Was it a mistake?

NPhusker

Lou Holtz is old and confused. He needs to be in a home. He pees his pants I hear.

True, and yet even He could see something that Callahan couldn't, that Nebraska's D was the worst ever.

Didn't he also say that the North would come down to Mizzou and KU, something that he was ridiculed for? I know he seems like a senile, stuttering, slurring old lady, but he does know something about football.

The day the Huskers hired Callahan was the day I quit paying real close attention to the program. I knew he was going to bring in his West Coast crap and take the must punishing run game in college football and dump it for some trendy throw the ball all the time nonsense.

Solich was all belief with no science but like any good preacher, he had faith going for him. Callahan was all science with no belief.

I for one have said just about the whole time that Callahan should be fired, but i am just curious how many people wanted to keep Callahan? When Solich got fired i bet about half wanted him to stay wanted him and stay and half wanted him gone. So was just curious about the percentage of people who wanted Callahan to stay?

I heard one person wanted to keep Clownahan as HC...that person was Kevin Cosgrave... :sarcasm

Continuity in staff has been mentioned as an issue going forward, and I agree that can be a big problem in terms of recruiting. On the other hand with the expected return of the walk-on program and in-state recruiting I think we'll see an influx of talent that Callahan was ignoring. These will be people that WANT to be Huskers and won't complain about the cold weather or the lack of whatever in Lincoln. The walk-on program has given the team a lot of its heart and soul in the past and I think that will be a big help.

This time we have TO looking for the right guy, and he'll no doubt find him. So I expect continuity will not be much of an issue once we start rolling again.

:restore

I for one have said just about the whole time that Callahan should be fired, but i am just curious how many people wanted to keep Callahan? When Solich got fired i bet about half wanted him to stay wanted him and stay and half wanted him gone. So was just curious about the percentage of people who wanted Callahan to stay?

I was a big supporter of Callahan, more or less giving him a chance to make things work, but I support the decision to fire him. It is awful hard to defend the performance of the team as a whole. The second half against CU was a microcosm of this season and a reminder of why he was being fired. He did a few good things while he was here, but sadly, it is time to move on.

I agree. I supported him as well and will support the new coach no matter who it is. This season was just atrocious and can't be defended.

I think the thing that sucks most about the whole situation is a lack of continuity. It comes with the territory but it's one thing that Osborne spoke to as being a key to success. I completely agree. If NU is unable to recover this year's recruiting classes, we could very well see a "hole" in the team 3 to 4 years from now. It's nice to hear a guy like Osborne talking about big picture things like that, while a lot of people don't.

A lot of people are rejoicing. I am not. It could very well get a lot worse before it gets any better

I agree with you Dave. We are in uncharted waters here and things could get really rocky if we don't get the right coach here and soon.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

I always dreaded the day when TO would finally retire. It came far too soon. One thing that helped TO was that Devaney stayed on as AD. I'm optimistic but still aprehensive. There are sure to be some pot holes in the road we have chosen. Let he who fills our sails with wind direct our course.

...T_O_B

I was a big supporter of Callahan, more or less giving him a chance to make things work, but I support the decision to fire him. It is awful hard to defend the performance of the team as a whole. The second half against CU was a microcosm of this season and a reminder of why he was being fired. He did a few good things while he was here, but sadly, it is time to move on.

I agree. I supported him as well and will support the new coach no matter who it is. This season was just atrocious and can't be defended.

I think the thing that sucks most about the whole situation is a lack of continuity. It comes with the territory but it's one thing that Osborne spoke to as being a key to success. I completely agree. If NU is unable to recover this year's recruiting classes, we could very well see a "hole" in the team 3 to 4 years from now. It's nice to hear a guy like Osborne talking about big picture things like that, while a lot of people don't.

A lot of people are rejoicing. I am not. It could very well get a lot worse before it gets any better

I agree with you Dave. We are in uncharted waters here and things could get really rocky if we don't get the right coach here and soon.

I always dreaded the day when TO would finally retire. It came far too soon. One thing that helped TO was that Devaney stayed on as AD. I'm optimistic but still aprehensive. There are sure to be some pot holes in the road we have chosen. Let he who fills our sails with wind direct our course.

...T_O_B

and may he steer the ship safely through troubled waters on so many impending moonless and stormy nights.....

I don't take any pleasure in BC getting fired because this failure puts the program at risk, potentially for a long while. However, it was inevitable. I wanted BC to succeed but the likelihood of that was rapidly going down the tubes. There were some bright spots in BC's experiment but all in all I think TO is right about there being a loss of identity and a systemic problem. I think the problems have become so serious that the best course of action is to give someone else a chance. I hope the new coach succeeds but it is going to be tough. I think TO was left with little choice.

I think BC's biggest mistake was not taking care of the defense situation. I almost feel like he conducted himself like the quarterback's coach or the offensive coach. The demise of the defense is just unbelievable and unacceptable. I can see no way to rationalize away the fact that we have on of the worst defenses in the country and give up four- or five-hundred yards per game. That's about the only consistent aspect of BC's team.

I think Pederson was also a weight around his neck. That's not his fault, but that's just the nature of the situation.

:yeah

TO said that he would have kept Callahan had he gone 8-4, and maybe if he had gone 7-5.

What this tells me is that TO believes Callahan is a solid character with integrity; his downfall was lack of ability to produce results. Callahan is a good coach, but it just didn't work out. No need to bag on him like he was the worst ever, because it's just not true.

I thought cally should have more time, but based that on the same reasoning TO applied, I thought it would be hard to fire a coach with a 6-6 record and a bowl game. Cally made it easy by losing the CU game.

Two losing seasons out of four won't get it done at nU.

I still fear the revolving door for coaches.

ya rolls the dice and takes yer chances.

the __________ (insert new coach here) experiment begins!!

:woo:thumbs

TO said that he would have kept Callahan had he gone 8-4, and maybe if he had gone 7-5.

What this tells me is that TO believes Callahan is a solid character with integrity; his downfall was lack of ability to produce results. Callahan is a good coach, but it just didn't work out. No need to bag on him like he was the worst ever, because it's just not true.

:yeah

I will remember the Callahan Era with equal parts gladness and sadness. Lots of fun, exciting games, lots of games I'd just as soon never remember.

At the end, Bill Callahan wasn't the right guy for this program. The list of people who are "not the right guy for this program" is exceedingly long, though. It doesn't mean that he's anything other than a bad fit here.

I wish him well in the future, and much success. :thumbs

As many of you know, I didn't want a coaching change. It wasn't that I was enamored of Callahan or anything, but I didn't want to see NU go through another wrenching 3-4 years of turmoil. That Colorado game just did it for me, though.

It all just got too weird. I've never, ever seen anything like it. I'm still scratching my head and wondering.

I even reached the point of wondering if certain players were intentionally undermining the program--the defense looked so bad, so nasty, I couldn't imagine how that could just be from poor coaching. And some of those players just didn't seem to be playing.

All that doesn't matter, though--because if a coach lets a team get to that point, there is a problem with management. And the HC is the manager, and is ultimately responsible.

I'm still not sure what happened, but thank God he's gone. I hope he does well elsewhere, but it sure didn't work out at NU.