Next Season Scenarios

Worst case scenario - NU keeps Callahan & fires Cosgrove & Elmo. We lose to Virginia Tech 35-14, then follow that through with conference losses to Missouri, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, & Kansas. We finish the regular season 7-5 & we win a mediocre bowl game.

Best case scenario - Callahan is shown the door. Bo Pelini is the new head coach. After meeting with the new head coach, all of our current recruits decide to stay committed, also we pick up Justin Thompson & J.R. Bryant (4* JUCO linebacker). Shawn Watson is also retained as OC.

We get revenge against Texas Tech, Kansas & Missouri. We capture a Big XII north title, finish the regular season 10-2 (losses against Virginia Tech & Oklahoma), then we have a huge game & upset Oklahoma for the Big XII Championship.

Worst Case Scenario: Callahan is fired, Osborne hires a guy that isn't ready for the pressure and implodes. The Huskers have the worst season in 55 years and we are even farther away from coming back to the top with no silver lining.

Best Case Scenario: Callahan gets rolling with a favorable schedule early with a reenergized defense and Joey friggin Ganz, knocks off VT in Lincoln and sets up a strong run through the season and another trip to KC where the demons are exercised and we are BCS bound. Osborne is justified in keeping Callahan, Callahan is justified by performing. Alabama situation is avoided.

Let me clarify before I get dogpiled by mouthbreathers. :dumdum :dumdum

Osborne giving Callahan another chance and Callahan being able to turn it around and prove that this year was a fluke by having a huge run next year is the best case scenario for the Nebraska program, its fans and for the sake of continuity. If Callahan is fired and another coach comes in and turns things around, it will be good in the short term, but the long term is still unknown(is the guy going to stick around, can he replicate the feat, is he doing things the right way to get back to the top). If Osborne hires another coach that leads the Big Red to nowhere real fast, he will tarnish his legacy and further solidify the Huskers tailspin into oblivion that he started the day he stepped down.

No offense but have you considered that maybe just maybe that last year was the fluke season and 2004, 2005 and 2007 is the norm? Funny how Solich had one real bad year 7-7 but he was a hack but Callahan just having 3 fluke season out of four.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today

Just one mouth breeders opinion :o

Well, 2 successive years of progress built up to this year and then it fell off the chart. Like I said, it may not be apparent to all, but it would be ideal if Callahan gets another shot and then turns it around to keep some sense of continuity to avoid an Alabama-like situation. Nick Saban can't even fix that mess. Some don't believe this, but it could actually get worse for the long term if a bad decision is made. If a good selection is made for a new coach, then it might be moot, but it is unknown at this point.

I must have missed this progress the second year unless you mean that they actually qualified for a bowl game.

Sat, Sep 17 Pittsburgh - Memorial Stadium 7 - 6 (W)

ABC

Sat, Oct 01 Iowa State 23 Memorial Stadium 27 - 20 (W) (2OT)

ABC

Sat, Oct 08 Texas Tech 15 Memorial Stadium 31 - 34 (L)

TBS

Sat, Oct 15 Baylor - at Waco, Texas 23 - 14 (W)

FSN Pay Per View

Sat, Oct 22 Missouri - at Columbia, Mo. 24 - 41 (L)

FSN

Sat, Oct 29 Oklahoma - Memorial Stadium 24 - 31 (L)

ABC

Sat, Nov 05 Kansas - at Lawrence, Kan. 15 - 40 (L)

None

Sat, Nov 12 Kansas State - Memorial Stadium 27 - 25 (W)

Fri, Nov 25 Colorado - at Boulder, Colo. 30 - 3 (W)

ABC

Anyone get the feeling that if it was'nt for Colorado and Kansas St that the question of even keeping Callahan would be to funny.

If your calling this progress then you better not ever had complain about Solich because he was a god compared to Callahan. It's not hard to call progress if the year prior was 6-6 or 5-7.

Worst Case Scenario: Callahan is fired, Osborne hires a guy that isn't ready for the pressure and implodes. The Huskers have the worst season in 55 years and we are even farther away from coming back to the top with no silver lining.

Best Case Scenario: Callahan gets rolling with a favorable schedule early with a reenergized defense and Joey friggin Ganz, knocks off VT in Lincoln and sets up a strong run through the season and another trip to KC where the demons are exercised and we are BCS bound. Osborne is justified in keeping Callahan, Callahan is justified by performing. Alabama situation is avoided.

Osborne giving Callahan another chance and Callahan being able to turn it around and prove that this year was a fluke by having a huge run next year is the best case scenario for the Nebraska program, its fans and for the sake of continuity. If Callahan is fired and another coach comes in and turns things around, it will be good in the short term, but the long term is still unknown(is the guy going to stick around, can he replicate the feat, is he doing things the right way to get back to the top). If Osborne hires another coach that leads the Big Red to nowhere real fast, he will tarnish his legacy and further solidify the Huskers tailspin into oblivion that he started the day he stepped down.

