The worst failure

Syzygyone

The real reason, and maybe the predominant one, that TO must give BC the boot is because he not only turned his back on decades of Cornhusker tradition, he bascially stomped it into the ground. He totally ignored what made this football program pre-eminent for decades. He totally wiped out the thought that being a Husker player, having earned the right to step on to that field and play, was a high privilege and honor, that you too, could wear the red and white and represent along with the greats of the past. That, in my mind, evidences a total lack of understanding about the game. To those who play this game, this very difficult game, you need motivation. As Zac once put it, just playing for Nebraska should be motivation enough. Well, when you hide the tradition of excellence, the tradition of blindingly hard work, when you take the photos off the wall, when you tell walk-ons that they don't have a chance becuase of all the scholarship players, then you don't understand how to motivate or how to lead. All the perfect schemes in the world won't win a single championship without inspired play. BC might be really bright and know the theory behinds the Xs and Os, but he obviosuly doesn't know how to work with young men. If you can't motivate or lead young men, if you actually have your players telling the media that they are a product, then you have no hope of being a championship college football coach. TO knows this. TO is the incarnation of this. That is why I say, TO will say:

Good bye Bill.

Edited by Syzygyone

I think that about sums up my thoughts as well. I cannot for the life of me understand why people have come out in support of Callahan after the K-state game. We slaughtered a worthless team, yes, but even if we had done that twice more this season, my eyes are open to the true story, and that is Bill Callahan has destroyed what makes Nebraska great. He's taken our beating heart and squeezed the blood right out of it. I hope and pray that Tom makes the hard but right decision here. We may be in for a rocky couple of years, but I'll take it so long as we can say we did it with a fierce Blackshirt defense, a walk-on program that is the envy of the world, and a fire which belongs to Nebraska football.

X

I agree very much about the traditions of football here. Many other schools have amazing traditions as well that I am sure they hold very close to their heart. I think we have been spoiled to have a coach like Osborne who was in the seat for 20 plus years, and then passed off to a coach who had been there with him for many years as well. Sure there were some great times under Bob Devany and great players, but most of Husker football has been defined by the Osborne era by and large. It is a shame that times change for the better or for the worse sometimes. I can imagine as a coach coming into a place like NU and having the expectations that "it will be run just like it always has period." That's a tough place to be. There is a lot of responsibility with that. I guess we shall all see what the next coach brings to the table.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not disagreeing with the idea of Callahan needing to be fired....there I said it...

However, I have to wonder how much of Callahan's perceived attitude and snubbing of fans was as a result of the environment created by Pud within the Athletic Dept. Now that the offense seems to be clicking (coincidentally about the same time as Osborne's arrival) people think Callahan is trying to save his job. I've heard people say Callahan is kissing Osborne's ass with the recent in-state recruiting trips to talk up the walk-on program. But has anyone stopped to think that now that Osborne is the AD, the rein's on Callahan have been loosened just a bit and he can finally start doing what he's been wanting to do all along? And that Callahan was doing nothing but touting the company line when Pud was AD? Or that Pud is the real reason the walk-on program was diminished even more? It's been reported Pud micro-managed and created what some describe as a dictatorial atmosphere.

Yeah I know...I know.... dedhoarsededhoarse

DISCLAIMER: I'm not disagreeing with the idea of Callahan needing to be fired....there I said it...

However, I have to wonder how much of Callahan's perceived attitude and snubbing of fans was as a result of the environment created by Pud within the Athletic Dept. Now that the offense seems to be clicking (coincidentally about the same time as Osborne's arrival) people think Callahan is trying to save his job. I've heard people say Callahan is kissing Osborne's ass with the recent in-state recruiting trips to talk up the walk-on program. But has anyone stopped to think that now that Osborne is the AD, the rein's on Callahan have been loosened just a bit and he can finally start doing what he's been wanting to do all along? And that Callahan was doing nothing but touting the company line when Pud was AD? Or that Pud is the real reason the walk-on program was diminished even more? It's been reported Pud micro-managed and created what some describe as a dictatorial atmosphere.

Similar to something I was posting a few weeks ago -- if Pederson dismantled many of the traditions, how was Callahan suppose to embrace or understand what existed.

I keep going back and forth in my mind if I believe that Callahan is gone or not...I do think there is a chance that he stays...who knows. I will wait until Saturday or Sunday or Monday...

