94 National Title team

chucker21

At Illinois we spotted them a 21-0 first quarter lead.  Two tipped interceptions for TDs and a legitimate 1st Q TD with field possession inside the 50. 

But apparently, to win VOTERS you have to kill everyone.  That was the game PSU dropped to #2 in the popularity contest known as the polls.  Its a shame for us PSU, Neb. never got to play and lucky for you.

First, I remember watching the end of that game, and it went down to the wire, Ill was closing in on the end zone and fell short.

Second, its funny how you PuSsU fans conveniently forget that NU was rated ahead of the S-ittny Lions all year, until NU went on the road, against a top 20 team (K St), in a wind and sleet storm, with their 3rd team, walkon qb, won the game, yet they were dropped behind PuSsU in the polls.

That is until NU dominated CU a few weeks later and they REGAINED their rightful position in the polls.

I agree w/ another poster, though. It was 10 years ago, we have the hardware, and you have.........

Get on with it!

Its obviously you guys who care. Look at the ferver of your responses. Exclamation points, invitations to witness the trophy, weird PuSs acroynyms, ect.

I was just mildly stating that if the original poster wanted to write about something more interesting than bland nebraska, it probably would be more fun to write about dynamic penn state instead. I didnt expect a two page tirade out of the woodwork. You went and got all midwestern on me.

Its obviously you guys who care. Look at the ferver of your responses. Exclamation points, invitations to witness the trophy, weird PuSs acroynyms, ect.

I was just mildly stating that if the original poster wanted to write about something more interesting than bland nebraska, it probably would be more fun to write about dynamic penn state instead. I didnt expect a two page tirade out of the woodwork. You went and got all midwestern on me.

You come to a Husker message board and say that your team would have beat one of our best teams ever and you expect us to not react? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with it...it's great to have the debate. But don't act all confused why there's a two page response to it. Wow, a Penn State fan is outnumbered on a Husker message board? Go figure. I never would have guessed that.

"Granted, PSU wasnt as dominant the following year, but youre changing the subject, 94 is the issue at hand. And besides, it tough to send the entire Oline to the pros, starting QB, tailback, WR, TE, and safety in the first round. QB, tailback, and TE in the top 10 might add, no matter how much you sub. unless youre miami. but recruiting at local prisons is another story."

LMAO!! Ki Jana Carter turned out real well in the pros, eh? Kyle Brady? How many pro bowls did he go to? Kerry Collins, now there is an All-NFL QB. How many teams has he played for now? Should we both stating how many Huskers from the 94 team went to the pros? I'll give you a little tidbit, the entire offensive line was starting in the NFL by 96 (Graham, Stai, Weigert started for many years, in fact Weigert still does if I am not mistaken).

Facts are facts, you can say the voters were sympathetic until you are blue in the face, you can explain away close games with Indiana and Illinois. The voters knew better, plain and simple.

NU was clearly a better defense than Oregon, and Oregon held PSU to 36 points, WHEN PSU KNEW THEY HAD TO BE IMPRESSIVE to the voters. You telling me JoePa pulled off the dogs in this one too?

NU scored 24 on the top ranked D at their home field, what would they have done with an extremely porous PSU defense? My guess would be 30-35 points. No way PSU scores that many on NU when they managed a mere 38 on Oregon. NU went into Miami a 4 point dog and won by 7. Did PSU even cover against Oregon? Please, that game was still in doubt until Carter's long TD run in the 4th.

PSU played NO ONE. I believe #10 Michigan was their highest ranked opponent and they had 4 losses.

And lastly, you show your true colors saying NU ran because they couldn't pass. I believe Steve Spurrier was quoted as saying the same thing in 95, worked out real well for him. Any idea how NU scored their first TD against Miami? LOL! Brook Berringer threw for 294 yards against Kansas in 1994, the most yards Kerry Collins threw for in 1994 was 328.............against 0-11 Rutgers, who lost to Navy that year 54-21......Navy!!! LOL! Thanks for stopping by but your arguments are just plain awful.

A bunch of my friends got together and voted on what to get me for christmas this year. They chipped in an found a superbowl ring on Ebay from the 85 bears. By Nebraska standards, I guess I am a superbowl champion now because the hardware is in my possession.

Does the ring say New England Patriots? They finished #2 that year, same as PSU in 94.

With all due props to Joe Pa, after the "Bobby Bowden Lifetime Achievement Championship Trophy" was awarded the year before, it's obvious that the number of wins was a deciding factor.

If you accept that ND didn't win it in '93 (even though we beat FSU, but ended with an 11-1 record against their 12-1 record) - then you pretty much have to use the same criteria for NU, which gives them the '94 NC (NU - 13-0, PSU 12-0).

If you can't, then you must cede the point that ND deserved in in '93 (and I don't know of *any* PSU fan who will ever give ND any credit at all...;) ).

It's a win-win....either NU deserves the trophy in '94 or ND does in '93 - so squirm beneath the weight of my incontrovertible logic, little Nittny Lion! Squirm!

IRISH!

Great point Irish. Although I don't like Notre Dame, they make more of a case for the national title in 93 than Penn State did in 94. And bluewhitebenji or benard, whatever you wanna be called, you have your own hardware, big 10 champion. :) Rehashing an argument that is 10 years old, and wasn't even much of an argument back then, is pathetic. While we're at it, I will voice my displeasure for splitting the national championship with Texas in 1970. Or with Michigan in 1997, or not going to the national championship in 1999 while Virginia Tech played out of a week Big East conference to get there, or getting screwed by the officials in the 1993 orange bowl. Move on, I have.

Great point Irish. Although I don't like Notre Dame, they make more of a case for the national title in 93 than Penn State did in 94. And bluewhitebenji or benard, whatever you wanna be called, you have your own hardware, big 10 champion. :) Rehashing an argument that is 10 years old, and wasn't even much of an argument back then, is pathetic. While we're at it, I will voice my displeasure for splitting the national championship with Texas in 1970. Or with Michigan in 1997, or not going to the national championship in 1999 while Virginia Tech played out of a week Big East conference to get there, or getting screwed by the officials in the 1993 orange bowl. Move on, I have.

Or the blind officials in Happy Valley in 1982 that missed 2 calls (one clearly out of bounds, another catch that wasn't) at the end of the game that PSU ended up winning over NU.

Youre right. Notre Dame is my least favorite of all teams ever. But that doesnt mean I wont acknowledge they deserved more of the title than FSU did in 93. You guys always conveniently leave out the most important factor. THOSE TEAMS PLAYED EACH OTHER ON THE FIELD. Only someone in Nebraska would be so obtuse i suppose. Ill give credit where credit is due. should have been at least a split. All your analogies and incontrovertible logic break down at this point. They are inaccurate and dont make sense.

The fact that you guys continue to point to hardware, other teams that got screwed, referees and the patriots only goes to show that you admitting to yourselves, at least on the inside, that you are lucky that NU didnt have to play PSU in 94. Thats my only point. I never said who would beat who. All your grandstanding is facade.

PSU National Champs. 1968, 1969, 1973, 1982, 1986, 1994, 2005