94 National Title team

chucker21

You neglect to mention these facts:

The 94 PSU starting offense generally only played the first half...as they were usually ahead 28 or 35 to 7. Paterno was never one to run up the score.

The average possession time of an offensive series was 2:01. Two minutes to score each time they had the ball. Collins was sacked just once all year.

That leaves the entire rest of the game for the defense to be on the field. Of course the defensive stats are skewed. Even the first team defense was substituted in the second half to make way for younger players.

Like I said, you guys are lucky you didnt have to face PSU. And while joe may not have run the score up on old tommy, it wouldnt have been pretty.

Mr. Bluewhitebenji, like it was stated earlier, when you played a weak schedule, you should be able to put up points and put up points fast. But just because you scored fast does not mean that you were a more dominate team. Nebraska ran the ball which uses a lot of clock. We prefered to use long drives and eat up the clock to wear down defenses.

You neglect to mention these facts:

The 94 PSU starting offense generally only played the first half...as they were usually ahead 28 or 35 to 7. Paterno was never one to run up the score.

The average possession time of an offensive series was 2:01. Two minutes to score each time they had the ball. Collins was sacked just once all year.

That leaves the entire rest of the game for the defense to be on the field. Of course the defensive stats are skewed. Even the first team defense was substituted in the second half to make way for younger players.

Like I said, you guys are lucky you didnt have to face PSU. And while joe may not have run the score up on old tommy, it wouldnt have been pretty.

I don't think Penn St deserved a piece of the title that year because of everything that has been said. But if you still feel bad, just think of it as payback for the title you stole from us in '82. Things always even out sooner or later.

Nebraska ran the ball because you couldnt pass. theres a difference. and it took alot of time because you couldnt do it all that well. PSU ran a balanced offense. Running scored as quickly as passing. The average scoring play was 36 yds. And im not sure those in the big 12 should be talking about weak schedules. Glass houses people. and no, im not upset about it, tommy couldnt win one outright, so it was handed to him by sympathetic voters. I understnad that and its cool. I only mentioned that if the original poster wanted to write about the best team in 94, PSU would probably be a better story...and that I was willing to help out. Just trying to be nice.

Nebraska ran the ball because you couldnt pass. theres a difference. and it took alot of time because you couldnt do it all that well. PSU ran a balanced offense. Running scored as quickly as passing. The average scoring play was 36 yds. And im not sure those in the big 12 should be talking about weak schedules. Glass houses people. and no, im not upset about it, tommy couldnt win one outright, so it was handed to him by sympathetic voters. I understnad that and its cool. I only mentioned that if the original poster wanted to write about the best team in 94, PSU would probably be a better story...and that I was willing to help out. Just trying to be nice.

Best teams don't finish #2. I don't think Duke was the best team in college basketball last year, UCONN was, they finished #1. The Carolina Panthers weren't the best team in the NFL last year because the Patriots finished #1. Pistons finished with the trophy last year, were the Lakers the best team? And PSU wasn't the best team in 94 because the Huskes finished #1. You can argue 'if's' and 'buts' and 'this sould have happened' and all that, but you have no argument over who was the CHAMPION of college FB in 1994, the HUSKERS! Come to Lincoln sometime, I'll show you the trophies!

you make a curious point about substituting players. If that was the case (JoePa subbed mercifully, while TO run it up mercilessly) then why was NU the so much more dominant team the following year? Shouldn't JoePa's liberal subbing led to some depth for ol' PSU? Meanwhile, cold-hearted, run-it-up, win-at-all-costs Osborne managed to win or share a couple more in the following seasons. Something doesn't add up here... :wacko:

Hey heres and idea, write about the contraversy behind the 94 season.

Who really did deserve the championship?

It looks like you have plenty of FACTS on why Nebraska was the better team already!

But you might have to do some more research for the Penn State side.

I haven't seen a convincing arguement yet.

So there probably aren't any.

In second thought, you better just make it a section of your paper.

Say something like: tho NU was clearly the best team in 94, some disgruntle Penn State fans

dispute their greatness, then present the facts.

