I've been thinking it would be Pelini, but now I believe it's Gill

I'll state up front that I am purely speculating, but it seems to me the evidence is building ...

- Salary of around $1 million. Who, from the list of candidates being mentioned (including Pelini) is going to come to Nebraska for that money? It would be a huge salary increase for TG.

- Matt Davison snd others stated that the new coach would be in place soon. Again, most of the candidates being mentioned are still coaching games. Not Gill. And for those that say there is a requirement that any state job be posted for 5 days ... (tell that to Frank Solich). Who else interviewed for the job when Tom went over Byrne's head to hire Frank?

- Which leads to another reason I think it's Gill. Sometimes the best way to predict what a guy is going to do in the future is to look at what he's done in the past. When in doubt, go with what you know. Tom knows and trusts Turner with his most prized possession.

- The biggest message Osborne has tried convey since returning is that Husker football is about tradition and loyalty. There are no other coaches out there (with deep Husker roots) that are as qualified as Gill.

- Many former players still harbor resentment over the firing of Solich and other loyal Husker coaches. Gill would have the support of every player that played at Nebraska while he was here (this would include almost every Husker that has played in the NFL in the last 25 years).

- For better or worse, hiring Gill is the "Husker Way".

OK. Fire away. It's just an opinion based on the small amount of information that has come out since Pederson was fired. Speaking of that... How could you keep the hiring of the new HC at Nebraska so quiet? Maybe you could do it if you were a committee of one and you planned on hiring a former employee?

I'll state up front that I am purely speculating, but it seems to me the evidence is building ...

- Salary of around $1 million. Who, from the list of candidates being mentioned (including Pelini) is going to come to Nebraska for that money? It would be a huge salary increase for TG.

- Matt Davison snd others stated that the new coach would be in place soon. Again, most of the candidates being mentioned are still coaching games. Not Gill. And for those that say there is a requirement that any state job be posted for 5 days ... (tell that to Frank Solich). Who else interviewed for the job when Tom went over Byrne's head to hire Frank?

- Which leads to another reason I think it's Gill. Sometimes the best way to predict what a guy is going to do in the future is to look at what he's done in the past. When in doubt, go with what you know. Tom knows and trusts Turner with his most prized possession.

- The biggest message Osborne has tried convey since returning is that Husker football is about tradition and loyalty. There are no other coaches out there (with deep Husker roots) that are as qualified as Gill.

- Many former players still harbor resentment over the firing of Solich and other loyal Husker coaches. Gill would have the support of every player that played at Nebraska while he was here (this would include almost every Husker that has played in the NFL in the last 25 years).

- For better or worse, hiring Gill is the "Husker Way".

OK. Fire away. It's just an opinion based on the small amount of information that has come out since Pederson was fired. Speaking of that... How could you keep the hiring of the new HC at Nebraska so quiet? Maybe you could do it if you were a committee of one and you planned on hiring a former employee?

I see your point. I'm a Pelini guy, we need a defensive minded coach, obviously. However, if Turner is the guy, he would have the support of all former players and at least half the fans initially (then more as they get over the shcok). The big question then would be staff and especially the DC. Who wouold that be???

Which coaching candidate shares TO's values?

If the story written the day after Osborne hires a head coach starts this way ...

Today Tom Osborne stayed true to his values and hired the most logical choice as the next head coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

How would the next line read?

If the story written the day after Osborne hires a head coach starts this way ...

Today Tom Osborne stayed true to his values and hired the most logical choice as the next head coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Ron Brown

The new Nebraska Head Coach is Turner Gill.

Ron Brown

What has Ron Brown been doing since leaving NU? Where has he been coaching? What is the record?

Ron Brown

What has Ron Brown been doing since leaving NU? Where has he been coaching? What is the record?

I don't think he's actively coaching. He was doing some work for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

I agree with your assessment regarding Turner Gill. I feel he is at the point in his development as a coach where he is ready for Nebraska's program. He is the only one I can think of who can pretty well unite all the factions that have developed since Coach Solich was fired. He is also the one person I can think of who brings the level of integrity Coach Osborne is looking for. I am very excited at the prospect of havine Coach Gill at Nebraska. I think he is the best qualified person for the job. That said, I will support whom ever Coach Osborne brings in and I will continue to support the team.

Bob

I agree with your assessment regarding Turner Gill. I feel he is at the point in his development as a coach where he is ready for Nebraska's program. He is the only one I can think of who can pretty well unite all the factions that have developed since Coach Solich was fired. He is also the one person I can think of who brings the level of integrity Coach Osborne is looking for. I am very excited at the prospect of havine Coach Gill at Nebraska. I think he is the best qualified person for the job. That said, I will support whom ever Coach Osborne brings in and I will continue to support the team.

Bob

:yeah

Only problem I might have would be if he kept BC. Even then I would have to listen to the reason why and evaluate what happens next. :dunno

Ron Brown

Pelini has previously stated that he will be part of any coaching staff that he would put together, no?