Mike & Mike in the Morning

MCAT800

Any of you guys catch it this morning??

Eric somebody filling in for the other Mike, not Golic called Husker football the girl at the bar who thinks she's a 10 but really is only a 7.

And he also stated something to the effect that NU isn't a good job.

I think you must have to hate NU to work for ESPN.

Eric somebody filling in for the other Mike, not Golic called Husker football the girl at the bar who thinks she's a 10 but really is only a 7.

Yes this is a job requirement. You also have to throw a football at your own kid in the face.

I don't get it... Who are they comparing it to? Maybe I'm missing something but if Nebraska is a 7, not a 10, then what is Miami? Or Florida State? Or Alabama? All traditional powers who provided many years of entertaining football to this country... only now to be put down by ESPN radio? Michigan has it's ups and down... so does Notre Dame... even Ohio State struggled for many years. So... WHO ARE THEY COMPARING NEBRASKA TO? I don't get it...

If they are saying that we THINK we are a 10, but in reality are a 7, what must they then think of other schools who dominated for much of the 80's and 90's and who are now a little down?

I think all too often "analysts" like to look at only the here and now. They don't see college football for the century-plus history of it... they see LSU and USC (recent strong upswings, after years of being down (USC lost to UCLA a LOT in the 90s)) and they think "Wow, this is the best team I've ever seen!" Well, the "analysts" back in 1984 said Nebraska was the best team ever... so who's right? Nobody knows, especially not ESPN.

Sounds like something Cowherd would say.

If they are saying that we THINK we are a 10, but in reality are a 7, what must they then think of other schools who dominated for much of the 80's and 90's and who are now a little down?

Uhh....I think they would think those schools are also 7's that used to be 10's and still think of themselves as "10's"....and that LSU, Florida, Ohio State, USC are the true 10's of the last 5 years...

I really don't have that much of a problem with what he said...we think of ourselves as a "10"...our expectations are high...and right now calling us a "7" is pretty generous...

I'm not trying to say there isn't a bias in the national media against Nebraska, we all know it, but at this point when someone says we are a former great power that is now largely irrelevant to the national title picture, they're dead on right...until we start winning again and become relevant again, it's really hard for me to take issue with any of the criticism, as much as it all hurts...

I don't get it... Who are they comparing it to? Maybe I'm missing something but if Nebraska is a 7, not a 10, then what is Miami? Or Florida State? Or Alabama? All traditional powers who provided many years of entertaining football to this country... only now to be put down by ESPN radio? Michigan has it's ups and down... so does Notre Dame... even Ohio State struggled for many years. So... WHO ARE THEY COMPARING NEBRASKA TO? I don't get it...

I think all too often "analysts" like to look at only the here and now. They don't see college football for the century-plus history of it... they see LSU and USC (recent strong upswings, after years of being down (USC lost to UCLA a LOT in the 90s)) and they think "Wow, this is the best team I've ever seen!" Well, the "analysts" back in 1984 said Nebraska was the best team ever... so who's right? Nobody knows, especially not ESPN.

I heard another good one tonight....they said that Nebraska ought to play Notre Dame in a bowl game for an interesting match-up. They are just taking pot shots at us every chance they get on ESPN....If your not on the coast, they don't think your for real... And they live in CT....funny!!!! :sarcasm

I agree with the fact that to work 4 ESPN you have to hate NU. A few years back Trev Alberts was part of their College Football news program. Unlike Lou Holtz, Desmond Howard, or even Lee Corso, Alberts rarely if ever touted NU football, despite the fact that they were winning at the time. He, of course, was let go, to be replaced by a crotchety old Louu Holtz who still predicts ND victories even this season!!

Below is my post from another thread explaining what I think of ESPN. It's long so I understand if you don't read.

Okay, this is going to be long...sorry.

:boxosoap:rantdedhoarse:bang

Back in the day, when ESPN showed up, I thought cool, an all sports network. Wow, you talk about setting your expectations too high. ESPN is nothing but a self-promoting, money hungry, puppet of the Disney Corporation. There used to be one person on ESPN with a clue, but I think Trev Alberts got sick of the corporate games and crap that is ESPN. Also, I think he got sick of having to break out the crayons and coloring books to attempt to explain football to that tard Mark May.

This is a little story (I’ve told here before) about when I realized that ESPN was nothing but a cross promoting whore for the little rat at Disney.