Nebraska ran the ball because you couldnt pass.    theres a difference.    and it took alot of time because you couldnt do it all that well.  PSU ran a balanced offense.  Running scored as quickly as passing.  The average scoring play was 36 yds.    And im not sure those in the big 12 should be talking about weak schedules.  Glass houses people.  and no, im not upset about it, tommy couldnt win one outright, so it was handed to him by sympathetic voters.  I understnad that and its cool.  I only mentioned that if the original poster wanted to write about the best team in 94, PSU would probably be a better story...and that I was willing to help out.  Just trying to be nice.

Best teams don't finish #2. I don't think Duke was the best team in college basketball last year, UCONN was, they finished #1. The Carolina Panthers weren't the best team in the NFL last year because the Patriots finished #1. Pistons finished with the trophy last year, were the Lakers the best team? And PSU wasn't the best team in 94 because the Huskes finished #1. You can argue 'if's' and 'buts' and 'this sould have happened' and all that, but you have no argument over who was the CHAMPION of college FB in 1994, the HUSKERS! Come to Lincoln sometime, I'll show you the trophies!

Uhhhhh, Not sure if you noticed all those examples you just gave....but you know what all those champions did and Nebraska didnt??? Earned their titles in a playoff. No one voted those teams champions. Which ties back to my original declaration....which just goes to show how lucky you guys are that you didnt have to play penn state.

Granted, PSU wasnt as dominant the following year, but youre changing the subject, 94 is the issue at hand. And besides, it tough to send the entire Oline to the pros, starting QB, tailback, WR, TE, and safety in the first round. QB, tailback, and TE in the top 10 might add, no matter how much you sub. unless youre miami. but recruiting at local prisons is another story.

bluewhite, why did PSU almost lose to Indiana and Illinois that year? They finished 6-5 and 7-5, respectively. Nobody came within 10 of NU all year until Miami in the Orange Bowl, and we even had to win @ Kansas State with our 3rd string QB! Such a good team should have been able to handle a couple of roody-poo's like Indiana and Illinois a little better, right?

bluewhite, why did PSU almost lose to Indiana and Illinois that year? They finished 6-5 and 7-5, respectively. Nobody came within 10 of NU all year until Miami in the Orange Bowl, and we even had to win @ Kansas State with our 3rd string QB! Such a good team should have been able to handle a couple of roody-poo's like Indiana and Illinois a little better, right?

You obviously have no idea about either of those games. So Ill fill you in.

At Illinois we spotted them a 21-0 first quarter lead. Two tipped interceptions for TDs and a legitimate 1st Q TD with field possession inside the 50. Coming back on a staunch D, (the final record doesnt show this, but two DE and a LB went on to be all-pro from that team. Much the same as PSU defense this year. The only D1 defense in the country that didnt allow an opposing team to score more than 21pts all year. Even more impressive that this years O was probably the worst in the history of college football. yeah we lost 6-4.)

At Indiana I believe the score was 34-31. Going into the 4th Q the score was 34-10. Paterno is good friends and has great respect for coach Dinardo (IU) and called off the dogs very early. Indiana scored a 4th Q TD against our 9th stringers and with less than a minute to go launched a 4th down hail mary TD. Then recovered the onsides and launched another hail mary TD as time expired. That hardly qualifies as 'barely winning' The game was never in any doubt, and most thought, incorrectly, that a win was a win. But apparently, to win VOTERS you have to kill everyone. That was the game PSU dropped to #2 in the popularity contest known as the polls. Its a shame for us PSU, Neb. never got to play and lucky for you.

Tommie knows his stuff. I agree 100%, NU would have had a much easier time with PSU on neutral turf than Miami at home. I actually think PSU was the 3rd best team in the nation that year behind NU and Miami. If you would like to see the NC trophies from that year, come to Lincoln for a game sometime, they are most impressive!

I would actually like to think that CU was a better team than PSU that year, as Tommie pointed out, they had similarly explosive and talented offenses, yet CU at least had a respectable defense. They didnt give up 500+ yards to a mediocre Oregon St team in their bowl game.

Heck, PSU would have likely finished 3rd in the Big 8.

Sure, they would have scored a few on NU's D, but they couldnt have stopped Frazier, Larry, and the boys.

NU 45 PSU 24

To be quite honest, who gives a crap? This happened 10 years ago and you are obviously a bitter fan who has nothing good to hold onto for Penn State football than that year where they fell short. Penn St. was good, Nebraska was better. Stats don't lie, voters agreed and the trophies prove it. Move on.