Random Thought

There was plenty of talk about steroids in the 80’s. Wasn’t there a book put out about the crap that went down during those days? Also wasn’t there a steroid bust in Lincoln where 2-3 players had their names dropped during it?

For the record maybe every school has a Lawrence Phillips however we also had Riley Washington, Abdul “Bullet-Butt” Christian Peter, Shevin Wiggins, Reggie Baul and Terrell Farley etc… There have been plenty of shady things that have gone on at NU over the years.

Which players were named in the steroid bust? When did that happen?

And yes, those players you list did star here and did have legal problems (some of them very significant legal problems), but again, name a school that doesn't have issues like this.

Newearth, it's great that you remember the several players who had significant legal problems while they were Huskers. Do you remember the academic all-americans we had during that era as well, or just the bad guys? Why bring these guys up? What's the point? Again, EVERY school has guys with these kinds of issues.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/0...2b128093591.txt

I remember the "good" kids as well as the "bad" however it seems like that run in the mid 90's there were more "bad" then "good". Also very few former players have embaressed their alma mater's more then Larry Phillips has done to NU.IMO (O.J. for sure and Rae Carruth(sp) but after that?)

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/0...2b128093591.txt

I remember the "good" kids as well as the "bad" however it seems like that run in the mid 90's there were more "bad" then "good". Also very few former players have embaressed their alma mater's more then Larry Phillips has done to NU.IMO (O.J. for sure and Rae Carruth(sp) but after that?)

As a Husker fan you sure seem to be going to great lengths to rub dirt on the team's good name. Don't you find anything odd about that?

That story - I don't think it says what you think it says. It's some dude alleging that he "knows" Huskers took roids. It's from 2005. Don't you think that if there were legs to this story something would have come from it by now?

As for having more bad than good guys on those teams, you're talking about players who spanned several years as Huskers. With 85 players on the rosters each year, the number of guys you listed is a tiny fraction of the whole of the team. Yet you are throwing the entire team under the bus because of some thugs?

I question that. I really do.

You're right, but we've never had a history of cheating here. We've never been on NCAA probation. We've never had any sanctions against us. It's like congratulating your son or daughter for getting an F in math just because they didn't cheat. A lot of programs win without cheating. Btw, Behlicheck did cheat and it cost him several thousand.

(Actually that was several HUNDRED thousand... like 500,000.... like 1/2 million.)

I hope BC ran a clean program recruiting wise, but many scandals don't surface until a couple of years after the fact. I question how BC is able to get the top ***** recruits in. Maybe he is an excellent recruiter. I just want to wait a few years before giving BC the clean program title.

i think the guy was a master recruiter by selling his connection and wco style as a ticket to the NFL.

truth is a talented college athlete that can make it in the NFL doesn't need cally to get his ticket punched!

I think we are right now in a better place than we were four years ago.

woe, woe, better now than four years ago. I will give you that we do have more talent this year than we did 4 years ago. Being 5-6 and possibly not going to a bowl for the second time in four years, and all the crap that has gone on this year. I really dont think that is a better situation than coming off a win at the Alamo, and a 10-3 season. Also i guarentee you that we would have gotten talent at NU pretty quick, no matter who the coaches were.

The reason we were so down in 2002 was becuase i think Frank Solich started thinking that kids would jsut come to Nebraska just because it was Nebraska. I think he realized and started recruiting hard again but it was too late for Steve Pederson.

There's a Lawrence Phillips in every school in the nation. Nebraska is not unique in that regard.

True. I was just playing touch football with this dude who played at Stanford. After his team lost to us, he tried to run me over with his Bentley. He missed, but what must have been a pound of brie (that's a cheese), flew out the window, hit me in the head, and knocked me silly.

Let me see if I can paraphrase this...

PhillyHusker:

(Bill ran a "Clean" program) We never had any major scandal and while there was damage to Nebraska's football reputation, there were no longstanding damages to the program.

junior4949:

...but we've never had a history of cheating here. We've never been on NCAA probation. We've never had any sanctions against us.

PhillyHusker:

...we have had issues with our players and discipline. I hate to break it to you but some people outside of nebraska have questioned our ethics (steroids and lawerence phillips).

knapplc:

There's a Lawrence Phillips in every school in the nation.

clone:

Cally will have taken us to a bowl possibly 3 out of 4 seasons...A 75% winning percentage..Just as good as Frank.. (Not an exact quote).

newearthhusker:

There have been plenty of shady things that have gone on at NU over the years.

Maybe the greatest concentration during the Championship season of '95(Sumary of his next post)

knapplc:

You! Turn in your Husker card for remembering only bad stuff!!!(Not an exact quote).

As a Husker fan you sure seem to be going to great lengths to rub dirt on the team's good name. Don't you find anything odd about that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

knapplc:

Callahan did a lot of positive things here...and I think we are right now in a better place than we were four years ago.
Even though this team would be a 4TD underdog to the 2003 Huskers?

the Nebraska job is not one of the most coveted positions right now....

knapplc:

Why not? We ...have one of the most - if not the most - dedicated and knowledgable fanbases in America,...
I've seen this stated before..Just not sure how this is a desirable quality to attract a coach. (Makes it harder to say, "You wouldn't understand").

Let me see if I can paraphrase this...

clone:

Cally will have taken us to a bowl possibly 3 out of 4 seasons...A 75% winning percentage..Just as good as Frank.. (Not an exact quote).

Not an exact quote isn't even a close description of how badly you muffed that..

clone:

Cally will have taken us to a bowl possibly 3 out of 4 seasons...

Now it's accurate, Frank did MUCH better than Cally and I predict frank did much better than whoever the next HC is as well.

opinions vary

BEAT CU!!

knapplc:

Callahan did a lot of positive things here...and I think we are right now in a better place than we were four years ago.
Even though this team would be a 4TD underdog to the 2003 Huskers?
Winning and losing games are not the sole factor in the health of a program.

the Nebraska job is not one of the most coveted positions right now....

knapplc:

Why not? We ...have one of the most - if not the most - dedicated and knowledgable fanbases in America,...
I've seen this stated before..Just not sure how this is a desirable quality to attract a coach. (Makes it harder to say, "You wouldn't understand").
Have you ever spoken to a coach about what makes a job attractive? Often they'll tell you that a dedicated, passionate fanbase is a great asset to the program, and makes their job easier in recruiting and fundraising.

I hope BC ran a clean program recruiting wise, but many scandals don't surface until a couple of years after the fact. I question how BC is able to get the top ***** recruits in. Maybe he is an excellent recruiter. I just want to wait a few years before giving BC the clean program title.

Why not assume he runs a clean program until evidence suggests otherwise? Innocent until proven guilty as they say...