Pelini at work putting together a staff

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/1...7a547524891.txt

New Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini wouldn’t elaborate Sunday when asked who’d he hire as assistants.

It appears, however, that Pelini’s first staff will have some familiar faces and strong Nebraska ties.

Two sources close to the situation told the Journal Star that Ron Brown, a former Tom Osborne and Frank Solich assistant, will be a part of Pelini’s staff. Marvin Sanders, who coached with Pelini under Solich in 2003, is in town and will also be a part of the staff, sources said.

Past conversations indicate that other leading candidates to be part of Pelini’s staff at Nebraska would include Carl Pelini, Bo’s brother, and Barney Cotton, offensive coordinator at Nebraska in 2003. It also seems likely that current assistant Shawn Watson might be retained.

Reached after Sunday’s news conference, Brown said he didn’t want to comment until Pelini had named his staff.

As for the hiring of Pelini?

“I think it’s a great choice,” Brown said. “Bo will bring about a high level of expertise in a number of areas. And I know Coach Osborne had to make some hard decisions along the way.”

Pelini met with members of former coach Bill Callahan’s staff Sunday night.

“He was very, very professional,” cornerbacks coach Phil Elmassian said of Pelini. “Extremely professional.

“I hope I can have three or four hours to sit down with him and talk football. He’s a hell of a football coach.”

Elmassian confirmed that he wouldn’t return as an assistant coach, that Pelini, not surprisingly, is bringing in his own defensive staff.

Elmassian wouldn’t elaborate on what other coaches may be staying or leaving, saying the question was unfair to ask of him. Other assistants reached Sunday night wouldn’t comment on the meeting.

Former Nebraska All-America linebacker Trev Alberts, who attended Sunday’s news conference, said the untold story was Pelini’s assistants.

“We’re going to have one of the best coaching staffs in the country,” said Alberts, a football analyst for CSTV.

Alberts said he was in town visiting old friends, and perhaps making some new ones. He said he plans on sticking around today to visit with Pelini.

Alberts said it’s the first time he’s been in Lincoln “for anything of substance” since 1993, his final year playing with the Huskers.

“It really hasn’t been because I don’t want to, it’s just because I haven’t been able to,” Alberts said.

“And I think there is some truth to the fact that the last four years, many of us didn’t feel necessarily wanted.”

Alberts said Pelini is the right man to fix recent problems with Nebraska football, most notably the lack of a sense of urgency.

“The previous coaching staff, they understood football. You don’t get to the level they were at by not understanding X’s and O’s,” Alberts said. “But there’s a difference between simply knowing and understanding football, and then getting young people to respond. Bo Pelini has a track record of getting people to respond.”

Alberts doesn’t expect a long rebuilding process.

“This is not a situation where we go through these processes of, ‘Well, we don’t have any talent,’ and then the next year, ‘Well, we’ve got to teach them the system.’

“There is a lot of talent here at Nebraska. I truly believe that. With the proper coaching and motivation, I truly believe that they’re going to be competing for the Big 12 North again next year.”

Barney Cotton? :huh:

i like Barney Cotton as a OL coach but not as an OC. Plus his son is a 3 :star TE that would be a pretty good get at this point in time

I guess if he keeps Watson, that's what Cotton will end up doing.

So I guess that won't bother me... as long as those linemen get mean and kill some people.

Bring the pancakes, and I'll bring the syrup! :horns2

i like Barney Cotton as a OL coach but not as an OC. Plus his son is a 3 :star TE that would be a pretty good get at this point in time

So I guess that won't bother me... as long as those linemen get mean and kill some people.

And we recruit Cotton's son who is a darn good TE away from Louisville!

And we recruit Cotton's son who is a darn good TE away from Louisville!

That too...

I've got tremendous respect for Ron Brown, but at this point, he's been out of football for 4 years. He was a receivers coach that taught receivers how to block more than anything. I just wonder if they'd want to have him on staff.

I'm also not sure of Barney Cotton. He was a decent OC...but it really is had to say if he'd be a good OC to match what Pelini wants to do with the offense.

I've got tremendous respect for Ron Brown, but at this point, he's been out of football for 4 years. He was a receivers coach that taught receivers how to block more than anything. I just wonder if they'd want to have him on staff.

I'm also not sure of Barney Cotton. He was a decent OC...but it really is had to say if he'd be a good OC to match what Pelini wants to do with the offense.

