An Inconvenient Truth

Hey,

It's Klotz. I'm back in the house tonight after a long road trip to BFE in which I listened to the opinions of many Husker fans on Big Red Reaction and Becca. I usually listen to little that people say, as their opinion influences T.O. about as much as mine does. Anyhow, as I'm listening to all these varying opinions on what people think would be the best for the football program, a solitary truth resonated in my mind without ever being mentioned on the air: T.O.'s decision is bound to piss some fans off, no matter what.

1. If Osborne decides to keep Cally and can some assistants, that will polarize Husker Nation similar to the Solich situation.

2. If Osborne hires Gill, many people will complain that he will run the option and he's unproven.

3. If Osborne hires Pelini, many people will complain that his attitude is shaky and he's unproven.

4. If Osborne hires outside the program, many people will complain that whoever the hire is, won't respect Husker traditions.

Bottom Line: Osborne can't win in the short term. No matter what, prepare to be at least slightly disappointed tomorrow.

Real Fans will respect his decision and get behind this program. Fairweather Fred and the like can go ahead and burn their gear and rescind their season tickets. That way, my son and I can scoop them up and watch in the years ahead as we return to competitive respectability.

Hey,

It's Klotz. I'm back in the house tonight after a long road trip to BFE in which I listened to the opinions of many Husker fans on Big Red Reaction and Becca. I usually listen to little that people say, as their opinion influences T.O. about as much as mine does. Anyhow, as I'm listening to all these varying opinions on what people think would be the best for the football program, a solitary truth resonated in my mind without ever being mentioned on the air: T.O.'s decision is bound to piss some fans off, no matter what.

1. If Osborne decides to keep Cally and can some assistants, that will polarize Husker Nation similar to the Solich situation.

2. If Osborne hires Gill, many people will complain that he will run the option and he's unproven.

3. If Osborne hires Pelini, many people will complain that his attitude is shaky and he's unproven.

4. If Osborne hires outside the program, many people will complain that whoever the hire is, won't respect Husker traditions.

Bottom Line: Osborne can't win in the short term. No matter what, prepare to be at least slightly disappointed tomorrow.

Real Fans will respect his decision and get behind this program. Fairweather Fred and the like can go ahead and burn their gear and rescind their season tickets. That way, my son and I can scoop them up and watch in the years ahead as we return to competitive respectability.

Agreed...seems to me some are actually expecting the worst...

Oh well...I will support whomever TO chooses...event though I too have a favorite...

Why can't you hire someone with the understanding that they must embrace your traditions? At this point whoever comes in will most undoubtedly embrace and rekindle your traditions for this will be one the reasons Callahan will be fired. If you guys hire someone say like Chris Peterson out of Boise State, he will do his homework on Nebraska football and would probably bring in Huskers of the past to help him. Whoever the next head coach will be, he will recognise early on where Bill failed and strive to solve those problems.

While you make some great points and I do agree with them, I disagree with this statement. The only way TO doesn't win in the short term is if he picks #1 and keeps FHCBC. While the others might like coach P over coach G or K it pails in comparison to any coach compared to FHCBC right now. If TO retains FHCBC I think it will cause a reaction much worse than four years ago when FHCFS was canned. But at least back then there was a ray of hope with a new regime coming in. If FHCBC stays, the fans will go into a state of depression faced with another year of that buffoon at the helm with memories of the heinous losses this team suffered fresh in their minds. Regardless, the only thing that will announced tomorrow is that fact that FHCBC has been relieved of his duties. The announcement of his replacement will be 7-10 days out.

Hey,

You are spot on.

The only thing the fans, us.... the only thing we can do is support, root for and have realistic expectations upon whoever Osborne is able to hire. Please fans.... when the new coaches arrive, have reasonable expectations. This program is way worse off now than when Callahan took over. Do not, I repeat, do not expect much more than maybe mid-conference play for some time. This program will take years to rebuild and anything other than near blind faith support from the fans will only hold it back.

Whoever is hired will be making real strides if this team next year makes a bowl game and is simply reasonably competitive against the leagues elite.

We are in for the long haul. Do not expect much for the next 3 - 4 years.

Actually, I already feel sorry for the next coach...

