudnocker did. He'll keep Callahan around until the opportunity is right or if things improve, keep Callahan longer.

:dunno

Uh what? That makes no sense. Osborne would have fired Callahan first before he began his coaching search.

So you're being contrary just to be contrary? It's like saying "Everyone else is on this 2+2=4 bandwagon, so I'm saying it equals five!" Is that it?

It's like you don't know about the traditions of this program, how things were in the 70s, 80s and 90s, or how it was in the 60s when Devaney was building the program. What we are today so little resembles the Huskers of old that when I watch film of old games it literally brings tears to my eyes. Having an innate knowledge of those times, I don't grasp how someone can look at the state of the program as it is today and not see there is dire need for change.

I'm aware of the history and tradition. But I'm also aware of the fact there is nothing that is going to return Nebraska football to the dominance it once knew in years past. We're never going to be a team that resembles the Huskers of old. Just cuz Osborne is the AD doesn't guarantee we're going to start winning again immediately. Robsker hit the nail when he said NU fans have become spoiled after 4 decades of winning and now Husker Nation feels as if it's our right to win games.

Uh what? That makes no sense. Osborne would have fired Callahan first before he began his coaching search.

You can't tell me Osborne is going to fire Callahan and THEN go on a coaching search. Osborne (or his people) has put out feelers, I'm guessing, to judge interest from potential coaches. If the guy Osborne likes and trusts isn't going to be available or he's unable to get him, do you think Osborne is going to fire Callahan anyway and find someone else? Isn't that eerily similar to what Pederson did?

I hope they have put feelers out because I don't want a repeat of the failure we had called a coaching search last time. If we review the last coaching search dibacle, I keep wondering who we would have ended up with if Al Davis would have decided to give Clownahan a second chance. Pud was out of options. I can't even imagine who it would have been. I have a feeling if TO is going to make a change he already knows who the new HC will be and has been given assurance they will come here.

I'm aware of the history and tradition. But I'm also aware of the fact there is nothing that is going to return Nebraska football to the dominance it once knew in years past. We're never going to be a team that resembles the Huskers of old. Just cuz Osborne is the AD doesn't guarantee we're going to start winning again immediately. Robsker hit the nail when he said NU fans have become spoiled after 4 decades of winning and now Husker Nation feels as if it's our right to win games.

You can't tell me Osborne is going to fire Callahan and THEN go on a coaching search. Osborne (or his people) has put out feelers, I'm guessing, to judge interest from potential coaches. If the guy Osborne likes and trusts isn't going to be available or he's unable to get him, do you think Osborne is going to fire Callahan anyway and find someone else? Isn't that eerily similar to what Pederson did?

it sure is and that puts TO in a bad spot. he is damned if he does and for sure, he is damned if he does not.

this is why he has taken as much time trying to gather the facts before he acts........so yes, you can bet "our folks" have been talking to to some other "guys folks" about coaching possibilities.

but far and away, the biggest risk is keeping a HC who didn't have the balls to fire his DC and make better assistant coaching hires/decisions over the past 4 years. the CEO is responsible for surrounding himself with capable people and cally has failed miserably in this phase of his leadership.

Robsker and you have both missed the point about Husker football. It's not about the wins and losses and it never has been, it's how the kids play the game. That's what everyone calling for Callahan to stay is missing in all of this. People focus on Callahan's win/loss record and that's just never, ever what this program has been about.

Not the victory but the action

Not the goal but the game

In the deed the glory

It is Callahan's unwillingness or inability to embrace this basic tenet of Husker Football that has brought about his downfall.

Look at who we are. Half our population lives in Lincoln and Omaha, another 1/4 lives in minor cities/towns across the state. But nearly all of us living in Nebraska can trace back one or two generations to some very basic, simple folk, often farmers, who built Nebraska on hard work and ethic, on substance over style, on dirt under their nails rather than gel in their hair.

We are people who don't care too much that we look good as long as we are good. The Callahan Era has been exactly the opposite - all flash and very little substance.

That's why I'm saying he needs to go. Not because he's a bad guy (he's not), not because he's evil (he's not), not because he's failing to win games (he is, but that's beside the point), it's because he doesn't know who we are, and he hasn't bothered to learn. Simply put, he's not a Husker.

I just don't see how a person can truly know what this program was founded on and still think there's reason to keep Callahan here.

That's why I'm saying he needs to go. Not because he's a bad guy (he's not), not because he's evil (he's not), not because he's failing to win games (he is, but that's beside the point), it's because he doesn't know who we are, and he hasn't bothered to learn. Simply put, he's not a Husker.

I just don't see how a person can truly know what this program was founded on and still think there's reason to keep Callahan here

And my point is, where is the overwhelming proof that says he hasn't tried? My argument is again, Pederson may have been the real reason behind all this. We've heard and read the rumors about Pederson and how things were in the AD. IMO, Pederson is the one who should have taught Callahan what it meant to be the Huskers coach, not the fans or the media. Pederson should have taught Callahan about the history of the football program. Pederson should have taught Callahan the true meaning of the Blackshirts. If he was was unable to do that, then he should have reached out to past players and coaches and asked for help. But his refusal to basically acknowledge past players tells me Pud had no interest in maintaining the traditions of NU football. And if that truly was the case, is Callahan to blame then for not truly knowing and understanding the traditions of Husker Football and what those traditions mean to the fans?

If Callahan truly does not understand, then we only have Pederson to blame IMO.

If Callahan truly does not understand, then we only have Pederson to blame IMO.

If phones, faxes, cell phones, email, text messages, pagers, the US Postal Service, Western Union and/or carrier pigeons didn't exist, I would be inclined to believe you.

But they do exist, and Callahan did not ever, one time, attempt to contact TO or any of the former coaches and get their advice. Not once.

It is time for Callahan and his supporters to take responsibility for what Callahan has done.

The buck has to stop somewhere, and it's not the other guy's fault when you fail.