GREAT point about Ron Brown. I thought about that today as well! Will Brown be able to teach our young studs about route running, catching and such or just run blocking?

GREAT point about Ron Brown. I thought about that today as well! Will Brown be able to teach our young studs about route running, catching and such or just run blocking?

don't fret...Ron's beeb offered positions at Florida State and in Tampa Bay over the past 10-12 years. After listening to him on the news tonight, he sounds like he is still very much a coach. He and Pelini are also very close.

Don't worry about Ron Brown. He brings as much fire as Pelini and is not just a tutor of football but a tutor of life. Something sorely missing since Blake left on the BC staff. A man like Ron Brown brings more to the table than I can put into words. In addition he's also a fine recruiter.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/1...7a547524891.txt

New Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini wouldn’t elaborate Sunday when asked who’d he hire as assistants.

It appears, however, that Pelini’s first staff will have some familiar faces and strong Nebraska ties.

Two sources close to the situation told the Journal Star that Ron Brown, a former Tom Osborne and Frank Solich assistant, will be a part of Pelini’s staff. Marvin Sanders, who coached with Pelini under Solich in 2003, is in town and will also be a part of the staff, sources said.

Past conversations indicate that other leading candidates to be part of Pelini’s staff at Nebraska would include Carl Pelini, Bo’s brother, and Barney Cotton, offensive coordinator at Nebraska in 2003. It also seems likely that current assistant Shawn Watson might be retained.

Reached after Sunday’s news conference, Brown said he didn’t want to comment until Pelini had named his staff.

As for the hiring of Pelini?

“I think it’s a great choice,” Brown said. “Bo will bring about a high level of expertise in a number of areas. And I know Coach Osborne had to make some hard decisions along the way.”

Pelini met with members of former coach Bill Callahan’s staff Sunday night.

“He was very, very professional,” cornerbacks coach Phil Elmassian said of Pelini. “Extremely professional.

“I hope I can have three or four hours to sit down with him and talk football. He’s a hell of a football coach.”

Elmassian confirmed that he wouldn’t return as an assistant coach, that Pelini, not surprisingly, is bringing in his own defensive staff.

Elmassian wouldn’t elaborate on what other coaches may be staying or leaving, saying the question was unfair to ask of him. Other assistants reached Sunday night wouldn’t comment on the meeting.

Former Nebraska All-America linebacker Trev Alberts, who attended Sunday’s news conference, said the untold story was Pelini’s assistants.

“We’re going to have one of the best coaching staffs in the country,” said Alberts, a football analyst for CSTV.

Alberts said he was in town visiting old friends, and perhaps making some new ones. He said he plans on sticking around today to visit with Pelini.

Alberts said it’s the first time he’s been in Lincoln “for anything of substance” since 1993, his final year playing with the Huskers.

“It really hasn’t been because I don’t want to, it’s just because I haven’t been able to,” Alberts said.

“And I think there is some truth to the fact that the last four years, many of us didn’t feel necessarily wanted.”

Alberts said Pelini is the right man to fix recent problems with Nebraska football, most notably the lack of a sense of urgency.

“The previous coaching staff, they understood football. You don’t get to the level they were at by not understanding X’s and O’s,” Alberts said. “But there’s a difference between simply knowing and understanding football, and then getting young people to respond. Bo Pelini has a track record of getting people to respond.”

Alberts doesn’t expect a long rebuilding process.

“This is not a situation where we go through these processes of, ‘Well, we don’t have any talent,’ and then the next year, ‘Well, we’ve got to teach them the system.’

“There is a lot of talent here at Nebraska. I truly believe that. With the proper coaching and motivation, I truly believe that they’re going to be competing for the Big 12 North again next year.”

Obviously the Journal Star has no idea what's going on. Don't they know IBR has guaranteed us that Turner Gill will be OC and Mike Stoops DC? Come on Journal Star, quit asking all these coaches and former players what's going to happen. If you want to know the scoop, go to IBR. He's got sources within the U of A athletic department you know. Get with it. :sarcasm

One person I HOPE they get rid of is Elmo. I think his coaching of the DB's these past few years were down right HORRIBLE! Especially his patented move of "run with your back towards the ball and let the back of your helmet knock the ball away and if that don't work, just throw your arms up in the air and face guard em!". :)

Elmo confirmed he won't return as an assistant coach :w00t:w00t