Hey,

I dont think too many people were exactly thrilled with the hiring of Cally, but he was given a fair opportunity to keep those that really liked him and turn those that were on the fence. For the most part, he turned off the fence riders instead of bringing them in. Everyone wanted Cally to succeed. Nobody wanted NU to jump on the coaching carousel. Asumming Os hires a qualified candidate, I think everyone will give this person a fair shot. This is certainly not a "no win" situation. I think this is a great opportunity! :)

I can agree with your last paragraph except for your first sentence. Maybe you didnt mean it the way I'm taking it, but I'm getting tired of the sanctimony of some Husker fans calling into question the fan-hood of others like those damned ESPN commercials. I may not agree with other fans' opinions and may wonder whether some are mentally sound, but that doesnt mean they're not fans. Those who threaten lives, are not what I would consider a good example of how to support your program, but those people, like 'em or not, are still fans. With that being said, if I dont like the direction that TO takes the program, I will absolutely voice my displeasure. Whether I respect the decision or not won't come into play since its not like any decision will be reversed on my account unless there's enough people with cash and power that feel the same way I do. In no way would that make me less of a fan. It may just mean that someone like yourself doesnt like my particular brand of passion.

Hey,

You are spot on.

The only thing the fans, us.... the only thing we can do is support, root for and have realistic expectations upon whoever Osborne is able to hire. Please fans.... when the new coaches arrive, have reasonable expectations. This program is way worse off now than when Callahan took over. Do not, I repeat, do not expect much more than maybe mid-conference play for some time. This program will take years to rebuild and anything other than near blind faith support from the fans will only hold it back.

Whoever is hired will be making real strides if this team next year makes a bowl game and is simply reasonably competitive against the leagues elite.

So far as I'm concerned, we're Nebraska. It's us against the world. Yeah, we're a nobody team from the sh#t middle of nowhere. But you know what? So long as our coach demands excellence of his players, has no tolerance for quitters like we saw this season, and respects our time-honored traditions like his life depended on it, I'll have his back come hell or high water. I believe that so long as the REAL Nebraska spirit is alive, the winning will take care of itself. I think it's high time we brought the proper respect back to the red N once more.

X

Hey,

You are spot on.

So far as I'm concerned, we're Nebraska. It's us against the world. Yeah, we're a nobody team from the sh#t middle of nowhere. But you know what? So long as our coach demands excellence of his players, has no tolerance for quitters like we saw this season, and respects our time-honored traditions like his life depended on it, I'll have his back come hell or high water. I believe that so long as the REAL Nebraska spirit is alive, the winning will take care of itself. I think it's high time we brought the proper respect back to the red N once more.

X

and some defense would not hurt.

I think anything other then keeping Cally will make most of us happy. I will root on which ever coach TO decides on but I think everyone sees a change is needed.

Another point is that I wonder how many coaches opinions may have changed after the way the "fans" have reacted to Cally and Coz this year (I mean the nasty stuff). I am hoping that the behavior wouldn't scare away possible candidates.

I think anything other then keeping Cally will make most of us happy. I will root on which ever coach TO decides on but I think everyone sees a change is needed.

Another point is that I wonder how many coaches opinions may have changed after the way the "fans" have reacted to Cally and Coz this year (I mean the nasty stuff). I am hoping that the behavior wouldn't scare away possible candidates.

The amount of money that we are likely going to offer will ensure good candidates won't be scared away. Rabid, crazy fans with unrealistic expectations are a reality for every college football team that has fans at all. No one looks at a job and says "It's a great program with world-class facilities and they are going to pay me millions of dollars, but I just can't handle those crazy fans. Particularly the ones on Huskerboard...."

:)

In answer to your question, I do not think that the Nebraska job is an attractive one. One thing to consider is that it is more likely that Osborne will settle for what he can get rather than pick who he'd like. The reason that I think that Pelini or Gill are the most likely is because I'd be hard pressed to see established coaches like Johnson, Peterson, Kelly, or many others actually wanting to come to NU. Gill would certainly come (you'd think) and everyone seems to think Pelini would take the job if offered. Would he? Maybe.

NU is a fringe top 35 or 40 program with top 5 expectations which really is unusual and unrealistic. Nu does have top 3 history with top 10 facilities, which helps. Still, do not expect that Osborne has people pounding down his door to take the job.

Well who in the hell in their right mind would 'want to' come here and coach?

Are you kidding me? The expectations are so outraguous. Granted we have talent NOW, But it is young talent. We are just to needy, want to win right f'ng now, to see that. We, as a fan base, have no patience.

GOOD LUCK GETTING A GOOD, LONG TERM COACH. won't happen.