Recruits enjoy visit from Osborne

LJS

Recruits enjoy visits from Osborne

BY BRENT C. WAGNER / Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Nov 30, 2007 - 01:12:16 am CST

Sean Fisher skipped out of part of calculus class Thursday morning.

“It was kind of nice,” the Nebraska football recruit from Millard North High School said.

His reason for getting out of class wasn’t too shabby, either. You know, just talking some football with Tom Osborne.

Nebraska’s interim athletic director planned to recruit a few days this week, after passing a NCAA certification test that allows him to make visits.

Osborne talked with one-time Nebraska commit Trevor Robinson of Elkhorn on Thursday evening. Wade Robinson, the player’s father, confirmed Osborne visited their home, but declined further comment.

Lincoln Southwest’s Baker Steinkuhler previously spoke with Osborne on the phone, but said he has has no plans for an Osborne visit.

Fisher learned earlier this week Osborne wanted to speak with him.

“I was kind of excited,” Fisher said. “Obviously, he’s had a great deal of success, and it’s pretty cool to talk to somebody who won national championships.”

The 20-minute meeting at Millard North included NU assistant coach Shawn Watson, Millard North coach Fred Petitio and Fisher’s teammate, Brian Thorson, who has committed to Buffalo.

It will come as no surprise that Osborne wasn’t saying who the new Nebraska coach would be, although there was still a buzz in the hallways upon Osborne’s arrival. His message?

“He just wanted me to know that the coaching thing would be figured out shortly, and we’d have more contact once that happens,” Fisher said.

It was the first time Fisher had met Osborne. He was in awe of Osborne at first, but soon it was like talking with any other football coach.

Fisher mostly listened, but Osborne asked if Fisher remains fully committed to the Huskers. What was he going to do, tell Osborne no?

“The biggest thing for me is I just want to get the coaching thing figured out, so I can start to establish a relationship with whoever the new staff is,” Fisher said.

Omaha Westside running back Collins Okafor received a call from Osborne on Wednesday. They made no plans to meet in person, but Okafor looks forward to meeting the new coach to talk about what offense Nebraska may run.

“It was just like any other Nebraskan would tell you it was to talk to Tom Osborne — it was great,” Okafor said. “I’m sure he’ll pick the right guy for the job.”

Reach Brent C. Wagner at 473-7435 or bwagner@journalstar.com.

Great news. Hopefully this will patch up relations with Millard North as well. They have been a powerhouse in the high school circuit for years, and Solich/Callahan-era Nebraska always seemed to snub their players when it came to scholarships.

Several Millard North players, like Adam Shada (Iowa starting CB), Seth Olsen (Iowa starting RT), Jeff Tarpinian (Iowa sophomore LB) and Jake Galusha (Colorado State starting FS) haven't even been glanced at by Nebraska.

LJS

The 20-minute meeting at Millard North included NU assistant coach Shawn Watson, Millard North coach Fred Petitio and Fisher’s teammate, Brian Thorson, who has committed to Buffalo.

It will come as no surprise that Osborne wasn’t saying who the new Nebraska coach would be, although there was still a buzz in the hallways upon Osborne’s arrival. His message?

“He just wanted me to know that the coaching thing would be figured out shortly, and we’d have more contact once that happens,” Fisher said.

Interesting that no one started the buzz about the Buffalo committ in attendance.

LJS

Interesting that no one started the buzz about the Buffalo committ in attendance.

That's the first thing that struck me in the article. I've had a few different thoughts on this, but feel it was probably just a courtesy so the kid didn't feel hung out in the wind. Not many players from Nebraska have historically went to Buffalo, so it might be safe to assume he went because of Gill? With all the rumors maybe Dr Tom just wanted to keep him in the loop on where they are at. Pretty classy.