A new day, a new coach..

The longer the day drags on, the more apparent it is that while everyone is happy to see Callahan gone, no matter who Osborne picks as the next guy, large numbers of people will be unhappy. A look at coaches with the most talk about them.

Pelini - Lots of people very pro Bo, and a very large amount of people anti Bo.

Pros - The man knows defense, his numbers back this up. Known as motivator. Knows what will be expected at NU as he has been here before.

Cons - Some people(including LSU fans) are all riled from a couple games where the defense let about 30 points up. Not known as a passionate recruiter. No head coaching experience, other than the 2003 Alamo Bowl.

Overall - AT the end of it, no one knows exactly how well he would work out as the HC. He could be the next Bob Stoops, or he could be Ron Prince.

Turner Gill - Another big name, though there is not nearly as many support him as Pelini.

Pros - A NU icon, he knows what it is to be a Husker. He knows what he would be stepping into, and what the expectations are. Has shown great promise at Buffalo, getting them to 5-7(5-3 in the MAC). His offensive system is a bit of everything and would work well to whatever players he has.

Cons - Limited HC experience, and it is at Buffalo, not exactly big time football.

Overall - Once again, no way of telling how well he would work out, he could turn out to be an Urban Meyer, but could Francione.

Paul Johnson - Head coach at Navy, in case anyone doesnt know.

Pros - He is winning consistantly at Navy, a team that doesnt get stared recruits. Gets his offense to work for whatever he has for players(he was the OC at Hawaii also, so he isnt just triple-option).

Cons - No real track record for recruiting(Hawaii doesnt travel outside the islands for recruiting, and Navy doesnt recruit the same as the rest of the teams) . Lost to 1-AA Delaware. Teams are defensivly challenged. No experience with the expectations and stoplight he would have here.

Overall - With the right staff he may work out well, but it is back to the Meyer and Fran toss up again.

Brian Kelly - 1st year coach at Cincinnati.

Pros - has won where ever he has been, seems to get a lot out of his players. Seems to be on top of many people's short lists.

Cons - The reputation for winning comes from Div II Grand Valley State with 118-35-2 in 13 seasons, at Central Michigan he was only 3 games over .500(19-16), and while it CMU had been pretty bad before he got there, it is just a MAC team. Job Hopper, I would have reservations with someone who would leave a job after only 1 year.

Overall - Back to the Meyer vs Fran thing.

There are more names getting thrown around, but the likes of Glenn Mason(come on,123-121-1 career record), Rich Rodriguez(does anyone really think he would leave WVU?), Jim Grobe(Not likely to leave Wake) and a host of other names with issues like these.

If it were up to me, I would pick Pelini. I think he is closer to being the next big thing than anyone else who is a realistic option. He may be a bit rough around the edges, but I would take that over the facade Callahan tended to put on any day. Sure, his defense has given up points at times, but find me any DC who hasnt. The rules are set up to favor the offense, and promote scoring. Previous head coaching experience is somewhat over rated to me. Osborne didnt have any, Stoops didnt have any. They were, however surrounded by winning and very high expectations as assistants, something some of the guys with experience have not had coming out of the mid-majors where 7-5 is acceptable, and often nets extended contracts.

At the end of the day though, there are going to be people who will be filled with panic no matter who becomes the next guy. What needs to happen regardless, is us as fans all need to unite and give our whole support to whoever the next guy may be. We cant have this fractured family that we have had for the last 4 years.

The longer the day drags on, the more apparent it is that while everyone is happy to see Callahan gone, no matter who Osborne picks as the next guy, large numbers of people will be unhappy. A look at coaches with the most talk about them.

Pros - The man knows defense, his numbers back this up. Known as motivator. Knows what will be expected at NU as he has been here before.

Cons - Some people(including LSU fans) are all riled from a couple games where the defense let about 30 points up. Not known as a passionate recruiter. No head coaching experience, other than the 2003 Alamo Bowl.

Overall - AT the end of it, no one knows exactly how well he would work out as the HC. He could be the next Bob Stoops, or he could be Ron Prince.

Turner Gill - Another big name, though there is not nearly as many support him as Pelini.

Pros - A NU icon, he knows what it is to be a Husker. He knows what he would be stepping into, and what the expectations are. Has shown great promise at Buffalo, getting them to 5-7(5-3 in the MAC). His offensive system is a bit of everything and would work well to whatever players he has.

