Turner Gill is the next HC

Its all playing out now. I said that a meeting with TO and Turner in late July was the PLAN B to the 2007 football season. Turner met with TO for 2 hrs 45 mins at a Lincoln restaurant in which I worked at the time. Being a rabid fan, I can pick Turner out in any crowd, plus, it was easy because when Turner walked up to the table, TO said hello Turner. This event is a FACT!!

I truly believe now that Perlman had a backup plan, PLAN B, to a possible dismal season and TO was involved.

Listening to TO in today's press conference. He said he talks to Turner once a week. I know they are friends and this is to be expected. Then he said he talked to McCarney, Cotton, and Sanders (Cotton and Sanders are without jobs now) in the last week or two.

This situation now smells funny or I need to shower. I think Osborne let some cats out of the bag.

Here are my assumptions:

1. TO is going to build a team of coaches to take the Huskers back to the promise land.

2. TO is looking for integrity and tradition.

3. Turner is the first choice as HC, having HC experience now.

4. Barney Cotton will be the OC (O-Line) under Turner, only given 1 year to update offense at NU.

5. Marvin Sanders will be the co-DC (DB's) under Turner. Built a better defense at North Carolina

6. Jimmy Williams will be the co-DC (linebackers) under Turner.

Say what you will. Being an initial Pelini fan, this is the route to go now. Seriously, think about it. They are Nebraska guys, they know tradition, they are can recruit, and they will win at a big football school.

Don't be caught up in the "what have you done for me lately" situation. These guys were at schools that are no where near the Nebraska atmosphere. Put them in Nebraska, they will succeed.

:):)

Its all playing out now. I said that a meeting with TO and Turner in late July was the PLAN B to the 2007 football season. Turner met with TO for 2 hrs 45 mins at a Lincoln restaurant in which I worked at the time. Being a rabid fan, I can pick Turner out in any crowd, plus, it was easy because when Turner walked up to the table, TO said hello Turner. This event is a FACT!!

I truly believe now that Perlman had a backup plan, PLAN B, to a possible dismal season and TO was involved.

Listening to TO in today's press conference. He said he talks to Turner once a week. I know they are friends and this is to be expected. Then he said he talked to McCarney, Cotton, and Sanders (Cotton and Sanders are without jobs now) in the last week or two.

This situation now smells funny or I need to shower. I think Osborne let some cats out of the bag.

Here are my assumptions:

1. TO is going to build a team of coaches to take the Huskers back to the promise land.

4. Barney Cotton will be the OC (O-Line) under Turner, only given 1 year to update offense at NU.

5. Marvin Sanders will be the co-DC (DB's) under Turner. Built a better defense at North Carolina

Say what you will. Being an initial Pelini fan, this is the route to go now. Seriously, think about it. They are Nebraska guys, they know tradition, they are can recruit, and they will win at a big football school.

Don't be caught up in the "what have you done for me lately" situation. These guys were at schools that are no where near the Nebraska atmosphere. Put them in Nebraska, they will succeed.

Sounds feasible; I have no doubt that there was a lot of scheming in the background. A question, though; why did Perlemen blow millions of $$$ of taxpayer money through contract extensions, then? If this is true, isn't Perlement guilty of some violation of the law? This would have been, at the very least, highly unethical.

As much as I want Marvin Sanders in Lincoln.....he may be my favorite "former" coach.....it is well documented and publicized that Sanders is out of coaching for a financial reason.....after being dismissed at NC, he still gets $$$$ and needs one more year out of coaching to become "vested within the state"...

His name is brought up almost weekly on local sports talk, and each time, the hosts always say the same thing..... Marvin will sit out 1 more year, then enter coaching agian....all about $$$$$ (apparently big $$)

I am not sure about the legality....I am not a $$ guy, so some of you can help me out with this, or correct me if I am worng....but positive on the hosts saying that Sanders will sit out another year.

Turner Gill isn't the right choice. If Turner Gill is the Guy I will still be a Husker Fan 4 Life but I will not support Turner Gill, he needs more experience and needs to find a better Defensive Coordinator period.

I understand you are a Pelini guy, I like him too, but what do you mean you will not support Turner Gill? If he comes here and wins I bet you will support him.

Jimmy Williams bio, DC at Buffalo (buffalobulls.com)

During his tenure as a college coach, Williams' teams have posted a combined 32-9 record, including a MAC Championship game berth at Toledo in 2002, a trip to the Division II national championship game at Grand Valley State in 2001 and a bowl win at Nebraska in 2003. Williams also served an internship with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2004.

Williams notes that the motto that reflects his life is the Biblical quote: "Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." (Ecclesiastes 12:13b).

Marvin Sanders bio, ex-DC at North Carolina (tarheelblue.cstv.com):

Marvin Sanders enters his third season as North Carolina's defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach. Under Sanders, Carolina's defense has seen steady improvement. Last season, Carolina moved up over 60 spots in the national rankings from the previous year to rank 42nd in the country. Carolina has several outstanding defensive performances, including holding Virginia to just five points and 199 total offensive yards in a 7-5 victory. The Tar Heels also limited Boston College to just 14 points in a 16-14 win. Carolina held its opponents to an average of 280.4 yards in its five victories.

Barney Cotton bio, ex-OC at Iowa State (cyclones.com):

Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney sold Barney Cotton on becoming his offensive coordinator and offensive line coach in January of 2004. The steady improvement of a young Cyclone offensive unit that averaged 29 points per conference game last season has sold Iowa State on Barney Cotton. The Cyclones’ 339 points last season rank third in school history. For the first time in the 114-year history of Iowa State football, the Cyclones scored 37 or more points against three straight conference foes. The most impressive feature of Cotton’s 2005 unit was what it accomplished with only one senior starter.