No offense but have you considered that maybe just maybe that last year was the fluke season and 2004, 2005 and 2007 is the norm? Funny how Solich had one real bad year 7-7 but he was a hack but Callahan just having 3 fluke season out of four.

Well, 2 successive years of progress built up to this year and then it fell off the chart. Like I said, it may not be apparent to all, but it would be ideal if Callahan gets another shot and then turns it around to keep some sense of continuity to avoid an Alabama-like situation. Nick Saban can't even fix that mess. Some don't believe this, but it could actually get worse for the long term if a bad decision is made. If a good selection is made for a new coach, then it might be moot, but it is unknown at this point.

I must have missed this progress the second year unless you mean that they actually qualified for a bowl game.

5-6 to 7-4 to 9-3 is progress, that's a no-brainer. Progress based on where things were before Callahan came here, well that is debatable. Facts are facts. 2004 was really rough. 2005 started out pretty good, then nose-dived, then the team came together and finished strong. 2006 started off well and the team played pretty solid the whole season. I'm not saying Callahan should or shouldn't be given a chance, I am saying that from Osborne's standpoint, the best move may be to give him another shot. If next season is bad, then his decision is really easy. Osborne wants to do everything to avoid making a decision on the coach like Pederson did 4 years ago. I will not be one bit surprised if it is announced that Callahan is being retained and 2-3 assistants either voluntarily resign or are fired.

If your calling this progress then you better not ever had complain about Solich because he was a god compared to Callahan. It's not hard to call progress if the year prior was 6-6 or 5-7.

Once again, read the whole post, I am not saying this year is progress. 5-6 to 7-4 to 9-3 is measurable progress. It might not be enough to save his job, though, after this season. With Solich we went from 13-0 to 9-4 out of the shoot, with lots of "close losses" and then all the way to a title run, then to 7-7. By 2003, many were displeased with letting him go after a 9-3 season with 3 washout losses. I think that shows the lowered expectations right there and how things had changed in just 6 years. 4 years later, we are no better, eventhough this year appeared to be the year it might come back.

If Callahan is retained, I will support that decision. If he is fired, I will support that as well. Hell, even if Pelini becomes coach, I will eventually get behind that, as little as I will like it. I do not envy Tom Osborne, he has a very difficult decision.

Sat, Sep 17 Pittsburgh - Memorial Stadium 7 - 6 (W)

ABC

Sat, Oct 01 Iowa State 23 Memorial Stadium 27 - 20 (W) (2OT)

ABC

Sat, Oct 08 Texas Tech 15 Memorial Stadium 31 - 34 (L)

TBS

Sat, Oct 15 Baylor - at Waco, Texas 23 - 14 (W)

FSN Pay Per View

Sat, Oct 22 Missouri - at Columbia, Mo. 24 - 41 (L)

FSN

Sat, Oct 29 Oklahoma - Memorial Stadium 24 - 31 (L)

ABC

Sat, Nov 05 Kansas - at Lawrence, Kan. 15 - 40 (L)

None

Sat, Nov 12 Kansas State - Memorial Stadium 27 - 25 (W)

Fri, Nov 25 Colorado - at Boulder, Colo. 30 - 3 (W)

ABC

Anyone get the feeling that if it was'nt for Colorado and Kansas St that the question of even keeping Callahan would be to funny.

Frank...is that you??? You bring his name up in almost every single post you make. REDSTEEL=FRANK ????

Ugh...

I'll try real hard to keep this short...

Worst dream:

We keep the whole staff, but they have a flukey season to beat all seasons...Maybe even win the MNC.

Contract extensions for EVERYBODY!!!, then the following 10 years we win no more than 5-7 games.

Best dream:

Buckeye 37 starts to innitiate sex - OFTEN. chuckleshuffle

Fixed it for ya! :lol:

And to be honest, if it's 12-0, I don't care who the coach is!

That's not true: Not Steve Spurrier!

Anyone? Besides Spurrier?

Hmmm.. Okay. Well what if TO hires one of these cool cats - yah!

020.jpg

Hey, I'm Jared. I've got sweet onion terriyaki skillz.

verizon.jpg

Oh yah? Well, can you hear MY skillz? Can you hear 'em now?

ups-china-to-us.jpg

Excuse me guys, let me boar you to death and just draw my skillz... on this here whiteboard.

Hey has anyone seen my sweater vest?

I'd take 100 Solich's over one Clownahan anyday. As far as going 9-4 his first year, well when most of the team graduates typically the next year is a little rough. Even USC has found it difficult replacing Leinart and winning every game. In 1998, we had 2 QB's with zero experience. Most of the talent left with the close of the 1997 season. It's kind of like TO's first year when comparing it to Devaney's last year.