Cons - Limited HC experience, and it is at Buffalo, not exactly big time football.

Overall - Once again, no way of telling how well he would work out, he could turn out to be an Urban Meyer, but could Francione.

Pros - He is winning consistantly at Navy, a team that doesnt get stared recruits. Gets his offense to work for whatever he has for players(he was the OC at Hawaii also, so he isnt just triple-option).

Cons - No real track record for recruiting(Hawaii doesnt travel outside the islands for recruiting, and Navy doesnt recruit the same as the rest of the teams) . Lost to 1-AA Delaware. Teams are defensivly challenged. No experience with the expectations and stoplight he would have here.

Overall - With the right staff he may work out well, but it is back to the Meyer and Fran toss up again.

Pros - has won where ever he has been, seems to get a lot out of his players. Seems to be on top of many people's short lists.

Cons - The reputation for winning comes from Div II Grand Valley State with 118-35-2 in 13 seasons, at Central Michigan he was only 3 games over .500(19-16), and while it CMU had been pretty bad before he got there, it is just a MAC team. Job Hopper, I would have reservations with someone who would leave a job after only 1 year.

There are more names getting thrown around, but the likes of Glenn Mason(come on,123-121-1 career record), Rich Rodriguez(does anyone really think he would leave WVU?), Jim Grobe(Not likely to leave Wake) and a host of other names with issues like these.

If it were up to me, I would pick Pelini. I think he is closer to being the next big thing than anyone else who is a realistic option. He may be a bit rough around the edges, but I would take that over the facade Callahan tended to put on any day. Sure, his defense has given up points at times, but find me any DC who hasnt. The rules are set up to favor the offense, and promote scoring. Previous head coaching experience is somewhat over rated to me. Osborne didnt have any, Stoops didnt have any. They were, however surrounded by winning and very high expectations as assistants, something some of the guys with experience have not had coming out of the mid-majors where 7-5 is acceptable, and often nets extended contracts.

At the end of the day though, there are going to be people who will be filled with panic no matter who becomes the next guy. What needs to happen regardless, is us as fans all need to unite and give our whole support to whoever the next guy may be. We cant have this fractured family that we have had for the last 4 years.

Very good points!

Without question TO will not be able to please everybody with his selection. THAT will be up to the next coach...and to do that all he has to do is win...jus' win baby!!! Even the Callahan detractors were beginning to warm up to him at the beginning of this year. Just win...and they will follow...

That said...I'm confident that the indivdual that TO chooses will not embarass the program to the extent that Callahan did. I'm confident that the individual will be a men of integrity.

I dont think money will be a factor at the end of the day. Though it will most likely be dependent on experience, say he hires Gill or Pelini, the 1.2-1.5 is more than fair for a first time guy, but if gets into chasing a bigger name, then the cash will have to go up over the 2 mil mark. If cashing out better than 3 or 4 million(assistant coaches may press that amount closer to the 4 mark) to remove Callahan was a non issue, 500k or so a year difference wont be either.

I beg to differ, I willbe happy with any coach! tis better than Crapahan! the only coach I would be slightly dissapointed in would be Houston nutt, but thats just because i dont like that crazy name of his! well that and, he had a possible Heisman winner in McFadden and still lost 4? games or somethin, SEC or not when you have that kind of talent you should at least be a top ten team. Anyway, wether it be Gill (my #1) or Pelini its all good to me, the thing thats gonna suck is when our new coach is announced I'm gonna be so excited but we'll have to wait till dang April to get our first taste of the new coach, thats too far away!!!!

I think a pro for Pelini and a con for Gill would be assistant coaches. I think Bo would have better assistants coaches ready to come aboard, while Gill would have to get Dr Tom to help him fill his staff.

I've got nothing to back this up, just IMO.

with you on this, i was thinking the same thing when i read your post.

:yeah:dunno

I think a pro for Pelini and a con for Gill would be assistant coaches. I think Bo would have better assistants coaches ready to come aboard, while Gill would have to get Dr Tom to help him fill his staff.

I don't know, if I was an assistant coach who's brain would I want to pick as I moved on in my carrier. Bo's or TO's.

GBR!!!

I don't know, if I was an assistant coach who's brain would I want to pick as I moved on in my carrier. Bo's or TO's.

GBR!!!

TO is not going to pick the assistant coaches. the assistants will report to the HC, not TO.