The year was 1997. The Nebraska Cornhuskers were number one in the nation. Peyton Manning was, by far, the best player in college football (at least in a high profile position). Of course there were a few problems. If Nebraska won out and played in a bowl game, it was going to be the Orange Bowl. That was a problem for the little money whore that is ESPN. You see, they were not going to carry the Orange Bowl. They had the Rose Bowl that year. In fact, If Tennessee kept wining; they too would go to the Orange Bowl because of the Bowl Alliance (the one the Rose Bowl refused to join). So there we have it, for that pimp Disney to make any real money, they had to somehow make the Rose Bowl relevant. And since its little whore ESPN was more than willing to help out, they went to work to set up a situation whereby they would make more money for their pimp-daddy, good old Mickey Rat.

But their hands were tied right? They just report sports, right? Well, not really. With an important game coming up between Michigan and Notre Dame (I think) the question around ESPN was who should be number one? Should Michigan be number one if they beat Notre Dame? And the like. That question led every Sports Center, it was the number one topic on every college football report, and in fact they pounded it into the ground. What, you dare ask, what about Nebraska? Aren’t they number one? If they win this weekend shouldn’t they stay number one? Hasn’t that been the tradition? (For more on that tradition, see below). Well, they all seemed to forget about Nebraska. Could it be because Nebraska was landlocked in the middle of “fly over” territory? Maybe. But more than likely it had more to do with the fact that Nebraska was not going to be on one of Mickey Rat’s networks on New Years Day. Oh, and by the way, remember that Peyton Manning guy, the guy on the other team that would not end up on ESPN/ABC on New Years Day? Well, he played his ass off all year. But when ESPN/ABC showed highlights of him, he was getting sacked, throwing an interception, or some other unflattering event. Then, they began to show highlights of another player. Charles Woodson from Michigan. They showed him intercepting passes, catching passes, running punts back for touchdowns, basically doing everything right. You could tell from the highlight reel he was amazing. And poor Peyton Manning, he came back for his senior year and was just doing awful (at least it seemed that way from the ESPN highlights). I myself was in awe of how many touchdowns a defensive player like Charles Woodson was scoring. I thought, “Wow, that guy is good. I wonder how many T.D.’s he has this year?” The funny thing is, if you check out the numbers, Charles Woodson only ran back one kick for a touchdown. ESPN just showed that clip every time they talked about him (I just didn’t realize it was the same clip all the time). And what about poor Peyton Manning and his “disappointing” senior season? Well, a look at his stats shows that he had a Heisman-like year statistically. But wait…why didn’t we know that? Wasn’t ESPN, the “sports authority” responsible for telling us that? Well, yes, until you realize that they were going to have the Rose Bowl on ABC that year and wanted to hype the Heisman winner on their network. And they were going to make sure it happened. Never mind that their endless campaign for Charles Woodson most likely cost the clear-cut winner (Peyton Manning) his Heisman Trophy. After all, when your out pimpin’ your ho’s all that matters is money, right? Who cares if your ho’s have integrity. Ho’s are not supposed to have integrity. They are just supposed to lay down and make you money, and it is all about the ratings, right? Oh, and remember when I said earlier that when you are number one and you win, you are not supposed to have your ranking taken from you. Do you know how I know that? Well, it’s because after Nebraska soundly beat a legitimately good Tennessee team in the Orange Bowl and Michigan barely beat a mediocre Washington State team in the Rose Bowl, and the ESPN contingent were livid that you never, ever take away the number one ranking from a team that wins. In fact, before the polls even came out, as the clock ticked to double zero in the Rose Bowl (with the Nebraska/Tennessee game still to be played), Bob Greece announced that Michigan (with his little drunken son at the helm) had won the National Championship. (I mean, why wait for the polls to come out). ESPN had already orchestrated the theft of the National title from Nebraska way back in week 5 or 6 hadn’t they? Well, they didn’t count on the fact that the coaches had a conscience and decided to do what was right and give Nebraska the National Title they deserved. Those ESPN guys made nasty comments about Nebraska and how they should have never won the title when Michigan was number one and had won their bowl game. Funny though, they didn’t see any problem with Michigan jumping Nebraska in the polls (they actually went from #4 to #1) earlier in the season even though Nebraska won it’s game. Can you say double standard?

So you see, we are dealing with ratings minded media whores that have absolutely no integrity and should never, ever be taken seriously. They should be considered just what they are, cross promoting ratings prostitutes for that little flea bitten, disease carrying, Mickey Rat.

You notice it was the 'fill in guy', not Golic or Greenie that made that comment. There is a reason this guy is only in a substitute role. Consider the source.