Two of Iowa State’s marquee players have enjoyed strong sophomore seasons after earning freshman All-America honors in Cotton’s first year at ISU. Iowa State quarterback Bret Meyer threw for 2,876 yards last season. Only Seneca Wallace (3,245) of the Seattle Seahawks ever threw for more yards in a single season at Iowa State. Having racked up his impressive career numbers in just 24 games, Meyer is the third-highest rated quarterback in ISU history. His 4,802 two-year passing yardage total ranks fourth on the all-time school list. Meyer tallied 2,999 yards of total offense last season, ranking only behind Wallace’s 3,682 total yards in 14 2002 games.

Wide receiver Todd Blythe has already caught a school-record 18 career TD passes. The two-time first-team all-Big 12 choice already ranks fourth all-time with 1,833 career reception yards. His 19.6 yards per catch last season ranked second nationally. His 1,000 receiving yards last season ranks third on the all-time ISU single-season list as he joined Lane Danielsen (2002) and Tracy Henderson (1983) as the only Cyclones to reach 1,000 receiving yards in a single season.

Cotton’s offensive linemen have made major contributions to Iowa State’s 2005 scoring success. Center Scott Stephenson, playing his first season under Cotton, was named first-team all-Big 12 and is a member of the 2006 Rimington Trophy watch list. Aaron Brant is a pre-season first-team all-Big 12 offensive tackle. In 2004, left tackle Cale Stubbe earned second-team all-Big 12 honors and center Luke Vander Sanden received honorable mention all-league recognition.

Employing a balanced offense that has so well-served Cotton during his career, the Cyclones came on late in 2004, averaging 404.8 yards per game in the final four contests of the regular season. No surprise here, as Cotton had already made a positive impact after successful tenures at Nebraska and New Mexico State.

Sounds feasible; I have no doubt that there was a lot of scheming in the background. A question, though; why did Perlemen blow millions of $$$ of taxpayer money through contract extensions, then? If this is true, isn't Perlement guilty of some violation of the law? This would have been, at the very least, highly unethical.

One name, Steve Peterson......

Plus, if you have any Business Management experience at all, Plan B is a backup to the current decision.

Here are my assumptions:

Just a little flaw in your theory. Why would Pearlman give Pederson an extention in his contract, and then allow Pederson to turn around to give Callahan an extention?

Did he just like giving money away?

By the way the McCartney that Osborne was talking about was Bill McCartney not the former Iowa St coach.

Turner Gill isn't the right choice. If Turner Gill is the Guy I will still be a Husker Fan 4 Life but I will not support Turner Gill, he needs more experience and needs to find a better Defensive Coordinator period.

I understand you are a Pelini guy, I like him too, but what do you mean you will not support Turner Gill? If he comes here and wins I bet you will support him.

If he wins than I guess that I'll just have to eat my words but I still don't think that he'll be the guy to bring us back. He'll have a losing season the first year and might do a little bit better and than he'll be more of a grade scale where he'll do good one year and do bad the next. But thats just my opinion.

You know I get really tired of hearing that Turner Gill needs more experience. Lets talk about his "experience".

1) He is now the 2nd year head coach at Buffalo University. The top person in the day to day operations and recruiting at a university re-building their football program.

2) Former starting quarterback to the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers who came within a whisker of the National Title.

3) Former Assistant Coach at the University of Nebraska. Active in recruiting and teaching offense and quarterback positions during the National Championship years of the mid 90's.

The one item I can speak to having been a close friend to a player on all 3 of those National Championship teams is this, the man knows what it takes to recruit, teach and win the Nebraksa way. I thought Tom Osborne stated it pretty well today after speaking with former CU coach MCCartney, he said," that you hated to play Nebraska, because for 10 days after, you would still be feeling it." That way of coaching is what Gill learned while at Nebraska; living it, playing it; coaching it.

The major item that i think Gill will bring to the table is the pride and tradition of playing for the University. That comes from dedication and a relentless practice regimen. Having talked to my friend, and listening to comments from Jason Peter, that is what is lacking at this time. When Nebraska practiced during the week, every down and scrimmage was a war. Play after play, it was 100% war. The pay-off was Saturday when those teams would PUNISH others into submission from the preparations of the prior week. THAT is what Gill brings to the table. That philosophy of extensive, physical preparation that completely dominates the opponent. I'm not doubting that Pelini has that mentality too, but Gill brings home all the traditions and knowledge of these former teams, and will coach them the way they were coached during the glory years. Every down is a war, dominate the opponent through strength and speed, and win the Nebraska way, with class and honor! GBR!

I think Gill will be the new Head Coach but not because of anything you saw. When Tom asked what qualities he was looking for in the new head coach he didn't say, 'A great defensive mind' or 'Someone who will win games' he said he wanted a man of integrity (Turner), a man who knows football (Turner) a good motivator (Turner). All signs point to Turner Gill. For those of you who think he's not ready consider this: Tom Osborne wasn't ready either but Devaney took him under his wing and mentored him. That is what will happen here. Turner is not going to come into the Head Coach position alone. Osborne will be right behind him helping him to make every decision and always with the teams' best interest at heart. I would much rather have that situation than to bring in someone who could embarrass the university...again.. Sorry but Bo Pelini makes me nervous. He might have a good defensive mind but one thing we've learned from the Callahan fiasco is that we need someone who has a total football mind, not just all offensive, like we had with Billy C.

Turner will also bring a ton of healing to a very injured program. THAT is significant. He will bring back that sense of tradition and pride that has made us a great football team.

Whoever gets chosen though, I will support. May the best man win!