Similar to something I was posting a few weeks ago -- if Pederson dismantled many of the traditions, how was Callahan suppose to embrace or understand what existed.

He could start by talking to TO about it. His refusal to even speak TO's name should tell you volumes about where BC is coming from regarding Nebraska's tradition.

At the end of the day you cannot blame Pederson for Callahan's failures. One of those failures is his disinterest in the Huskers of Yesteryear. It is not Pederson's doing, it is the culture Bill created.

I think that about sums up my thoughts as well. I cannot for the life of me understand why people have come out in support of Callahan after the K-state game. We slaughtered a worthless team, yes, but even if we had done that twice more this season, my eyes are open to the true story, and that is Bill Callahan has destroyed what makes Nebraska great. He's taken our beating heart and squeezed the blood right out of it. I hope and pray that Tom makes the hard but right decision here. We may be in for a rocky couple of years, but I'll take it so long as we can say we did it with a fierce Blackshirt defense, a walk-on program that is the envy of the world, and a fire which belongs to Nebraska football.

X

great post x........i think a lot of folks would agree with it and i too long for the days of how we made these teams before Hollywood and Pro staffs infiltrated our scene. it can still work, the Husker way and we know it can!

no, no, no. both Ped and Bill were up to their asses, TOGETHER, in how this program was dismantled......

first day on the job........

Pud: "OK, Bill, this stupid ass walk on program has got to go. We need to spend a lot more time on targeting big name kids from California and the like....i know you can spend your time better recruiting out west"

BC: "yeah, i agree Pud. Who the hell ever heard of an in state walk on program generating better players than we could recruit from the coast, with maybe a few exceptions? i will shrink this way down to a more manageable number so we can spend more time working with my complex playbook too."

Pud: "great. i will get those corny old pictures of ex players removed from the wall too. we need to jazz this place up a bit and get up to speed here. we also don't need any ex players hanging around on the sidelines during games like we used to do here."

BC: "sounds good to me. got to get back to work on my X's and O's..........later."

X

IMO, keeping Clownahan would be making sure we have a couple of rocky years. We pretty much had every piece of the same puzzle we did a year ago return except for the D line. I realize we don't have Taylor, but everyone thought Keller was much better than Taylor. If Clownahan stays, we lose several pieces of the puzzle from this year. We lose most of our DB's, we lose most of our LB's, we lose our biggest WR threats, etc. It appears to me that if Clownahan stays, we have a huge recipe for disaster next year other than our schedule is easier.

Knowing we're in for a rough ride by keeping him, I vote to get rid of him and maybe keep from having a rough ride for the next couple of years.

He could start by talking to TO about it. His refusal to even speak TO's name should tell you volumes about where BC is coming from regarding Nebraska's tradition.

At the end of the day you cannot blame Pederson for Callahan's failures. One of those failures is his disinterest in the Huskers of Yesteryear. It is not Pederson's doing, it is the culture Bill created.

I'm not totally convinced of that. People act a certain way based on the environment around them. Case in point, a past supervisor of mine at a previous assignment liked to micro-manage to a huge degree. His was also an environment of coercion and a "his way or the highway" atmosphere. People hated to work for the guy and dreaded the idea of him being at work. When he wasn't, things went smoothly. I have to think, based on rumors and reports that have come out since Pud's firing, that is essentially how things were (or could have been) under Pud's tutelage. Callahan wasn't responsible for all of the pictures of past All-American players not being hung up in the AD dept (hell, that was Pud's office anyway). And Pud could very well have implemented a no-contact order with past players that Callahan was forced to follow. I never did like Pud anyway. There was always something about him I didn't like and now I know what it was: he was egotistical prick who was looking out for himself only. I'm not saying I'm right, just trying to look at this from a different angle. Devils advocate if you will.

As for Callahan using the term "higher ups" all the time, that phrase could be his way of saying the AD, University President and Boosters without having to list all of them. How many of us have referred to our supervisors and their supervisors and their supervisors, etc, as the "higher up's". I think people picking up on that as proof of his "insubordination" or lack of respect for Osborne is akin to those who nit pick what he wears and doesn't wear to the presser.

I'm not completely convinced Callahan should stay (though if he does, some serious coaching staff changes must be made...that much I agree with) but I'm not convinced his firing will fix everything in Husker Nation either.